Author Topic: Has Carlos sided with the merlin against Harry  (Read 9569 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Has Carlos sided with the merlin against Harry
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2024, 01:55:51 AM »
Indeed!
You have not idea how confusing it is for me with some of those. By the way. We have an idiom very similar in meaning to "pulling my leg" but it would translate as "pulling the hair". It is a little more complicated, because if you actually pull someone by grabbing their hair, that would be "tirar del pelo", but the idiom for when someone is pranking you is "tomar el pelo", which is...softer. Like taking someone hair in your hand but not actually pulling it. But anyways, it is about hair and not legs.

Oh, I'm quite aware that other languages have their odd/absurd idioms, too!

So no, I'm not surprised you find English difficult in this way... as with many things, English is just a bit worse in this regard than most languages are.

You may have heard:  other languages have "loanwords."  English drags the other language down an alleyway, hits it over the head, and goes through the pockets for loose vocabulary and grammar.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2024, 02:55:24 AM »
I love that joke  :)
But seriously, I never tried to say English was worse than any other language. Just that it is the foreign language I use the most, so it is the one that usually baffles me with something like "it is raining cats and dogs". Or, well, Snowleopard loved to tell the story of when I was new here and I thought that "going commando" meant something like "going berserk"  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2024, 11:08:39 AM »
I love that joke  :)
But seriously, I never tried to say English was worse than any other language. Just that it is the foreign language I use the most, so it is the one that usually baffles me with something like "it is raining cats and dogs". Or, well, Snowleopard loved to tell the story of when I was new here and I thought that "going commando" meant something like "going berserk"  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

LMAO
Blood Rites: Gowan Commando.

There are lots of examples in the books, when I thought: this must be an idiom or something. Thank Google I could look some of them up. But I don't know how many I've been missing.
One always learns more.

Offline GreenMysticalUnicorn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2024, 06:59:01 AM »
Yeah they went South on the Carlos character. Without any justification. At least not as yet. We might need a book with carlos's viewpoint

Carlos has Harry come back from the dead is now a winter knight and then has Molly attack him. Isn’t that enough to push the man against Dresden?

He was loyal to Harry but since changes, so much has happened and so little trust has been gained. I can understand why he is suspicious of Harry now

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2024, 05:55:09 PM »
Carlos has Harry come back from the dead is now a winter knight and then has Molly attack him. Isn’t that enough to push the man against Dresden?

He was loyal to Harry but since changes, so much has happened and so little trust has been gained. I can understand why he is suspicious of Harry now

Yes, a lot has happened, I still think someone on the Senior Council got to him.  Remember Carlos was part of the plot to entrap Harry by putting that tracker on him.

Offline GreenMysticalUnicorn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2024, 09:17:02 AM »
I wouldn’t be surpsied if this is the case. If seemed quite off in fact all the wardens did.

I feel a lot when on in changes with regards to the council that we just haven’t been told. Essentially they implied the council was about to fall. Was it Lucio who said she couldn’t speak…. Then nothing. Coincidently we had the green guy step in as well. All this happened after the events of turn coat when the council was severely weakened. I think the events of changes were one huge cats poor, by the black hats to infiltrate the council. They got rid of a huge liability with the reds and Dresden was off their radar for a little while too. We think the good guys won. It was the black hats that won but we just haven’t seen that yet.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2024, 03:44:23 AM »

Yeah, no question that enough has happened to make it understandable if Carlos really has come to the conclusion that Langtry was right all along.  I myself, as I have said, suspect that in fact Carlos is probably of divided mind.  I suspect he kind of wants to believe in Harry...but can't quite anymore.  I suspect that Carlos suspects that Harry is in the process of going off the rails and doesn't even realize it himself.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2024, 10:51:36 AM »
I think that is true. After all, Harry himself was worried about becoming a monster after becoming the Winter Knight. And so, Carlos thinks the same is possible. I still do not justify all Carlos' actions but I can admit that his fears are reasonable.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2024, 12:12:26 PM »
I think that is true. After all, Harry himself was worried about becoming a monster after becoming the Winter Knight. And so, Carlos thinks the same is possible. I still do not justify all Carlos' actions but I can admit that his fears are reasonable.

Yes, but his injuries from his encounter with Molly I believe hurt Carlos more deeply mentally and emotionally, than it did physically.
How can Carlos begin to understand what happened when he tried to make love to Molly, when Molly herself doesn't or didn't understand?  This creates fear and paranoia and you can bet that someone on the Senior Council took advantage of that.  Yes, since Carlos is a leader, his fellow Wardens went along, but not all of them.