Author Topic: GM resources?  (Read 7275 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: GM resources?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 07:22:08 PM »
But then you would have let the docks out. *ducks away*

No, you're right. It doesn't really make that much sense to lay out the entire plot scene by scene, but it does make sense to plan key parts of the story. So even if the dock is not the next scene, if you are playing a story about people missing at the docks, most certainly, at some point, you will go to the docks. And since things can (don't have to) develop at the pace of plot, the same scene can unfold now or three days later.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »
You'll note the edit in my last post.  It's just a random list of scenes (that the PC's told me they were going to do in advance).  You don't have to do it in order....you just run the scene when the PC's decide to go there.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 07:29:57 PM »
That was meant as a reply to fantazero, without actually reading your reply in between first, sorry.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »
I completely agree.

I'm still getting over a series of bad Dresden games, and I tend to be biased  ;)

The reason I like contact rolls, is because of the outcome.
Gm- Oh you rolled a -2 well you do know this one guy at the docks, you think is name is Rick? and he works at the hot dog stand?
-Party arrives at the docks
Gm - OH NOW YOU REMEMBER Rick is the Troll that lives UNDER the docks and ate that guy at the hot dog stand.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 07:38:04 PM »
Awesome idea, thank you for that  ;D

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 07:43:27 PM »
Awesome idea, thank you for that  ;D
poor Hot dog stand guy....

its not "exactly" my idea, its sorta kinda Leonard Balsera's. I heard him on a Podcast talking about how Rolls should MEAN something, good or bad.
I've seen a lot of GMs use failure rolls as a dead end, when they don't need to be.
Lazy Gm"you rolled -2, you don't know anyone"
boo, hiss, thats boring.

You can do the same with magic (and it might say this in the book)

You want to throw a fire ball. You roll a -2 on Conviction (?) whatever you use to control your fireball.
That doesn't mean it's a failure, it just mean you have no control on where that fireball went

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 07:53:59 PM »
I absolutely agree. But a stray fireball is easier to come up with than a hot dog vendor eating troll. Or anything like it, for that matter. Opens up a new way to deal with those things for me.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 09:12:59 PM »
I absolutely agree. But a stray fireball is easier to come up with than a hot dog vendor eating troll. Or anything like it, for that matter. Opens up a new way to deal with those things for me.

really I just made that up while writing the paragraph.
Seat of your pants!

I say it's a skill some people need to hone. I suggest playing the game "Fiasco" as a way to sharpen the seat of your pants fun.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 09:21:14 PM »
I say it's a skill some people need to hone. I suggest playing the game "Fiasco" as a way to sharpen the seat of your pants fun.
I absolutely agree, that's why I'm so happy. I think I am quite good at this when it comes to physical skills, but on others, I often draw a blank.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 02:41:07 AM »
Baron munchausens (sp?) is also a good seat of your pants game

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 05:03:29 AM »
Baron munchausens (sp?) is also a good seat of your pants game
better if youre drinking

Offline cold_breaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »
Hehe, slightly derailed, but I like the line of thought.

My hope (I'm a newb at DMing) is that by making these forms, I can make a very unconstrained story, free of railroading. When I have tried to write them before, I end up righting paragraphs of what's happening and end up with all sorts of preconceived ideas of how it'll all play out. Instead, I'm hoping it'll be something like this:

I have X number of NPCs mapped out - Some are people who's plans are integral to the story, some are just mildly statted out mooks that I can throw at the party for fights, and the rest are talking heads - NPCs who provide clues, red hairings or simply depth to a scene. I can't control my players actions, but I can control everyone else. The bad guy has an agenda and a plan: it's his job to figure out how best to keep it on track, and my job to figure out how he'll do so.

Next up is the locations: these are essentially there to provide a setting for your plot. My hope is that by having a form, it'll force me to consider some best practices to provide locations that are a little more fleshed out and feel like the world is a little more real. This might provide clues as well (such as a crime scene) but even if it's mr. and mrs. Mook's house, I'd still like there to be something to describe, both from a descriptive perspective and from a tactical one (like a chandelier, or a secret passage, or even a steep hill that could provide a barrier in a chase scene)

Finally, the event form. This will be for major plotline events that I expect to occur - my reasoning for these is generally that although it's possible for the PCs to unravel them, they probably wont due to either having no idea that they're going to happen, or that one or more of the NPCs is actively working to make this event happen. These will likely be things like 'the kidnapping of important NPC A' or 'the sudden but inevitable reveal of the traitor' or even events the PCs have told you they're actively working towards - like 'standoff with X big baddy.' These forms are meant to help flesh out the actual story, but are meant to be flexible - suggesting possible locations to occur and alternate ways they might unfold.

My hope is that I can translate all the important plot points into these three forms: in this way I get away from describing how the players get from points A to point B and be ready to improvise that part, while still having a fleshed out world to do so in (as opposed to locations that get a brief description and are never taken into consideration again, or NPCs who'se personalities change more and more as they get less important.

I imagine using these by printing them out and sorting them into 2 binders - one for long term use (like NPCs and locations created in setting creation, or else added after the fact because of events) and one for the immediate story. Each will sort by type, with all the npcs lumped together, then locations and events at the back.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 11:26:31 PM »
Have you done city building with your group?  If you did this, many of your NPC's and Locations would be done, at least as an outline.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 02:34:17 AM »
Have you done city building with your group?  If you did this, many of your NPC's and Locations would be done, at least as an outline.
yep

Offline cold_breaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 01:52:39 PM »

Not sure if you're referring to me, but yep as well. This little project of mine is to help expand on that, and transition from the city creation to the story creation. I'm doing this because I feel what I have so far isn't quite robust enough to feel real - The laws of reality are in place, but the details are still a little too flexible yet to feel like an actual game. Instead it feels like I'm making up a story as I go along, and while my players might not notice, it bothers me and takes away from my fun.

At the same time, I don't want to go too far and put the whole game on rails either, which is a real concern for me as well. So, I'm trying to come up with a way to better define the players in my story - a system where I can firmly say 'this is what I'm in control of and this is what I'm not'. The point is to create a challenge for not only my players (which I could do just by improvising) but for myself.

Sounds like I'm inventing a ruleset to make story creation a minigame for myself I guess. Not sure if I've worded this quite right, but hopefully other GMs get what I'm saying. lol