Author Topic: Twelve Months stuck?  (Read 7643 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Twelve Months stuck?
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2024, 06:53:29 PM »
... It is completely different from the wait between Skin Game and Peace Talks, when you heard and read nothing ...

Not quite nothing.  The info was out there, but it was all non-Dresden personal Jim-info, and so didn't permeate the fandom quickly, nor completely, and was poorly known.

Housing transition that collapsed (resulting in extensive couch-surfing and borrowing friends' spare-rooms (q.v. Woolfe's "room of one's own" -- Jim had none), death of a beloved dog, death of a marriage... Stuff you'd expect to wreak havoc upon a creative project like writing.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2024, 11:37:53 AM »
This maybe a controversial opinion but I'm somewhat hopeful that Jim is taking his time on this. I've seen a lot of series go from beloved to hated or ignored based on the last chunk including GoT and Star War sequel trilogy. My hope is that Jim is taking his time to ensure that Harry's relationships are written well. Since this is first book after Murph's death, first one where Harry's with Lara, first one with Harry out of the White Council, and first one with Harry being personally antagonistic with Ebenezer and Carlos, it could make or break several key components of the rest of the series.

This is the general opinion of most of the fandom. I do not remember if this was when we were waiting for SG or for PT, but we here had decided we do not want a half-assed book that comes soon. I think that was inspired for some WOJ but we began chanting the mantra "Full-assed for the win!" (FTW). So many of us had our Forum signatures saying FTW as a show of support to Jim taking his time.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2024, 09:28:56 PM »
72% now. That was fast.  ;D

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2024, 08:53:02 AM »
Oops. 74%

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2024, 07:31:59 PM »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2024, 11:54:14 PM »
Awesome!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2024, 03:42:24 PM »
76%

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2024, 08:58:18 PM »
78% now. The progress is progressing.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2024, 02:42:34 AM »
78% now. The progress is progressing.

:D

We wants it, Preciousssss, yessss...

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2024, 06:17:28 PM »
Apparently in DragonCon there is a WoJ that the book will be ready in around a month  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2024, 08:48:26 PM »
Apparently in DragonCon there is a WoJ that the book will be ready in around a month  :)

Found this on Reddit:
New WOJ from DragonCon: 12 Months will be finished in 3-4 weeks

He said finished finished as in edited and everything. Looks like it’s heading to the printers soon!

Happy happy joy joy

Offline Lord Kinbote

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2024, 02:58:32 PM »
Assuming WOJ being reported from DragonCon is accurate, we now have a stick in the ground by which to judge Butcher's estimates.  I confess I have a hard time believing that both the current 78% is accurate, and his statement that the  remaining 22% will be finished by no later than September 30, 2024 will also turn out to be accurate (though I hope both are).

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2024, 05:35:02 PM »
... we now have a stick in the ground by which to judge Butcher's estimates ...

We do; but I'm dubious about using this single stick and trying to generalize...

OTOH, this thread actually has several sticks planted:

my "50%" OP is useless, as it was a "been 50% a long time, I think" gripe, so AFAIK there's no document as to when Jim bumped it up to 50%.
HOWEVER:
@Dina reports 54% on 14 June
my own 58% on 23 June
@vincentric posted 60% on 28 June
(etc.  I'm not actually going to try to plot the dates vs the %complete; I will look with mild interest upon the efforts of anyone who does want to do an analysis ...  8)  ... )

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2024, 10:21:43 PM »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile