Author Topic: Twelve Months stuck?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline cander891

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Twelve Months stuck?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2024, 05:27:44 PM »
Because he planned to write Mirror Mirror but noticed there should be a book in between where Harry deals with his trauma.
All the other books have been planned or rather outlined before Storm Front was published. Twelve Months is a necessary addition.

This isnt the first time its deviated though from that outline, right? IIRC Changes was supposed to be 10, or was that some Mandela effect memory I am having?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2024, 05:37:40 PM »
This isnt the first time its deviated though from that outline, right? IIRC Changes was supposed to be 10, or was that some Mandela effect memory I am having?
Not sure about Changes, but I think he switched Death Masks and Blood Rites. Or was it Blood Rites and Dead Beat? Or even Death Masks and Dead Beat?
But this is different, those were just changes in already existing plans. Not something completely new like Twelve Months.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 05:39:40 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2024, 06:29:23 PM »
Mm, I did not know about that. That is weird, considering all the things that should be happening in 12M.
Was he planning to have the wedding right at the beginning of MM? Or the wedding itself is a new idea? What about Justine pregnancy? So many questions...
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
  • RIP Fox Sticking-Tongue out Profile Pic- 2007-2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2024, 01:29:23 AM »
Not sure about Changes, but I think he switched Death Masks and Blood Rites. Or was it Blood Rites and Dead Beat? Or even Death Masks and Dead Beat?
But this is different, those were just changes in already existing plans. Not something completely new like Twelve Months.

I think it was Dead Beat and Proven Guilty.
Pew pew PEW!

Offline peterwiggin94

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2024, 02:37:51 AM »
My very earliest memory was 20-21 case files plus BAT which makes 23-24 books. Since he's added Twelve Months, he plans to make it 25 books. Assuming my memory is right, he is doing it because he thinks he needs to work Harry through a lot of stuff and because he wants to step up his writing. I think he wants to stretch his legs and tell either a anthology that happens to all have Harry as POV (maybe Lara or Molly but mostly Harry) or a very introspective, moody story with comparatively little action. I'm excited for this if he does it. I love it when author stretch out because, even if the experimental stuff isn't as good, it usually improves the regular stuff.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2024, 11:09:54 AM »
Do not forget he split PT. BG was not in the plan as an independent book.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2024, 01:53:04 PM »
I think it was Dead Beat and Proven Guilty.
That's it! Molly and Sue. I cannot imagine how the story would have been, hadn't they've been switched. How would Molly as an apprentice have fit in Dead Beat?
And there wouldn't have been that much time passing since Harry took up the coin and stopping to see Michael, thus not being around the Carpenters to notice Molly developing her magic. Maybe that's why he switched them. Molly's situation was the indirect result of Harry's absence in her life.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2024, 09:03:53 PM »
. Maybe that's why he switched them. Molly's situation was the indirect result of Harry's absence in her life.

I know Mab likes to lay that as a guilt trip on Harry, and he is willing to let himself be guilted.  However I think Molly's situation had more to do with Charity willingly blinding herself to her daughter's awakening talent.  Further complicated by her believing that if she just kept Molly away from Harry her talent would just fade away and not become an issue.  I think if she and Michael had sat down with Harry and tell him what they observed when Molly was maybe twelve or thirteen, even if Harry didn't feel he was qualified to be her master, he may have been able to suggest someone who could.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2024, 03:22:26 AM »
I know Mab likes to lay that as a guilt trip on Harry, and he is willing to let himself be guilted.  However I think Molly's situation had more to do with Charity willingly blinding herself to her daughter's awakening talent ...
I'm pretty sure Mab tasked Lea (whose schtick is abusively "inspiring" the talented) with making sure Molly went down the Left-Hand path.

We can be absolutely certain that Mab knew of Michael & Harry's close friendship, and would therefore educate herself about Michael's family; realized one or more of the early-born Carpenter kids would have a decent shot at being gifted.  Mab may have had ways to make that more-likely, or even certain.

Whatever:  she wanted levers upon Harry, and she got them.  Levers of obligation, of guilt, of covert desire (and thus more guilt).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2024, 10:49:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure Mab tasked Lea (whose schtick is abusively "inspiring" the talented) with making sure Molly went down the Left-Hand path.

We can be absolutely certain that Mab knew of Michael & Harry's close friendship, and would therefore educate herself about Michael's family; realized one or more of the early-born Carpenter kids would have a decent shot at being gifted.  Mab may have had ways to make that more-likely, or even certain.

Whatever:  she wanted levers upon Harry, and she got them.  Levers of obligation, of guilt, of covert desire (and thus more guilt).

I am not saying that any or all of what you are saying isn't true.  Actually I think a lot of it is very true, however I still think a lot, I mean A LOT, of this could have been avoided if Charity faced up to what she was, and that that power could be passed on.  She chose to ignore it when it awakened in her daughter, kept Molly from someone who'd recognize it, nor did she talk to Harry about it or her own past, thinking it would just go away like hers did..  While its true that Charity's power faded over time from lack of use, she ignored the facts that almost sent her down the warlock path until Michael saved her from that dragon.. When the power awakened, Charity had to experiment with it, like most kids would. With no master wizard guidance, like most unguided kids, she started down the slippery slope to warlockhood, only luck or Providence saved her..  Her unwillingness to admit that to herself nearly cost her daughter her head.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2024, 08:47:18 PM »
... however I still think a lot, I mean A LOT, of this could have been avoided if Charity faced up to what she was, and that that power could be passed on ...
Oh, absolutely!
But, y'know... all part of being human.  We all have weaknesses, blind spots; truths we cannot face.

And Mab retains  j-u-s-t  enough humanity to recognize (at least most of) those, and know how best to exploit them.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2024, 11:20:28 PM »
I think Molly was doing everything she could to hide her talent from Charity.  Seeing as she described to Harry (in Proven Guilty) that she pulled up a vail on her own without previous instruction must have made it much easier to keep her talent hidden.

Minor difference of opinion here, but I don’t think it was Charity not seeing the signs that her daughter was developing magical talent as much as it was Charity not wanting to believe that her daughter would develop the talent combined with Molly keeping the secret to herself. 

That is until Molly started asking other people; anyone except her parents of course, questions about magic.  Which reminds me, I wonder how much longer Jim will keep Sandra Marling in hiding.  The person who suggested using fear to keep a drug addict away from drugs hasn’t been seen since Proven Guilty.  She’s got to comeback sometime.  Unless we find out she was a disposable vessel or pawn of a supernatural being.  Unfortunately, learning that would require that at some point in the future a bad guy or gal will ignore the supervillain handbook and go into monologue mode and reveal to Harry how they fooled him and Molly in the past.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2024, 12:06:44 AM »
And progress is up to 60%.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2024, 04:19:17 AM »
 :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2024, 08:45:58 AM »
And progress is up to 60%.
You beat me. This feels much closer to 100% than before, lol.