Author Topic: Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago  (Read 26313 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2018, 09:35:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gmu76ritoQ 40:00

I didn't know this but Jim intends Harry to have Indiana Jones Fedora.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gmu76ritoQ 40:00

I didn't know this but Jim intends Harry to have Indiana Jones Fedora.
Oh, ya, that hat has been sorta kinda established in canon already.  Apparently there exists a hat that LTW gave McCoy way back in the day.:

Shecky posted some very interesting information about LtW and Ebenezer McCoy in the quote below
A black staff
Overalls
Flannel shirt (several to choose from, actually)
Work boots
and I'm growing a beard, which comes in appropriately grey.

What I still need to know:

Does he regularly carry any other gear besides the Blackstaff?
What color flannel shirt?
Does he have a pentacle like Harry's and Thomas'?

Be sure you get old-school overalls, not something fancy and trendy; Ebenezar uses his clothes to work in. I don't remember where, but he was also described once with a white t-shirt, which will help with the Atlanta weather. Finally, he also wears spectacles—it's only mentioned in TC, but some fake wire-rims wouldn't hurt.

When I went to NYCC 2 years ago as Ebenezar, I used black latex to show the "infection" on his hand from the Blackstaff (which, oddly, only has the descriptions of "dark" and "twisted"). It was a fun little bit to add.

FWIW, I was a bit leery of shaving my head, so out of pique and a "what the hell" attitude, I sent a question to Jim about whether Eb wears a hat. He was MOST emphatic ("You bet he has a hat"); turns out he has a black leather OOOOOLD-style hat. Listens-to-Wind gave it to him at the end of their very long feud (Jim said the details are really horrible). LtW had taken it from the last surviving paleface from the group that killed his family, so yeah, it was an ugly thing all around. Anyway, this is the hat that I got and Jim approved fully:

http://www.sheplers.com/Minnetonka-Silverthorne-oiled-leather-hat/6964.pro

Sadly, this hat is apparently no longer available. But that should give you some idea if you want to go that route.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2018, 09:51:08 PM »
Yeah I had read that too. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2018, 10:34:30 PM »
And harry used it to raise a zombie dinosaur. Which I been under the impression had still stained him with detectable black magic, same as his earlier run-in's with Black Magic had stained him in a detectable way. 

And stabbing a Senior Council Member in the face is punishable by death but is not Black Magic Council "Justice" is a wildly different topic.   :P
Here's a nice metaphor... Imagine a clear glass of water as someone's source of magic, this magic is effected directly by what they use it for, what they actually manifest, ect. squirting food coloring into it, say red for using fire magic, black ink for black magic, ect. well, once you squirt some ink into it the resulting alloy/mixture isn't ever gonna look quite the same even if you start dumping white out in to try an balance it... imagine the best you could hope for after a time is a deep purple. ;)
On the hat thing it's long been my belief that
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2018, 05:01:15 AM »
You mean except for the guy that they hunted down and put on trial with full intention of executing for stabbing a senior council member?  :P

Don't recall that happening?  Even so, it's not in the laws of magic.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2018, 01:24:38 PM »
Don't recall that happening?  Even so, it's not in the laws of magic.
Ehm, Turncoat?
But you do have a point. It's not in the laws of magic. However, the death of a wizard is considered Council business, and thus subject to investigation, capture and trial of the accused. It's not a mortal (heh) affair.
If its the scene Im thinking of, I dont think he did (at least not in the strict subconscious Free Will sense).  He was "instinctively"  moving to save Mort and tripped.

What? Like Harry tripped and Mort fell?
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
Ehm, Turncoat?
But you do have a point. It's not in the laws of magic. However, the death of a wizard is considered Council business, and thus subject to investigation, capture and trial of the accused. It's not a mortal (heh) affair.

What? Like Harry tripped and Mort fell?
haha, no...well, yes?  (PHRASING!)  Harry /literally/ tripped on ghost dust while trying to save Mort, and fell, and ended up inside mort... (But since Harry wanted to save him and Mort didnt want to die, they vocally grumbled about the grossness but in actuality had Accepted it enough to not run afoul of the angel definition of Free Will.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2018, 07:21:20 PM »
Oh was that how Morgan was supposed to have killed someone?  I don't even remember.  Who did he kill????

Morgan was a warden and therefor trusted with security.  I wonder if a non warden/Council member killed a wizard it would matter?  I mean if Harry Dresden was gunned down by Marcone would the Council do anything?  I doubt it.  So if someone who wasn't given the duty of protecting the Council killed a member I wonder if the Council would respond the same way?

They probably only care if you kill someone of importance..  Senior Council members, or something like that.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »
Oh was that how Morgan was supposed to have killed someone? I don't even remember.  Who did he kill????

Morgan was a warden and therefor trusted with security.  I wonder if a non warden/Council member killed a wizard it would matter?  I mean if Harry Dresden was gunned down by Marcone would the Council do anything?  I doubt it.  So if someone who wasn't given the duty of protecting the Council killed a member I wonder if the Council would respond the same way?

They probably only care if you kill someone of importance..  Senior Council members, or something like that.
Are you ok Groinkick...?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2018, 08:55:56 PM »
Are you ok Groinkick...?

I have read each book once...  So how many years ago was Turn Coat? LoL   So all I remember from that book was that Morgan was accused of murder, being chased by Shagnasty, Peabody was the culprit ect..  Don't remember who Morgan was supposed to have killed though.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:01:28 PM by groinkick »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
You mean except for the guy that they hunted down and put on trial with full intention of executing for stabbing a senior council member?

Luccio was the one that actually did the stabbing.

Don't remember who Morgan was supposed to have killed though.
It was in Turn Coat.  I forget his name right now...Lafortier.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:19:42 PM by raidem »

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2018, 12:36:40 AM »
We all have senile moments. I have about 10 a day.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2018, 02:55:07 AM »
We all have senile moments. I have about 10 a day.
Yea I was in the middle of an online match today and I forgot where I was or what I was doing for a minute... it was very unsettling...

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2018, 03:03:37 AM »
Oh, I can understand that. Sorry.
what kind of match?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2018, 04:28:11 AM »
uh.uh, that was his fault, not Harry's. Perhaps he could put some blaming in Mab.

You think so, I think so, but the question is does Nicodemus think so?  I fully expect him to go after Maggie in some way at some point.  That was foreshadowed in Skin Game, after all.