Author Topic: Knights of the cross  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Periwinkles

• Participant
    • View Profile
Knights of the cross
« on: November 28, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »
Last night during a dresden files session, my character was chosen to wield a holy sword and became a knight of the cross. The GM sort of sprung the deal onto my character and she was compelled to take on that duty. I've not read too many of the books, and Your Story doesn't really have that great an explanation on the holy knights, so I wanted to get some clarification from you guys.

What sort of abilities do knights of the cross possess?

How are they expected to conduct themselves? We know about the rules of magic, but what about the rules a knight of the cross should abide by?

Also, what powers do the swords themselves have? What happens to those killed by the sword-wielders?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Knights of the cross
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 04:06:19 PM »
Quote from: YS pg: 73
Champions of God are among the rarest of
mortal humans, actively called to service by the
Almighty (in one of many possible guises) to
stand against the darkness and beat it back with
the strength and light of their faith. They are
very few in number, usually limited to the three
Knights of the Cross.

Musts: Champions of God must have a high
concept that is in line with their nature as a true
holy warrior—such an aspect (e.g., Knight
of the Cross) will be the source of many
opportunities for invocation, but it also carries
the weight of the responsibilities and codes of
behavior expected from such men and women of
faith.
Champions of God must have a fairly high
Conviction score (Good or higher recommended).

In addition, Champions of God must
take the following supernatural powers:
ŠŠ Bless This House [–1] (page 187)
ŠŠ Guide My Hand [–1] (page 187)
ŠŠ Holy Touch [–1] (page 188)
ŠŠ Righteousness [–2] (page 188)

Options: Knights of the Cross carry one of the
Swords of the Cross in addition to the above:

ŠŠ Sword of the Cross [–3] (Item of Power
already baked in.) (page 168)

Important Skills: Conviction (page 124), not to
mention some combat skills.
Minimum Refresh Cost: –5

(click to show/hide)

Generally, they believe in free will.  They can't kill anyone who is trying to redeem themselves and they actively seek out and try to get in the way of Denarians' plans.

Using the sword against its purpose might be things like striking out in anger or vengeance, killing innocent people, attacking someone who has surrendered.  They don't necessarily have to be Holy...they just need to have the conviction to fight against evil and wield the sword, unwaveringly, for that purpose.

Quote from: Periwinkles
Also, what powers do the swords themselves have? What happens to those killed by the sword-wielders?

Nothing in particular.  They die.  Since the sword can act as a catch for almost any creature, those creatures killed by a sword usually stay dead.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:16:54 PM by Taran »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »
Double-Post: 

Regarding this:
Last night during a dresden files session, my character was chosen to wield a holy sword and became a knight of the cross. The GM sort of sprung the deal onto my character and she was compelled to take on that duty.

The neat thing we learn about a Knight of the cross is the mantle is transient.  Many Knights have that position temporarily.  If you, as a player, don't want to be a Knight, you should be able to shed the cross and all the powers that go with it if you want to.  Maybe at a significant or Major Milestone.

(Or maybe your character does something to lose it...in a bad way)

No matter what, a GM shouldn't be able to compel you to take powers you don't want, as a player.

Offline Periwinkles

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Generally, they believe in free will.  They can't kill anyone who is trying to redeem themselves and they actively seek out and try to get in the way of Denarians' plans.

Using the sword against its purpose might be things like striking out in anger or vengeance, killing innocent people, attacking someone who has surrendered.

Nothing in particular.  They die.  Since the sword can act as a catch for almost any creature, those creatures killed by a sword usually stay dead.

Thanks.

I was just thinking, because my character is very pro-life. Whenever she's forced into a combat situation she always, ALWAYS uses non-lethal means. She's so very much against the killing of humans that after our group took on a group of fanatical cultists, our psychomancer had to seal her memories to stop her from turning against the others for killing some of them. And in the campaign there are quite a few people who have sold their souls to demons in a sense, and I was wondering if well, the souls of those killed by a holy sword received any special sort of treatment. Perhaps it purifies them? Sends them to be directly judged by god, instead of letting a demon lay hands on it? Because that way she would develop quite interestingly, and essentially be euthanizing those doomed to an eternity in hell.

