Author Topic: Justine’s heritage  (Read 10710 times)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: Justine’s heritage
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 02:15:13 AM »
That also could just be another mentally ill person.
If they hadn't later connected the idea of 'congenital defect' to Sarissa's Changling status messing with her, sure.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 04:11:47 AM »
Reminds me of a meme.  Could be offensive to some, so I'm putting it in a spoiler.

(click to show/hide)

Please remember this is all in fun.
Aww, that was funny. It sounds like something my husband would say. People are too easily offended these days. I find it’s better to assume people generally mean well and have good intentions and not read too much into things.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
Aww, that was funny. It sounds like something my husband would say. People are too easily offended these days. I find it’s better to assume people generally mean well and have good intentions and not read too much into things.

The exact same meme could be made about men ... LOL
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 02:15:43 PM »
Why name the character Justine which is very close to Justin?

Maybe her mental illness stems from being discarded by Justin shortly after he discovered that she didn't have magical talent. A failed attempt at creating a starborn?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »
Maybe nothing or maybe something, just seems a little odd to me.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 03:19:44 PM »
With the lack of new material to go over we could be just be reading into things a bit much. I mean, we all know that Mr. Butcher is not a dangerous mastermind who leaves clues/plot threads in his books that will not be fulfilled until the BAT. Right?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 07:28:03 PM »
Maybe her mental illness stems from being discarded by Justin shortly after he discovered that she didn't have magical talent. A failed attempt at creating a starborn?

Justine is like 20 years younger than Harry.  Since he killed Justin when he was 16, I don't think it's possible for Justine to have been anywhere near Justin.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 08:28:41 PM »
Justine is like 20 years younger than Harry.  Since he killed Justin when he was 16, I don't think it's possible for Justine to have been anywhere near Justin.

My reading is closer to ten years. Harry mentions she's eighteen-twenty in Grave Peril, and Harry himself is 28-32, as far as I can recall. That's just enough time for Justin to have Justine, realize she's not a starborn, toss her, and start checking orphanages.

It's probably bunk, anyway.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 11:40:40 PM »
It’s code*.  Justine = Just (a) teen. Butcher was letting us know she was a teenager at the point of introduction. Due to her mental instability compounded by trauma, she seized emotionally in that state and is thus forever developmentally a teen.  It helps explain the juvenile and codependent relationship she and Thomas have as he also is developmentally stunted since, when he came of age, he was vampirised (aka vampirisation aka envampination).

*not really

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 11:52:27 PM »
I would put Justine's level of emotional and intellectual development ahead of Thomas.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »
Per the timeline, Justine was born about 17 years before Storm Front. Grave Peril was about a year later, so Justine was about 18 when Harry met her.  Which means, when Harry killed Justin, she'd have been about 2.

Also, IIRC, in GP, Justin said her parents had placed her in "special schools" really institutions/mental hospitals throughout her life, which would suggest that Justin wouldn't have had "access" to her.

I hate to poke holes in theories, but this gnawed at me.  Sorry.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 12:27:51 AM »
I would put Justine's level of emotional and intellectual development ahead of Thomas.

I mean that isn't hard, he's related to Harry after all

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 09:58:28 AM »
Yeah, I was iffy about the connection; just thought it was a curious about name similarity.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
Having similar names isn't a connection, it's Jim liking certain names.

Gwen from Cinder Spires is another Maggie, anyone want to speculate on her relation to Dresden?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 07:44:18 PM »
Having similar names isn't a connection, it's Jim liking certain names.

Gwen from Cinder Spires is another Maggie, anyone want to speculate on her relation to Dresden?

I pointed that one out to my dad over the summer, and he groaned. It's not enough that the silkweavers were enough like the Vord to make us think crazy things...

Per the timeline, Justine was born about 17 years before Storm Front. Grave Peril was about a year later, so Justine was about 18 when Harry met her.  Which means, when Harry killed Justin, she'd have been about 2.

Also, IIRC, in GP, Justin said her parents had placed her in "special schools" really institutions/mental hospitals throughout her life, which would suggest that Justin wouldn't have had "access" to her.

I hate to poke holes in theories, but this gnawed at me.  Sorry.

And yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm presuming that he discarded her as a baby, then dug up Harry and Elaine shortly after.

It's not what happened; it'd be too soap opera, I think, but it's fun for me to think about.