Author Topic: Affliction (Status Effects in DFRPG)  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Affliction (Status Effects in DFRPG)
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 09:53:24 AM »
Ha, thanks Sanctaphrax.  You're a good rules-conscience.

Very kind of you to say so.

I'm making some good use of your version of the power with some NPC's I'm making for our Worm game, really excited to see how they'll turn out.

Hope it works out!

I have to admit, I have some worries. Once you've spent 10 Refresh on Death it seems like a no-brainer to spend 3 more on At Range, Area, and Potent. Depending on how the power performs in practice, we may have to have the prices of upgrades scale with the price of the Affliction.

And if high-end Afflictions end up too powerful, we might have to let people use Consequences against them.

Might also have to reduce the Potent bonus to +1, or disallow Area altogether.

But if everything goes swimmingly, none of that will be necessary. Here's hoping.

-I don't understand the necessity of secrecy at stasis

It's a Worm thing. Nobody ever knows how long Clockblocker's power is going to last.

-The transform could also have an RP mechanic to dispel i. e. kissed by a princess, bathing in cosecrated water at full moon.

Sure.

-Spellcasters for ranged attacks, fighters for touch. Have you thought whether line of sight is a requirement?

I dunno if you strictly need line of sight, but you need some way to target your victim.

Also, I'm leery of giving casters the ranged options and fighters the melee ones. Because that just makes casters better.

-Lastly, for casters, have you considered grouping them? A character with the power Entropy (Least) (-1) can cast the afflictions of 1 refresh as manuever evocations. Same for
Entropy (Lesser) (-2)
Entropy (Minor) (-3)
Entropy (Moderate) (-4)
Entropy (Major) (-6)
Entropy (Severe) (-10)

I don't think it's a good idea to give all Afflictions of a given level in one package, since there's a nigh-infinite number of potential Afflictions at each level.

But packaging them in bunches could work.

EDIT: May I also suggest mental afflictions like Psychosis, Delusions, Dementia?

Sure. Feel free to write some.

Offline Stirge

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Affliction (Status Effects in DFRPG)
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »
Sanctaphrax -> No problem!  I've really enjoyed bouncing back and forth on the rules with you.  I think it'll be another round or two between us before it gets ironed out and usable, but I think we've mad e alot of progress together.

At least for Worm, I'll run with the House Rule where PC's and named NPC's can take Consequences to improve their rolls by +1 for mild, +2 moderate, +3 severe and +4 extreme.  An example of this would be spraining your ankle in a sprint, or mother's adrenaline rush letting her get a +3 bonus to Might to lift up a vehicle.    I could see someone blocking a 'death' ray with their arm and having it be a blackened husk (Extreme Consequence) but be otherwise alive.  This should help balance things for our game at least (it works pretty well in my home game and helps buff Inhuman Recovery a hair, which I feel needs it).

I'll send you the power sets of a few Capes I have in the works to see how they fare.  I'm not terribly worried about the 'Death' example because they're very lop-sided.  The answer to them would be to go in undetected with a Stranger or attack them from an extremely far range (Skitter or similar).  Spending 13 points leaves very little room for defense.  Also, storywise it would be limited as it doesn't seem like a very common power :-)

Blk4ce -> Thoughts I shall ponder!  I like the idea of this being used for Entropomancers.  As for offense/defense, I think if defensive options will be chosen from Discipline (mental), Endurance (physical), or Athletics (can be dodged) all of the effects sohuld be fair.  I'm not terribly worried about the particular offense-skill as long as its related (people tend to power game these things anyways).  Immobilization via Bola should be Weapons while a Paralyzing Laser Beam should be Guns.  Definitely feel free to come up with some ideas!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:30:28 AM by Stirge »