I like the concept of my character becoming a knight of the cross. Especially because of her rocky relationship with the swords previous owner. The player in question was a bit of a douche, and it reflected upon his character. In fact, my character on several occasions actually stopped him from abusing his sword, until our GM booted the guy. His character was made off to have been corrupted and killed by our enemies (who we still don't know) and she picked up the broken shards of the sword and mourned his loss...then BAM! Uriel shows up and suggests she take up the sword. There were a lot of compels this played into, and it just works so well I'm giddy.

Offline Specko19

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
Also becareful of any promises you make in the game as a a broken promise can make the sword vulnerable.  KoC are a ton of fun game mechanic, we have played with them a few times and they always bring interesting story with them :D

Reading your post I think you will have a lot of fun with the concept.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
I don't think it purifies their soul when it kills them.  The people chose their path and their soul gets damned (or whatever).  You could try to get them to turn away from their corrupted ways.

That's essentially what a Denarian is: a demon who corrupts a person.  They can't actively take control of someone but they can convince the person to do evil deeds until their perspective is so skewed that they, themselves, are essentially evil.  The role of a Knight is to save those people corrupted by the demons and get them to give up their coins.  Sometimes, the situation doesn't allow that (like if there are innocent people at risk).

Offline Periwinkles

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »
Also becareful of any promises you make in the game as a a broken promise can make the sword vulnerable.  KoC are a ton of fun game mechanic, we have played with them a few times and they always bring interesting story with them :D

Reading your post I think you will have a lot of fun with the concept.

Oooh, that's fun! I can think of a lot of applications for that. Though for now I'm fairly concerned as she's a very naive and idealistic sorceress who somehow ended up in the company of a white court vampire, rogue psychomancer, demon-summoner and a emissary of power to the monkey king. At the very least I believe she is going to promise to kill the demon-summoner in order to free him from his demonic obligations and the debts he owes to hell. That'll be fun because they're sort of getting romantically involved.

EDIT:

I don't know of Denarians, though from the sounds of things they might be the big bad of our campaign. We've just stumbled into a dungeon filled with people that were being mass-brainwashed by demons and ended the session on a tense note; everyone but my character wants the psychomancer to delve into their minds and re-brainwash them. My Lucy just wants them to get taken to a hospital asap.

Offline Periwinkles

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »
Actually, while I'm at it, I must ask about something else.

One of the characters is a magic user that specializes in reading and manipulating emotions. She can sense what others feel and plant or strip emotions from others. In the last session though, she stripped a man of all the joy he's ever felt in his life, which made him kill himself. And then she planted feelings of confusion and doubt into someone, who then opened fire upon his allies as a result of it. The player is defending it as in, his character never actually directly killed or made them do anything, just nudged them in that direction.

But I must ask, isn't this actually some pretty hardcore laws of magic violations?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »
Uh...yes.  In the worst possible way.  Are they actually using magic or incite emotion to do all this?

If it's magic, they should really consider taking Lawbreaker powers...and they should worry about getting Wardens.

I'm not sure a Knight of the Cross would have much sympathy for such a person either.

Stripping a person of all their joy is actually breaking two laws:  manipulating someone's mind and killing with magic.

There are 7 laws - and killing with magic is only one of them.  Manipulating a person's mind is a Law on its own.

The second case, would be mental manipulation Law breaker.  Any deaths resulting from the person opening fire is a grey area.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:27:00 PM by Taran »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »
double-post

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Further on mind magic:(Your Story pg: 239)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

So by my count, that one act of making someone kill themselves by removing joy breaks 3 laws.

1, To find out what makes that person joyful (Lawbreaker 3rd)
2. To manipulate that person's mind and remove those joyful thoughts (Lawbreaker 4th)
3. With the intention of having them kill themselves (lawbreaker 1st).

