Author Topic: Morgan's Journal Revisited  (Read 7941 times)

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan's Journal Revisited
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2020, 11:10:26 PM »
Because Morgan is going to appear in the next book (not half a book), and he needs to justify what is going to be some of his interaction with Harry, especially if alt Morgan follows him home.

Alt Morgan coming to our Harry’s timeline makes sense, Journal indicates that he knows Harry has the potential to be a destroyer, and if Alt Harry is a destroyer he knows his time-line is doomed. Alt-Luccio is likely dead, the White Council damaged beyond repair in the Red Court War, and Alt Morgan can make good on his promise to alt-Margaret.

I like this.

It would be especially nice for Harry to hear stories about Margaret from someone -- anyone -- who knew her. It's crazy that the most we've heard about her is that short bit from Luccio about how the wardens saw her.

Especially poignant to get to reconnect with his dead mother now, when he's starting to be a parent himself.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2020, 11:22:27 PM »
I think Harry will get the chance to resurrect one person by bringing them over to this timeline, and Harry may decide Morgan is the one he resurrects in this fashion because he may be the one the timeline needs most, over perhaps Susan and/or Murphy, his one true enemy over either of his true loves. The Black Council also wanted Morgan gone.

And yes, he appears to have known Margaret well, she did manage to stay one step ahead of the Wardens, and Morgan was probably the reason why, and both Harry and Thomas would like to know more.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2020, 02:54:18 AM »
So if Morgan knew all along that Harry was innocent, why all the fricking testing and making his life a horror?

I don't think he did know all along. I think Harry's actions as a Warden changed his mind.

But even then, I think maybe he wasn't 100% sure until right at the end, when it became clear that Peabody was a traitor and that Harry was one of the few Wardens not influenced.

I wonder if the White Council would consider Morgan apparently coming back to life as a breach of the Fifth Law? It may depend on whether he comes willingly or not.

Well, they don't seem to have been bothered by Harry coming back to life.

The 5th Law is specifically about necromancy.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2020, 05:50:13 AM »
The other thing that never made sense to me is Morgan, the Warden's Warden, would make promises to Margaret on any level.

We don't have the entire conversation between Margaret and Warden Morgan.  Perhaps there are qualifiers to that promise that make it more inline with the Warden Morgan we knew from the novels.  I doubt Morgan promised to protect an adult Harry from the consequences of his own decisions.  I suspect the promise was to protect the child Harry from someone like Justin getting a hold of Harry and using him from their own purposes.

I think Harry will get the chance to resurrect one person by bringing them over to this timeline, and Harry may decide Morgan is the one he resurrects in this fashion because he may be the one the timeline needs most,...

I wonder if the White Council would consider Morgan apparently coming back to life as a breach of the Fifth Law? It may depend on whether he comes willingly or not.
Well, they don't seem to have been bothered by Harry coming back to life.

The 5th Law is specifically about necromancy.

Remember that Morgan was still officially viewed as a traitor by the White Council at the time of his death.  So how is the conversation between Harry and the Senior Council going to go; I mean how is Harry going to explain it, after they see Morgan seemingly return from the dead?  I think it's going to read like a Monty Python sketch or the Abbott and Costello "Who's on First?" sketch.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2020, 09:19:46 AM »
We don't have the entire conversation between Margaret and Warden Morgan.  Perhaps there are qualifiers to that promise that make it more inline with the Warden Morgan we knew from the novels.  I doubt Morgan promised to protect an adult Harry from the consequences of his own decisions.  I suspect the promise was to protect the child Harry from someone like Justin getting a hold of Harry and using him from their own purposes.

Remember that Morgan was still officially viewed as a traitor by the White Council at the time of his death.  So how is the conversation between Harry and the Senior Council going to go; I mean how is Harry going to explain it, after they see Morgan seemingly return from the dead?  I think it's going to read like a Monty Python sketch or the Abbott and Costello "Who's on First?" sketch.

Which is why it is worth doing, besides, I think the whole pretence ‘There is no Black Council’ is about to end and the true traitors are about to be exposed.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2020, 01:55:03 PM »

Indeed.  The impression I got was the Senior Council at any rate knows that Morgan was innocent, but for political reasons have chosen to cover it up.  More interesting, what is the fall out from the effects of Peabody's ink on decisions made by the Council?  In the interest of not rocking the boat, those issues will be dealt with as quietly as possible least the Senior Council appear incompetent. So
better to maintain that Morgan was a guilty traitor than to admit the truth.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2020, 04:33:15 PM »
Harry may give them no choice, I think we are coming to the time the GateKeeper foresaw where Harry challenges the Senior Council (for real) about how they have been acting, executing Warlocks (when Demonreach is available), the actions of the Black Staff in breaking the Laws of Magic, the failure to protect and nurture the magical have nots and most of all the failure to address the Black Council.

