Author Topic: Stats For Gods  (Read 20246 times)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Stats For Gods
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2014, 09:45:21 PM »
What if the mortal world works as a threshold on their powers?

So, you could stat 'em all up, then apply a threshold based on how "alien" they are from the mortal world.  Or maybe that doesn't even matter...maybe it's just he same threshold across the board.

Things like physical immunity etc would be some of the first powers to go. 

Tapping into the powers they've left behind requires them to reduce the threshold between reality which is why it mucks up with things when God-like entities spend too much time in the mortal realm.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more I like it.

If you look at the things that lower a threshold (usually Lawbreaker stuff - but not always).  Every time a god(ling) does things like that in the mortal world, It breaks down the natural threshold of the mortal realm.  This is why Mab can't kill mortals and all that kind of stuff and needs Knights to do her dirty work.

Stolen.  For almost every game I ever run.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »
Thematically appropriate, but mechanically kind of iffy. The effects of Thresholds have never been properly defined.

Well, not all-powerful. (EDIT: Just to the point that mortals, even say the Merlin, might as well not try. Mother Summer or Winter could still slap her down.)

And I don't think it's actually purely based on being in a place of power, though that's important. The place of power = I'm stronger thing seems to apply to powerful-but-more-fightable entities like naagloshii and the Lords of Outer Night, too (and arguably Harry, now, though probably not the same mechanism).

Being in the mortal world does per WoJ make them more vulnerable... but that's slightly different.

Not as far as I know. I just don't see any evidence/mention that they ever are bodiless. (Though that's kind of an elusive concept if you're in the Nevernever anyway... even pure spirits and ghosts and stuff seem to be physically-interactable there ... and Bob has a sort of very limited 'body' even in the mortal world when he leaves the skull...)

Thinking over it a bit more, I think I'm gonna do this your way. I still think gods might be bodiless (like ghosts) just going by the general impression I've received from them, but...mechanically speaking, it's much easier to do this your way.

I'm thinking I'll rewrite A God Am I so that it gives some benefits while in the Nevernever and some while in your domain.

In your domain I'm thinking it can give you +5 miraculous power, +1 to all rolls, immunity to attack, and the ability to target the entire universe with miracles. Maybe also ACaEBM or something like it.

In the Nevernever in general, I'm thinking it can give you +2 miraculous power and some extra durability.

Sound like a plan?

I'm undecided about how to handle a Knight of the Cross or a stronger god challenging a god in their domain, so suggestions for that would be appreciated.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »
Contest through rolling , then invoking the changed scene for effect.
Vae Victus

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »
I'm undecided about how to handle a Knight of the Cross or a stronger god challenging a god in their domain, so suggestions for that would be appreciated.

I don't think the distinction between "can be meaningfully challenged by mortals" vs not is based on being in the domain. Being in the domain  makes you a more powerful version of whichever one IMO.

What makes "can be meaningfully challenged by mortals" would be stuff like:
- a Sword of the Cross in play (for pretty much anyone)
- another being of similar or greater power blocking/locking down its power (for pretty much anyone)
- a Starborn in play (for Walkers/other uberpowerful Outsiders/Old Ones)
- potentially Soulfire, properly used, though this may require being a starborn (who knows)....
- potentially being a "Knight" empowered by the being (though this may be a lie)...
- other plot devices or special weaknesses...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2014, 07:40:22 PM »
Contest through rolling , then invoking the changed scene for effect.

What do you mean by that?

I don't think the distinction between "can be meaningfully challenged by mortals" vs not is based on being in the domain. Being in the domain  makes you a more powerful version of whichever one IMO.

What makes "can be meaningfully challenged by mortals" would be stuff like:
- a Sword of the Cross in play (for pretty much anyone)
- another being of similar or greater power blocking/locking down its power (for pretty much anyone)
- a Starborn in play (for Walkers/other uberpowerful Outsiders/Old Ones)
- potentially Soulfire, properly used, though this may require being a starborn (who knows)....
- potentially being a "Knight" empowered by the being (though this may be a lie)...
- other plot devices or special weaknesses...

Pretty sure gods are stronger in their domains, even if hurting them outside their domains requires some extra advantage too.

Question is, is my suggested method a good way of representing how much stronger they are?

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »
have the god attack the scene with his power to downgraded the threshold or fabric of reality, when consequences appear the gods influence over the area increases, to handle a god-war lets say for example, Seth Egyptian god of chaos vs Apollo Greek god of the sun , the setting is the roman Colosseum, since Apollo is Greek and Greek culture was assimilated by roman Apollo is defensive because he is more There than Seth, less connections to location means more challenge to acting out of assumed character to actually be there he needs to first make the first aspect consequence on the clash area of effect, essentially most god vs god will be fighting through the environment since affecting the god directly is almost impossible cause their gods is my point.

wow that is confusing to me, do you get what im trying to type  Sanctaphrax

Vae Victus

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 09:29:43 PM »
I think I get the gist, but I'm not sure how to implement that mechanically.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »
The god that is their first is defensive , first chose what form of contest, social or mental for they rarely throw down on total war , make it a best of three to win.

How that would look if it were up to me, rock paper scissors.

Glad it is not... 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:45:16 PM by S1C0 »
Vae Victus

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2014, 03:45:11 AM »
If I don't hear any objections by this weekend, I'll go ahead with more or less what I have here.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 08:37:31 AM »
I put up those stats for Lea we were discussing on the resource board, by the way. I tried to make her terrifyingly powerful... yet still vulnerable to someone who has iron and an opportunity.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 06:22:28 AM »
Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to postpone work on this. I doubt anyone is terribly disappointed, but I thought I should let y'all know.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2014, 02:31:11 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to postpone work on this. I doubt anyone is terribly disappointed, but I thought I should let y'all know.

Our resident megalomaniac is probably disappointed.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2014, 04:38:35 AM »
*Darth Vader voice*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I might still at least try to hack a statblock using these rules together.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:49:17 AM by Hick Jr »
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2014, 04:58:39 AM »
*Darth Vader voice*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Please allow the record to show that I totally called this.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2014, 04:02:40 AM »
Sanctaphrax, do you mind if I do my own spin on this (based off your stuff, but different) and post it in this thread?