Author Topic: Medical Treatment  (Read 16565 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Treatment
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2015, 07:26:19 PM »
I just thought that healing a wound and freeing a consequence don't really have to be the same thing. You can already heal a wound without removing the consequence by renaming it. You could free the consequence without removing the wound as well, having it stick around as a regular aspect rather than a consequence. Not really sure where to go with that, but maybe that's something to work with to fit both the no magical healing bit and the desire for more consequences to use. Then again, you could always just allow more consequences then.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2015, 07:48:18 PM »
Well, by YS, both medical healing and magical healing are the same.  The difficulty for starting healing is equal to the consequence and neither can actually increase healing time.

The only thing that lets you do it is spending refresh on recovery powers or taking a temporary power.

If you're going to allow magical healing to reduce recovery time then, by default, you should allow mundane healing to do the same.

So, what if you took that complexity for a ritual and applied it to mundane medical treatment?

Maybe with an extended test(using multiple rolls) where each roll is a set amount of time and the less rolls you use the quicker your wounds heal

or a single test.

The base difficulty is the quality of the wound and shifts of success reduce the healing time based on the time chart.  Rituals will, in general be quicker because of how you build up complexity but a hospital stay can give you access to lots of aspects, declarations and high quality skill rolls.

Although, I suppose, there should be a cap on what mundane healing can do or a minimum to which you can drop specific severities of consequences.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2015, 07:52:13 PM »
double-post:

Since you're removing a consequence and not inflicting one, you need to provide the power that would normally come from the consequence yourself.

3 + 2x2(inhuman recovery) + 2(mild) = 9;
3 + 2x4(supernatural recovery) + 4(moderate) = 15;
3 + 2x6(mythic recovery) + 6(severe) = 21.

this means  you get those recovery powers for one scene.  Which means you only get the 'quick healing' for that scene and not the extended recovery that is so useful.  So, to get the extended recovery from, say, supernatural recovery, you'd need to put duration in order to have it last beyond the next scene?

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »
double-post:

this means  you get those recovery powers for one scene.  Which means you only get the 'quick healing' for that scene and not the extended recovery that is so useful.  So, to get the extended recovery from, say, supernatural recovery, you'd need to put duration in order to have it last beyond the next scene?

Yeah, the book states that the duration starts from "a few minutes," and you add duration at 1 shift per step up the time ladder from there.  That is if you are actually wanting to grant those powers though.  My examples were just a framework to model a healing spell and not meant to actually confer those powers.  If someone actually wanted to confer those powers, I would require the consequence to come from the target like it says in the book (i.e. the target's metabolism isn't designed to heal the body so swiftly and so internal damage is inflicted.  Consequence aspect = "Temporary Diabetes").  EDIT: But that's weird with a recovery power anyway. lol

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2015, 02:57:25 AM »
Alright, here's a set of house rules intended to make medical treatment more important and magical healing more possible.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Consequences

All consequences start healing immediately, with no medical treatment required. But if a consequence hasn't been treated, once per scene the GM can Compel it without giving the character a Fate Point. The GM may also have an NPC tag the consequence instead of Compelling it.

Any character can treat a mild physical consequence with a Scholarship roll, a first aid kit, and a few minutes. Treating more significant consequences requires a stunt or power, more time, and better equipment. The difficulty of the roll is up to the GM, but it generally starts around the amount of stress the consequence absorbed and then is increased or decreased based on the available time and equipment.

Treating mental and social consequences uses the same rules, except equipment isn't required and Empathy is the skill used.

Once a consequence is successfully treated, rename it slightly and it can't be tagged every scene anymore.

Going to the hospital reliably gets you a successful roll, though it can take a while. If the GM cares to roll for the hospital, their policy is to take as much extra time as they need to. Similarly, friends, therapists, churches and support groups can provide reliable but slow care for mental and social consequences.

The ability to treat serious consequences on a stress track with a skill is worth about half a stunt. A single stunt can let you treat all consequences with a skill, or let you treat consequences on a single stress track and grant some other bonus as well. A character who can treat serious consequences is by default able to handle similar problems like diseases.

