Author Topic: Supernatural Nations you'd like to see.  (Read 20977 times)

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Nations you'd like to see.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »
Harry does refer to Vadderung as "Thunder's Father".  Could Vadderung actually BE Thor?  After Ragnarok, the ending of their world, they reestablished here as mortals?

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
Well any true die hard Star Wars fan will know that Vader means father,

Waitasecond, there, pard.  DARTH DAD?!?!

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 04:17:58 PM »
In Norse mythology, Thor is a hammer-wielding god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, oak trees, strength, the protection of mankind, and also hallowing, healing and fertility. The cognate deity in wider Germanic mythology and paganism was known in Old English as Þunor and in Old High German as Donar, stemming from a Common Germanic *Þunraz.
Vadderung isn't a precise word but it comes back in Germanic as 'shifting, transferring" as well as Hereditary or inheritance. So Thor's likely... or Thor's son. I still see a mesh up of Greek into Norse mythos. An inheritance happened there somewhere the same as Hecate=Fae hierarchy.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 06:29:13 PM »
Donar = Thor https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donar_(disambiguation)
Vadder = Father
-ung suffix = -ing suffix https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/-ung

The name translates to "Thor Fathering".  An apt name for Odin, who fathered Thor.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2018, 06:58:04 PM »
Except you'd be hard pressed to find Odin associated with the weather in any mythology.
Odin is often associated with lightning in the franchise, but in mythology he is never mentioned as a god of lightning or the sky, unlike his son Thor.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2018, 08:02:19 PM »
Except you'd be hard pressed to find Odin associated with the weather in any mythology.
Where is this quote coming from?

One of Odin's many names is Þundr, which means Thunderer.  Another is Viðrir, which means Stormer.  Another is Hveðrungr, which means "Roarer" or "Weather-Maker".  He also has at least seven names that incorporate "Father" into the name, at least one of which refers to one of his sons (Baldrsfaðr, Baldr's father).

Harry does refer to Vadderung as "Thunder's Father".  Could Vadderung actually BE Thor?  After Ragnarok, the ending of their world, they reestablished here as mortals?
Thor and Donar translate as "thunder".  So the father of "thunder" would be Odin.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »
Yes he has many names https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_of_Odin But no weather associations directly. And he's the 'Stormer' in the edda's when arguing with Loki, and of course his other names support this boisterous nature such as Hjarrandi= Screamer Or Göllnir =Yeller Óðins nöfn (3)
Gollorr=Yeller Óðins nöfn (1)
Göllungr=Yeller Óðins nöfn (5)
Seems his motif is raging at people, not calling down the lightning.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »
Yes he has many names https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_of_Odin But no weather associations directly. And he's the 'Stormer' in the edda's when arguing with Loki, and of course his other names support this boisterous nature such as Hjarrandi= Screamer Or Göllnir =Yeller Óðins nöfn (3)
Gollorr=Yeller Óðins nöfn (1)
Göllungr=Yeller Óðins nöfn (5)
Seems his motif is raging at people, not calling down the lightning.
I don't think it was just for raging at people, because it appears to mostly be used in description of battle cries. 

Here's an article written by a Cal State grad student, that seems well versed in Viking history, about how Odin was associated with the weather.

Now maybe she's wrong.  But she seems like more of an authority than most internet sites, which regurgitate things on other sites.

As for DV being Thor after Odin died in Ragnarok, let's not forget that Thor was also supposed to die in Ragnarok.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2018, 11:40:39 PM »
I'm too tired of my internet Fu&*()g up to rewrite this crap a third time. But suffice it to say if the Edda's say they both died then nothing in them can be applied to figuring out our current Odins ID. also The Norse also prayed and sacrificed to the god Njord for safe seafaring and to Odin for general weather[/quote]I'd say it implies more of a sun god position. and I'd rather trust the sourced material still than an article written this last year by a student.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 03:23:58 AM »
I'm too tired of my internet Fu&*()g up to rewrite this crap a third time. But suffice it to say if the Edda's say they both died then nothing in them can be applied to figuring out our current Odins ID. also The Norse also prayed and sacrificed to the god Njord for safe seafaring and to Odin for general weatherI'd say it implies more of a sun god position. and I'd rather trust the sourced material still than an article written this last year by a student.
You're assuming that Ragnarok already occurred, but WoJ is that Loki is still locked up.  Ergo, he's still alive, rather than being dead like he's supposed to be after Ragnarok.  Everything points to Ragnarok not having occurred yet.

Again, what sources material?  I haven't found many translated texts.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
You're assuming that Ragnarok already occurred, but WoJ is that Loki is still locked up.  Ergo, he's still alive, rather than being dead like he's supposed to be after Ragnarok.  Everything points to Ragnarok not having occurred yet.

