Author Topic: Denarians and White Council  (Read 15825 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Denarians and White Council
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »
Haven't they narrowed it down to some kind of meteorite strike by now?
The current prevailing theory is that an ice meteor/comet hit the atmosphere and flash-boiled, causing an Air Burst.  However that is the current theory only because it;s the only explanation anyone has for a meteor-level explosion without a crater.  There are some geologic explanations as well, for example; basically they say it was an exotic volcanic or nat. gas eruption rather than an exotic meteor.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »
The current prevailing theory is that an ice meteor/comet hit the atmosphere and flash-boiled, causing an Air Burst.  However that is the current theory only because it;s the only explanation anyone has for a meteor-level explosion without a crater.  There are some geologic explanations as well, for example; basically they say it was an exotic volcanic or nat. gas eruption rather than an exotic meteor.
So if any of those cases are true, it's once again a case of Ebenezer appropriating a handy aspect of the environment for the blast, rather than powering it entirely on his own.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »
So if any of those cases are true, it's once again a case of Ebenezer appropriating a handy aspect of the environment for the blast, rather than powering it entirely on his own.
Yes.  Though my main point was just that there isnt any sort of real understanding of what happened or which environmental aspect was invovled; all they really know is what /didnt/ do it. It wasnt a normal meteor, a normal earthquake/volcano/methane vent, etc. 

It could have been an ectoplsma wave from a huge Way, any number of Ley-line supported spells, a giant ghost fly-swatter that bled over to effecting the physical world, a kaiju....
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2017, 05:40:13 PM »
Yes.  Though my main point was just that there isnt any sort of real understanding of what happened or which environmental aspect was invovled; all they really know is what /didnt/ do it. It wasnt a normal meteor, a normal earthquake/volcano/methane vent, etc. 

It could have been an ectoplsma wave from a huge Way, any number of Ley-line supported spells, a giant ghost fly-swatter that bled over to effecting the physical world, a kaiju....
Another possibility we haven't considered -- the blast may not have been something that Ebenezer made happen as an attack, but the result of him ganking a warlock in the middle of some huge spell they were preparing, and the gathered energy turning into fallout. Thinking of all the magic flying wildly around when Harry disrupted the Shadowman's spell and turn the knobs up.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2017, 06:12:05 PM »
Another possibility we haven't considered -- the blast may not have been something that Ebenezer made happen as an attack, but the result of him ganking a warlock in the middle of some huge spell they were preparing, and the gathered energy turning into fallout. Thinking of all the magic flying wildly around when Harry disrupted the Shadowman's spell and turn the knobs up.
Also true.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »
This ties into the Mavra thread post I just made but I thought there was woj or suggestion or theory that Ebenezar was taking out the thirteen Elders of the Black COurt who were doing a Dark Hollow. Which is why they were a threat to Mab. Theory is supported by local folklore and myth about something called 'the grey men' or 'the death men' or something in the region.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
This ties into the Mavra thread post I just made but I thought there was woj or suggestion or theory that Ebenezar was taking out the thirteen Elders of the Black COurt who were doing a Dark Hollow. Which is why they were a threat to Mab. Theory is supported by local folklore and myth about something called 'the grey men' or 'the death men' or something in the region.
First Ive heard of it, but that's interesting.  There were some old letters between Eb and Simon in one of the recent RPG books that could have included something along those lines, might that be what you recall?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »
First Ive heard of it, but that's interesting.  There were some old letters between Eb and Simon in one of the recent RPG books that could have included something along those lines, might that be what you recall?

Stoker's book is certainly mentioned in the letters but no direct mention of tunguska.

WOJ is the Thirteen Elders were a threat to Mab.

But yeah iirc the theory was that the Purge was happening and the Thirteen Elders gathered at Tunguska (the region having several folklore about dangerous horror people called 'the grey men') to perform a Dark Hollow and ascend. It's also backed by the fact that thirteens the biggest number a group of people can perform a ritual.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »
Stoker's book is certainly mentioned in the letters but no direct mention of tunguska.

WOJ is the Thirteen Elders were a threat to Mab.

But yeah iirc the theory was that the Purge was happening and the Thirteen Elders gathered at Tunguska (the region having several folklore about dangerous horror people called 'the grey men') to perform a Dark Hollow and ascend. It's also backed by the fact that thirteens the biggest number a group of people can perform a ritual.
Is there one that specifically speaks to Mab having that sort of actual motivation?  I mean, there is WOJ that the Black Court Elders were a threat by virtue of being on the list of those that /could/ take her, but that's not to say she was actually pursuing that goal.  Separately there is a WOJ that the Black Court were a threat to /Everyone/ because they'd grown in power so quickly or whatever and that everyone was gunning for them to one extent or another, but again it wasnt any more specific to Mab than to any other Interest.  Is this an extension of those or is there something that specifically said Mab had it out for the Black Court?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2017, 01:07:13 PM »
Is there one that specifically speaks to Mab having that sort of actual motivation?  I mean, there is WOJ that the Black Court Elders were a threat by virtue of being on the list of those that /could/ take her, but that's not to say she was actually pursuing that goal.  Separately there is a WOJ that the Black Court were a threat to /Everyone/ because they'd grown in power so quickly or whatever and that everyone was gunning for them to one extent or another, but again it wasnt any more specific to Mab than to any other Interest.  Is this an extension of those or is there something that specifically said Mab had it out for the Black Court?

I believe it might be this one. Though I think that there is a woj or that is the woj that says Black Court was a team up job between White Court and Mab. If not then that second WOJ is the reference point for it combined with them being on the list.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
I believe it might be this one. Though I think that there is a woj or that is the woj that says Black Court was a team up job between White Court and Mab. If not then that second WOJ is the reference point for it combined with them being on the list.
The only ones Ive ever seen all say it was a pure White Court scheme.  I think Mab just became the Measuring stick for Power, thanks to the "Who can Take Mab in a Fight" list. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2017, 01:22:29 PM »
The RPG also suggests it significantly with Mab taking an increased interest in Russia immediately after the Purge as if she expected it to happen. Very organised response and analogues of Rasputin's becoming Winter Knight to Harry getting shot and drowning the lake. Oftenthe demise of the court is mentioned in the same breath as Mabs response.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »
The RPG also suggests it significantly with Mab taking an increased interest in Russia immediately after the Purge as if she expected it to happen. Very organised response and analogues of Rasputin's becoming Winter Knight to Harry getting shot and drowning the lake. Often the demise of the court is mentioned in the same breath as Mabs response.
Is that the Paranet Papers as well?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2017, 01:53:54 PM »
Yeah it is several letters of Simon mention it.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2017, 03:15:02 PM »
Interesting theory, Con. Though I think you're reading too much into that WoJ, the idea that Mab helped destroy the BCV might be supported by the Paranet Papers. It's never explicitly said, though. Mab's motives for supporting the revolution remain a mystery.

Her reason could be simple enough: getting rid of competition. The Fae prey on humanity too, but they need them for more than just food.

I'm looking forward to how she's going to deal with the Whites. ;D