This person is playing themselves into NPC-dom if they aren't careful.  Granted, your table may be playing with different interpretations of the Laws, but that one example was pretty brutal.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:44:42 PM by Taran »

Offline Periwinkles

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 05:58:54 PM »
Yeah, the character in question is somewhat of a mentor/mother figure of my character. So while she would be reluctant to do so, I do believe that my character should be condemning her. I briefly brought it up and everyone across the table claimed it was a grey area, and that it wasn't violating thoughts, but emotions. Like it was some big distinction that changed the fact someone literally went from trying to snipe at us from a distance, to jumping off a building in sheer despair not because a voice in their head but because they got hit by magically induced super-depression is pretty fucked up. Right now all the characters are engaged in operation hide the truth from the goodie, which involved consistently wiping her memories of such unsavoury events. The first was when they interrogated, tortured and killed someone they took captive, and the second was when an entire bloodbath was created in a cultists hideout.

For reference, my character actually sort of admires all of these characters, in a hero-worship sort of way. But this is actually the first time she's actually with them when shit hits the fan, and thus, it's sort of eye-opening for her. I'm not sure how to portray her reaction to all of this, but it definitely won't be pretty.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 06:11:53 PM »
wiping your memory is also a lawbreaker, obviously.

The GM should have the Wardens come down hard on her.  Maybe it can be a turning point for the character.  Wardens don't try to redeem people - they just cut your head off.  Knights of the Cross try to redeem people....so who knows.

Keeping the truth from the 'goodie' shouldn't change the fact that she's breaking the Law.  The GM should be enforcing Lawbreaker Powers on the PC if they're going to keep it up....or at least be warning the player that they can't keep doing stuff like that without taking Lawbreaker at the next milestone.  It doesn't make sense.  Also, emotions and mind magic are intertwined.  Here's the proof:

Your Story PG: 241

Non-Spellcasting Enthrallment

As enforced, the Laws of Magic are applied
where human victims are involved, but similarly,
they’re primarily applied where human
spellcasters are the ones doing the deeds. This
means that a White Court vampire laying her
sex mojo
on a tasty little morsel is not technically
breaking the Fourth Law.
This doesn’t mean that
the White Council has to like it, but usually this
is a case where the Accords trump the Laws, at
least as far as the politics and legal maneuverings
are involved.

For the purposes of game rules, such powers
are already assumed to have assessed the costs
for holding such sway over another’s mind. No
Red Court vampire is going to get slapped with
a Lawbreaker stunt for addicting someone to his
narcotic saliva. To be frank, with all the other
abilities that come along for the ride, he’s already
made himself inhuman enough.

(emphasis mine)

So, they compare a WCV inciting emotions to Breaking the 4th Law.  So, manipulating emotions counts as Lawbreaking.  White Court Vamps don't, technically, break the law because of what they are...only spell casters do.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:13:34 PM by Taran »

Offline Periwinkles

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 06:17:54 PM »
Alrighty-o. Thanks for that, I wasn't entirely sure of it and let myself get sort of beaten down in terms of this. I'll be sure to bring it up and act it out next session, especially what with how my character is developing. You know, Knight of the Cross, there to preserve free will, routinely getting her own free will trampled on and travelling with someone who is doing the same under a convenient excuse...yeah.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 06:25:49 PM »
Your table should agree what Lawbreaker is and how you get stuck with it.  It won't change how your character acts towards the things that are going on - that's all RP stuff and the rules don't come into play(except with compels) - but it will affect how the players play their characters and how, if at all, they should take Lawbreaker Powers.

If there's a disagreement, you could look at this thread.  There's a lot of information and debate to read and some of those threads get pretty heated.  It's basically a compilation of every Lawbreaker debate that has happened on this board (almost).

You and/or your group may find it useful.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,36777.0.html

Offline Periwinkles

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
Well, this is annoying. Messaged my GM.

"You know, Erin should get the lawbreaker ability as she's broken a fair few rules of magic."

"If she used magic."

"Well, she kind of did."

"Who knows what she is. She's mentally too powerful for it to be magic though. For all we know she could be something new."

"Semantics."

"Hehe :P"

This is what I have to deal with ugh ugh urrrghh.

She's a human and so far hasn't been shown in any way getting her powers from any supernatural, demonic, fae creature.