The fear was that the White Council would split as Wizards might pick the Black Council as a putative winner, however a Harry based win against the Titan (and the Black Council) will see these fairweather wizards back Harry, as well as the majority of the Wardens and younger wizards, Harry may well have a coalition which can force change. We may also see several members of the Senior Council ‘retired’ in BG, not just the older three in Chicago, but Ancient Mai as well. We may only see a gullible Christos Merlin and GateKeeper left.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2020, 04:46:43 PM »
Harry may give them no choice, I think we are coming to the time the GateKeeper foresaw where Harry challenges the Senior Council (for real) about how they have been acting, executing Warlocks (when Demonreach is available), the actions of the Black Staff in breaking the Laws of Magic, the failure to protect and nurture the magical have nots and most of all the failure to address the Black Council.

Very possible, but it could be something a lot more dramatic.

The fear was that the White Council would split as Wizards might pick the Black Council as a putative winner, however a Harry based win against the Titan (and the Black Council) will see these fairweather wizards back Harry, as well as the majority of the Wardens and younger wizards, Harry may well have a coalition which can force change. We may also see several members of the Senior Council ‘retired’ in BG, not just the older three in Chicago, but Ancient Mai as well. We may only see a gullible Christos Merlin and GateKeeper left.

Yeah, River Shoulders comment to Harry about Listens to Wind nearing the end of his life, Eb's possible dementia, the Merlin not showing up to very important talks all hint of a possible big die off among the Senior Council.  As a consequences we might see Harry appointed to the Senior Council because he is the hero of the battle against the Titian pitted against Christos, the new Merlin, polarization is bound to be the result.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2020, 05:20:05 PM »
You missed Martha Liberties broken leg.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2020, 05:40:55 PM »
You missed Martha Liberties broken leg.

Osteoporosis, at least it wasn't a hip.  A broken hip can be devastating in the elderly. 

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2020, 09:49:21 AM »
I'm not sure I'd expect Morgan to be alive in the alt-universe.

Apparently Harry is on the run in the alt-universe. That probably doesn't have anything directly to do with the choice he made differently in GP, because the Council wouldn't have been angry at him for *not* starting the Vampire War.

So either he did something else to make the Council hunt him (and given that Harry is still alive, he might well have killed Morgan), or the Red Court struck later with better preparation and the White Council is losing or has already lost (and maybe they're the ones hunting Harry, not the Council).

-

If Eb dies in BG (as seems likely) and Harry picks up the Blackstaff, that could lead to a confrontation with the Council.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2020, 10:39:42 AM »
Not sure Harry would pick up the Black Staff, consequences without guilt are not his sort of thing, and he believes in the 7 laws and would rather be creative about doing what he needs to do without breaking them.

Besides if he returns Mother Winters walking stick, she owes him a huge favour, perhaps healing/curing Thomas?. The Mothers provided a cure for Susan remember, the unravelling, when Harry couldn’t. A bit of foreshadowing as Harry has once again a loved one in peril from their vampire half.

Mab would love him to be the Black Staff, and Mother Winter would love Mab to have been less soft and sentimental with Harry. Accepting the Black Staff back would be in keeping with Mother Winter forcing Mab to live with the consequences of her soft treatment of Harry, an unruly and headstrong Knight. Harry is Mab’s punishment.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2020, 02:50:44 PM »
Mab would love him to be the Black Staff, and Mother Winter would love Mab to have been less soft and sentimental with Harry. Accepting the Black Staff back would be in keeping with Mother Winter forcing Mab to live with the consequences of her soft treatment of Harry, an unruly and headstrong Knight. Harry is Mab’s punishment.

Or her getting her staff back would be a good thing, less antagonism between Winter and everyone else, unity is what is needed for the coming BAT.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2020, 07:35:54 PM »
Not sure Harry would pick up the Black Staff, consequences without guilt are not his sort of thing, and he believes in the 7 laws

He'd prefer not to, but then he'd have preferred not to draw on Lash's Hellfire in DB or become the Winter Knight in Changes. It just depends on what's at stake.

I don't think Harry knows about the Blackstaff being MW's walking stick, at least it's never been mentioned on-page.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2020, 10:12:47 PM »
Not sure Harry would pick up the Black Staff, consequences without guilt are not his sort of thing, and he believes in the 7 laws and would rather be creative about doing what he needs to do without breaking them.

Besides if he returns Mother Winters walking stick, she owes him a huge favour, perhaps healing/curing Thomas?. The Mothers provided a cure for Susan remember, the unravelling, when Harry couldn’t. A bit of foreshadowing as Harry has once again a loved one in peril from their vampire half.

I've long wondered the following:

1) If Mother Winter is so nasty because she's not protected from black magic backlash, hence the stick.
2) If the Blackstaff can cure existing corruption- so pull out from Harry the taint of killing DuMorne. Harry would probably be down with that.
3) If the penultimate end of the series results in the combination of the following Chekov's guns:

• Demonreach
    Harry's immunity to Nemfection
    The Darkhallow
    The Blackstaff

Or, the series ends with Harry ascending by nom noming the Nemfected, tainted powers trapped in Demonreach- as the Blackstaff pulls out the tainted aspect and Harry's Starborn status sloughs the Nemfection. And he ascends to the new Guardian of Reality- for his descendents.