Author Topic: Multiple Main Actions  (Read 6354 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Main Actions
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 11:09:57 PM »
True enough. It's not a perfect solution though.

I suspect that it is a solution more readily balance-able than other common attempts to represent multiple actions, however imperfect it may be, itself.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 09:52:32 PM »
@Sancta
How would you see multiple main actions working as a rule versus a Power?

@All
Regarding a Power or set of powers governing multiple main actions: model it as a singular power(s) or as a set of powers similar to the other Physical Powers?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 04:04:25 AM »
@Sancta
How would you see multiple main actions working as a rule versus a Power?

The easy way is to just let everyone use spray attack rules for all actions.

That would be pretty lame for attacks and blocks once people are rolling above 4ish, though, so maybe you could use the "penalty to all actions equal to number of actions" rule for attacks and blocks.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 04:24:50 AM »
I know Fate largely moves away from penalties, but a -2 penalty/additional action on EVERY action taken would probably be balanced (and prevent the "I make a maneuver, and another maneuver, and now I get +4 to my attack).

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
I had a thought about a potential system that would allow multiple actions.  Basically, instead of allowing a certain number of actions, allow a certain skill level of actions.  So a Chest-Deep campaign might have a skill limit of 5.  You could either use one of the skills you have at 5, or you could use a skill at 4 and another one at 1 or a skill at 3 and another at 2, or I suppose five different skills at 1 (although I'm not sure what you could accomplish with that).  The idea was to encourage the use of lower skills, not just your few high skills.  The problem is there needs to be some sort of guideline as to how many skill levels of actions you can take, and I never could quite figure how to calculate that to my own satisfaction.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
I had a thought about a potential system that would allow multiple actions.  Basically, instead of allowing a certain number of actions, allow a certain skill level of actions.  So a Chest-Deep campaign might have a skill limit of 5.  You could either use one of the skills you have at 5, or you could use a skill at 4 and another one at 1 or a skill at 3 and another at 2, or I suppose five different skills at 1 (although I'm not sure what you could accomplish with that).  The idea was to encourage the use of lower skills, not just your few high skills.  The problem is there needs to be some sort of guideline as to how many skill levels of actions you can take, and I never could quite figure how to calculate that to my own satisfaction.

That's actually a really interesting idea.  I'm playing a superhero campaign right now using Fate Core that I might try this in for a superspeed character.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 06:45:59 PM »
This is the form the multiple main action rule I want to toy with is taking so far:
Multiple Main Actions:
More than one main action (any action requiring a dice roll) may be taken per Exchange starting at a -2 penalty on each action. For each additional action, another -1 penalty is added. Example: two actions in an Exchange are at -2, three actions at -3, four actions at -4 etc.

Stunts and Powers, of course, can be created to alter how this ruling effects a character etc. Thoughts?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 06:51:19 PM »
I might say that you need specific stunts to get more attacks. 

2 attacks requires stunt "X"
3-4 attacks requires stunt "X + Y"

All at the penalties you suggest.  Doing 2 attacks at -2 each is more powerful, I feel, than doing 2 attacks using the spray attack rules - especially at higher skill levels.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »
I suspect that those rules would be problematic for maneuvers. Generally speaking, a Good roll is enough to create a scene Aspect. A guy with a Superb skill and a stunt giving +2 could take 3 actions, and create 2 or 3 Aspects per turn.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 07:07:57 PM »
@Taran
Using just one attack with a two target-spray and two attacks, and assuming equal rolls then you're correct. My thought on that would be since there is a roll already in place for multiple attacks (the spray rules) to disallow attacks from multiple main actions. That would leave attacks (and their rules, Stunts, and Powers) out of it.

@Sancta
Earlier, you had suggested applying spray like rules to this rule. How do you conceptualize that?

#Action Cap
Another way of ensuring this wouldn't get out of hand would be a cap on the actions of some kind. Ultimately, in narrative turns, there is only so much one person could do (naturally) in a single turn. I'd rather not give a hard number and instead leave it up to GM ruling, but what do you all think?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »
Not sure exactly what you're asking.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »
How would you apply spray rules to multiple main actions? If one was to do it that way, how do you concieve that workign?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »
#Action Cap
Another way of ensuring this wouldn't get out of hand would be a cap on the actions of some kind. Ultimately, in narrative turns, there is only so much one person could do (naturally) in a single turn. I'd rather not give a hard number and instead leave it up to GM ruling, but what do you all think?

This is specifically why I suggested stunts.  They are capped by the type of stunt they own.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »
@Taran
Understood. Here I am modelling it as a rule not a Stunt though. However, based on both your's and Santa's feedback I have made these changes:

Multiple Main Actions
More than one main action (any action requiring a dice roll) may be taken per Exchange. No more than ONE of each type of action (attack, block, maneuver etc.) may be taken in a single Exchange. When adding an additional action, apply a -2 penalty to each action and then another -1 penalty for each subsequent action. Example: two actions at -2 each, three actions at -3 each, four actions at -4 each.

Beyond that, I am also considering raising the penalty...but that can be adjusted once this is a bit more firm.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »
I would rather allow multiple attacks per round, personally.

Anyway, applying spray rules to maneuvers is easy. You roll once and divide your shifts between the maneuvers you want to perform.