Author Topic: Spell Advise  (Read 1526 times)

Offline storyist

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Spell Advise
« on: May 23, 2015, 02:42:12 AM »
Hello, everyone,

So, I am finally getting into a Dresden game.  My ST is letting me play a wizard and I'm trying to come up with my rote spells.  I've created some and I was hoping to get some feedback on them before I presented them to my ST.  Would guys be able to tell me what you think?

Name: Gravnum
Effect: Gravity Shield
Type: Earth Defensive Maneuver
Shifts: 5 in total (Four for natural Conviction plus one for Gauntlet)
                2 shifts for 1 point of armor
                3 shifts for 3 exchanges
Description: This spell creates a small field of repelling gravity around the user.  For two exchanges, the spell creates one point of deflection armor.

Name: Gravock
Effect: Gravity Swing
Type: Earth Attack Maneuver
                4 Weapon Damage
                1 shift for Aspect “Prone”
Description: This spell creates a force of gravity that when it connects lifts the target of the ground, knocking them “Prone”.

Name: Vicitus
Effect: Water Shield
Type: Water Defensive Maneuver
                3 shifts for 3 points for armor
                2 shifts for 2 exchanges
Description: This spell creates a tower shield of water on the arm with the water gauntlet that can be used to block incoming attacks.

Name: Attractus
Effect: Magnetic Charge
Type: Earth Maneuver
Shifts: 5 in total
                5 shifts for the Aspect “Super Magnet”
Description: This spell causes two metal objects to become bonded to each other and pulled towards each other.  I.E. a belt buckle becomes “magnetically attracted” to a trash can.

Thanks for your help!

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Spell Advise
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »
See YS p.252 regarding maneuvers/aspects; your spells look OK, but to place an Aspect on a scene needs three shifts, plus whatever else you want to add.  Take a look at the example of Evan Montrose's winds spell.  Your "Gravock" spell is illegal, unfortunately.  It's trying to be BOTH an Attack AND a Maneuver.  However, if you inflict consequences (as an Attack) on the target (always a happy thing), it may well indeed put the Aspect "Prone" on him.

Far better to have a spell for attack ("I do six shifts gravity damage!") and perhaps another rote to either block or place a maneuver  ("I keep him from moving with a gravity well spell, six shifts as a block on his Athletics, resisted by his Athletics skill.").  At least that's how I think it's done. 

Either as a maneuver or as a block the bad guy still gets to resist.  It all depends on what Aspect you're trying to place on him.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Spell Advise
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 06:17:51 PM »
What blackstaff said. Also, remember that you can add shifts of duration with a second spell. I'm mostly thinking of your blocks - it might be worth going for a stronger effect at the start and add duration if needed, but that's entirely a matter of personal taste.

Also, I assume Vicitus should be a Block:3 rather than Armor:3 as the math works out that way?