Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 58511 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #420 on: August 30, 2024, 11:25:21 AM »
As a little child I was not super afraid of spiders. I did not like them but I did not like other bugs like cockroaches or even beetles, but then for some reason I began to be especially afraid of spiders. I do not remember any particular experience. The thing is as a child raised in an appartment there were never many spiders around. Then I moved to a house and things changed. Weirdly, as I told you before, i live now in the same appartment I lived as a child and now (only a few years I would say) there are spiders. I do not know what happened, but I imagine it has something to do with the building being aged now...just as me  :)
The movement is definitely one reason for me to freak out at spiders. Of course, if they are big there is also the fact that tehy are ugly (brr, the hairy ones are worse). Likely the ones in my appartment have a small bodies, they are only moderately large due to their slender legs. I can deal with them more or less fine.

Today we are expecting the Santa Rosa storm. What is this, you ask? Well, traditionally around August 30 or 31 one there is a big storm here. Aug 30 was the day dedicated to Santa Rosa de Lima, There is a story, not really confirmed I think, that says that she (who was a nun) helped to protect the city of Lima from a pirate attack in several ways, one of which was praying for a terrible storm, that happened and chased the boats away. When I was a child, the storm always happened (maybe the 29, maybe September 1st, but no more) and the same was true in the years of my mother and grandmother. But later, with the global change, it became much more erratic or completely disappeared. But this year it is forecasted to arrive today. We will see. It is very cloudy and moderately cold. Luckily I've got to stay home for "home office". I hope hubby arrives to his job before it rains.

Edited: And he just texted me he arrived. No rain yet.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 11:31:30 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 30, 2024, 12:35:03 PM »
I think I have heard about the Santa Rosa storm at school in geography class. It occurs when the first warm winds of spring meet cold antarctic winds. I was always interested in the origins of global weather, how oceans and mountains contribute to it and about tectonic plates and volcanos.

I hope the storm won't be too severe. And yay! Hubby arrived safely.
Stay safe you two.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 30, 2024, 05:57:19 PM »
Rain arrived but so far is not too strong. It's windy but nothing serious yet. I just listened a weatherman saying it would be stronger at night, so hopefully most people will be safe at home.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 04, 2024, 02:21:03 PM »
Hi, Weird.
I'm taking a break at the moment. I promised my mom to paint her winter garden. It is a big wooden construction with plexiglass. Outside it has only 28°C but inside the construction, there are 55°C, even though I opened all the windows and switched on a big fan. I thought from the beginning, that this has been a bad idea. Ok, the idea wasn't bad per se, but the idea was to be able to sit there during the winter and to have shelter from the rain in summer. But in reality the only times one can sit there without either freezing or being baked to a crisp is in spring and autumn and when it is raining. They shouldn't have put the glass on the ceiling.
So here I am painting in the heat. I have drenched a cap in water and put it on my head. I have started about 6 hours ago and I guess I will be done in about two hours from now. After that, I will not do anything else for today. This is one of the moments in which I would wish for Harry's Winter Knight powers, lol.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 06, 2024, 11:20:20 PM »
Sorry I forgot to answer this. I've read but before I answered I got busy and then I forgot.
Your description exhausted me! You deserve a good reward after all the effort. I do hope the winter garden is looking well now.
 we are having the typical transitioning weather, with a cold day followed by a warm one and a wide thermal amplitude, meaning that we have cold nights and mornings and hot noons and afternoons. Of course, that also means that most everyone has a cold. I am doing well so far but unfortunately hubby is down with a terrible coughing and some throat pain. Luckily they are forecasting more steady warm weather for the next few days and I think that will help him.
He still remembers his duolingo though  :)

Yesterday there was a match for the World Cup classifications (eliminatories?). Argentina won 3-0 over Chile and we are happy. Beautiful goals too  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 13, 2024, 04:19:08 PM »
Hi everyone!
I wanted to tell you that I've been absent for a couple of days for a bit of a scare we had. Last week, hubby was coughing really bad. I was not too worried because I had been with something similar about a week before that and many people around were down with something like that too. He called his job and stayed at home Thurday, Friday and Monday. On Tuesday he was back at his job because he felt almost normal (he still had cough attacks but nothing so often as before). But then, he felt that he lacked air and become too agitated. So he went to the doctors (I do not how you called it, when you had something that needs urgent attention. We called it guardia, which translates as ward,  I guess). Well, they did X-ray and...pneumonia. In short, he was on the hospital, with antibiotics IV, until a few hours ago. Now he just need to keep taking antibiotics for a few days.
It was a scare manly because he is seriously obese, so this could  have been major. And until we were sure the antibiotics were working we were really, really worried.
I am emotionally exhausted, physically tired, and super happy at the same time, because we are back together at home.
So, I hope your week has been better than mine and I am glad to be back here!
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 14, 2024, 08:20:34 AM »
Oh no, what a shock! I hope hubby will be well soon and send all my best wishes and health improvement factors to you.

We are a little bit ill, too. But nothing that serious. Just some running noses, harmless coughing, raised temperature, stomach issues and headaches.
School has started last week and I didn't have the time to get better. Micro is now out of elementary school and I think she feels a bit stressed because of all the changes, though she tries to play it cool.

Autumn started as abruptly as it sometimes does with a temperature drop from over 30 to 10°C from one day to the other and almost constant rain. No wonder people get ill.

Today we are rehearsing the songs for my cousin's wedding. And Micro needs pictures for her school file. And Mini needs new shoes.

And yesterday my brother-in-law's girlfriend fell into a coma. We don't know why yet. He just told the family yesterday evening. I hope there will be news soon. She has two children.

So, all my best wishes for everyone who is not as healthy as they should be. I'll take my ibuprofen now and hope the headache will get better. Tomorrow I plan to do nothing but sleeping and occasional eating and drinking, of course.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 14, 2024, 10:48:02 AM »
Oh no, that is awful about the girlfriend of your brother-in-law. I wish her well.

Thank you for your good wishes. Hubby is doing well. The doctors told him he will still have the coughing for some days, so that is not a reason to worry. And he has not a raised temperature since yesterday (and, to be honest, he never had the temperature too high). After we arrived home we rested. I even took a nap. Then, it was just some TV. At night we watched a football match of my team, just for the normal league. It was a 4-1 win, so I was very pleased. And then I watched some Rings of Power. I know many people dislike it, but I think this season is going quite well.

I am very sorry about you and your family being ill too. The change of seasons seems to be hard in both hemispheres. Sending you all the best vibes. Poor micro. Feeling overwhelmed and being not totally healthy would make things worse. I hope she adapts soon to the new school. I think every child is super nervous when they transitioned from elementary school. I was terrified. But I loved it. Those were good years for me.

I hope all went well with the songs, shoes and pictures. Perhaps Micro has some fun with that? Fun will always help  :)

I will be doing some work today because I had done nothing for my job since this happened. But I will take some time for  rest too. I still need it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 14, 2024, 06:27:42 PM »
He should take it slow for a few weeks. My friend once had a nasty pneumonia and it took her 2 months to be able to breathe normally again.

Our rehearsal went well. We had fun and I think the songs will be good for the wedding. It just took us a while to adjust the settings of the microphones.

The girlfriend is still in a coma, but she was put there on purpose. Tomorrow or Monday they will wake her up and then we will see if she has any brain damage. I hope not.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: Yesterday at 07:30:35 AM »
Yes. It appears that is not so bad, thank God.
I am glad your rehearsals went well. I am sure it will be lovely.

Ok, wishing her the best!

I worked and I am hoping to have a nice lazy Sunday. I wish everyone a happy Sunday too.
Missing you, Md