Example Stunts

Priestly Counsel (Conviction): You may use Conviction to treat mental and social consequences. When doing so for a Christian character, add 1 to your Conviction.
Doctor (Scholarship): You may use Scholarship to treat any physical consequence. In addition, pick a field of medicine. Add 2 to your Scholarship when dealing with that field.
Inspirational Music (Performance): You may use Performance to treat mental consequences. In addition, you get +1 to Performance when trying to make people feel uplifted or inspired.

Magical Healing

Thaumaturgy with a complexity equal to the difficulty of the treatment roll can treat a consequence. However, a character without a stunt letting them treat consequences doesn't understand the human body/mind well enough to do this barring exceptional circumstances.

When using thaumaturgy to treat a consequence, you may add to the ritual's complexity in order to rename the consequence more significantly. A CHEST WOUND could become a MAGICALLY HEALED CHEST. It would still occupy the same consequence slot, though.

Plus, there's a Healing Power.

(click to show/hide)

Recovery

Wizard's Constitution has nothing to do with recovery.

Inhuman Recovery automatically treats your mild and moderate physical consequences. Plus it accelerates healing as in Your Story.

Supernatural Recovery automatically treats your non-extreme physical consequences. Plus it accelerates healing as in Your Story, except you may clear moderate physical consequences with It's Nothing. You may use It's Nothing on up to 4 shifts of consequences per scene (that is, a moderate or two milds).
Mythic Recovery automatically treats your physical consequences. Plus it accelerates healing as in Your Story, except you may clear moderate and severe physical consequences with Ha! You Call That A Hit?. You may use Ha! You Call That A Hit? on up to 6 shifts of consequences per scene (that is, a severe or a moderate and a mild or three milds).

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2015, 03:11:26 AM »
I think that's all fine.

Question regarding the free tag.  Let's say they have an untreated mental moderate consequence.

How do people tag it.  Usually, these kinds of consequences come up as you RP - you discover it, then you tag it.

I guess my question is how would you present a 'non-obvious' consequence to PC's so that they can tag it?

I asked this before, but it's worth asking again:  can you use an alternate skill to 'cover up' the wound temporarily so it can't be tagged?  Such as using a disguise to cover up an arm cast...  What would the difficulty be?  The same as the treatment check?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2015, 03:19:21 AM »
I could just tell them OoC.

Or I could not tell them at all. The GM owns the consequence tag/Compel, so I can just use it myself or leave it unused.

Or I could add +2 to one of their rolls. Basically invoking it for them.

Dunno which approach is best.

Disguising a consequence would be a good maneuver, but in most cases I don't think it'd prevent tagging/Compelling. A broken arm is still a problem even if nobody knows about it. And invokes are usually OoC.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2015, 08:46:32 PM »
Does nobody else have anything to say?

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2015, 09:37:28 PM »
I'm curious about your refresh cost for Powerful Healing.  Is it only 2 refresh because you have to roll 3 greater than the difficulty and that's fairly difficult for higher consequences?

Also, can a person with the Healing power take more time to treat the consequence per the Time Chart if they fail the roll?  If they do fail the roll, are there any consequences, and when can they try again?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2015, 10:25:37 PM »
Also, can a person with the Healing power take more time to treat the consequence per the Time Chart if they fail the roll?

You can, in most situations, just take extra time to bring your result up.  Each step on the time-chart is another shift towards the difficulty.

I'm also curious if you can try again...like, if you fail, and don't want to spend the extra time...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2015, 12:29:27 AM »
I'm curious about your refresh cost for Powerful Healing.  Is it only 2 refresh because you have to roll 3 greater than the difficulty and that's fairly difficult for higher consequences?

Healing costs 1 Refresh because it's quite similar to a stunt letting you treat consequences.

The Powerful Healing upgrade gives 4 consequence shifts/Refresh because two mild consequences with some kind of usage restriction is a standard stunt effect.

Also, can a person with the Healing power take more time to treat the consequence per the Time Chart if they fail the roll?  If they do fail the roll, are there any consequences, and when can they try again?

They can take extra time, since they use the regular treatment rules. For the same reason, nothing happens when they fail.

I think taking extra time is probably the best way to represent trying again. Keeps rolls meaningful.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2015, 05:10:37 PM »
Seems pretty solid to me.  I might bring it up in my game for a test run.