Again, what sources material?  I haven't found many translated texts.
Many Ragnaroks have happened, or at least one I can evidence, Going back to Bob's original explanation of the queens whom used to be. They don't exist on our plain, can't anymore. Because they are primal spirits of what was, they are literally the Ghosts of a previous epoch. (You might point to the same thing for Hades and why in this age he can no longer effect fate. He admitted he could before by default then, noting a considerable difference then in how he can interact with our world now by comparison.) They birthed the new Age, also why they are now 'Mothers' despite new evidence pointing to the Queen as the one whose giving birth, they already gave birth.
Ragnarok is the end of an age and the beginning of a new one, the lifting of the veil, ect. Odin's Ragnarok happened when Valhalla fell from position on the Gates. The Jotuns retreat and reformation as Mab's court is also another point towards his story already having played out once before.... Besides, Harry killed Fenris in book 2 so no Ragnarok for you!? Unless he just freed him from the curse that contained his manifestation, Harry you dolt.

*you can find a lot of them online for free, the original Edda's even. I don't always keep track of the pages though.
**it's a poor explanation but the one were I add in the gyre and why time is repeating itself is much more complicated. The real evidence would become that it is in our mythology already.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2018, 11:27:58 PM »
But, jthe guy's name isn't Donar Vadder.  It's Donar VadderUNG.  Could the full name translate into "Thor Odinson"?  Or Son of the Father (All-Father).

Another theory, the Asgardians became mortals in order to forestall Ragnarok.  Hiding the ones who were supposed to die to begin it.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 03:40:29 AM »
But, jthe guy's name isn't Donar Vadder.  It's Donar VadderUNG.  Could the full name translate into "Thor Odinson"?  Or Son of the Father (All-Father).

Another theory, the Asgardians became mortals in order to forestall Ragnarok.  Hiding the ones who were supposed to die to begin it.
Like I said, "ung" means "ing".  The full translation would be "Thor Fathering".  He that fathered Thor.

Unless, of course, you want to interpret it differently, and say Thor obtained his father's mantle, and he's now "Fathering" it up.   ::)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2018, 03:55:07 AM »
Many Ragnaroks have happened, or at least one I can evidence, Going back to Bob's original explanation of the queens whom used to be. They don't exist on our plain, can't anymore. Because they are primal spirits of what was, they are literally the Ghosts of a previous epoch. (You might point to the same thing for Hades and why in this age he can no longer effect fate. He admitted he could before by default then, noting a considerable difference then in how he can interact with our world now by comparison.) They birthed the new Age, also why they are now 'Mothers' despite new evidence pointing to the Queen as the one whose giving birth, they already gave birth.
Ragnarok is the end of an age and the beginning of a new one, the lifting of the veil, ect. Odin's Ragnarok happened when Valhalla fell from position on the Gates. The Jotuns retreat and reformation as Mab's court is also another point towards his story already having played out once before.... Besides, Harry killed Fenris in book 2 so no Ragnarok for you!? Unless he just freed him from the curse that contained his manifestation, Harry you dolt.

*you can find a lot of them online for free, the original Edda's even. I don't always keep track of the pages though.
**it's a poor explanation but the one were I add in the gyre and why time is repeating itself is much more complicated. The real evidence would become that it is in our mythology already.
That's all an interpretation, and one that makes sense.  But it's not fact.  For the Norse pantheon, there's only one apocalypse (Ragnarok) that calls for the deaths of Odin and Loki and Thor, at least two of which are still alive regardless of the theory.

Now, if you wanted to argue that the series is in the middle of Ragnarok, and Aldar Rok has passed but Tiva Rok hasn't, it might make things more plausible.  I don't know the specifics of the series of events, but maybe it's possible.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2018, 11:48:53 AM »
That's all an interpretation, and one that makes sense.  But it's not fact.  For the Norse pantheon, there's only one apocalypse (Ragnarok) that calls for the deaths of Odin and Loki and Thor, at least two of which are still alive regardless of the theory.

Now, if you wanted to argue that the series is in the middle of Ragnarok, and Aldar Rok has passed but Tiva Rok hasn't, it might make things more plausible.  I don't know the specifics of the series of events, but maybe it's possible.
Agreed.  If we were post-Ragnarok, and by that I mean /This/ Ragnarok, the one that Odin prophesied, then Loki, Odin and thor would all be dead, and only Líf and Lífþrasir would remain (of the Aesir at least, though the myth is they are the only surviving Humans, the next cycle's Adam and Eve)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain