Author Topic: Force of Will  (Read 2090 times)

Dr.FunLove

Force of Will
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:05:21 AM »
Quick question that I wanted to throw out to the community - the bindings of will used by beings such as Odin and Mother Winter: how to model it? Magic block? Conviction-block? Thoughts, ideas, insanity?

Thanks!

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
Re: Force of Will
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:11:36 AM »
Incite Effect (Divine Will), using Conviction as the governing skill. Mother Winter's conviction is probably something in the low teens, so Harry had to drop a few fate points on the evocation that shattered it.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:19:21 AM »
Also, he had to jack it up with soulfire. Recently re-read that scene...I really do like the Mother's. I digress.

This effect seems to be raw willpower. I'm personally inclined to model it as using Conviction like a block. Only the will and a little know-how required. Having a lot of will helps, such as in Odin's or Mother Winter's case. But other powerful willed individuals should be able to pull it off just the same, ya?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 04:09:11 AM »
Quite true. Harry describes it as magic like evocation having a "seed" of will, encased in magic. How powerful you are (Conviction score, specializations) determines how much magic you can draw around the seed.

Whereas Mother Winter's bindings were just pure seed, with no ambient magic required. I'd put her Conviction at 13 and call it a block.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:16:18 AM »
It's probably more...MORE! I reckon she was holding Harry with the mental equivalent of a pinky. Big scary Fae!

Glad I'm not off base - it's something that I feel will be coming up in the near future and I wanted to take the pulse on this issue.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:47:43 AM »
You can't use Conviction to paralyse someone unless you have an appropriate Power or Stunt. The skill just doesn't work that way.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:52:38 AM »
I believe the power was suggested to be incite effect

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 05:09:14 AM »
Yeah, but Dr Funlove was saying that he figured anyone with a powerful will could do it.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:22:14 AM »
Appreciate the feedback - I wouldn't think a Stunt would be all that appropriate either. In the case of practitioners, would you bundle that in with their other magical prowess or force them to take an additional power (whatever you want to call it ultimately).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 03:11:44 AM »
You could paralyse someone with a Spirit evocation, but if a caster wants to do it without casting a spell (and taking stress) they have to take another Power.

Incidentally, I don't think it would unbalance anything if you added a Raw Will trapping to the Conviction skill. The balance between skills is loose enough to allow that sort of thing.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 03:18:14 AM »
A -1 Power that lets you grapple with Conviction, without the need for an invoked Aspect, sounds right. I mean, there's already a Stunt for Blocking, but Grappling is different (and much more like what the power does) and sounds good for this.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 03:19:47 AM »
@Sanctaphrax
You would then be utilizing the trapping to create such will-constructs or as the basis for such a Power to utilize Conviction to pull off the will-constructs?

@Deadmanwalking
-1 seems fair for a Power that would perform that...the heavy lifting in terms of cost would come from buying up Conviction in this case.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 03:54:06 AM »
You'd use the trapping for maneuvers and blocks that express the pressure your will puts on people.

You can grapple with Incite Effect if you buy the appropriate upgrade, incidentally.

A -1 Power that lets you grapple with Conviction, without the need for an invoked Aspect, sounds right. I mean, there's already a Stunt for Blocking, but Grappling is different (and much more like what the power does) and sounds good for this.

Nah, you should still need the Aspect invoke. Removing that requirement is pretty similar to granting an extra action, and shouldn't be that easy.

Also, said grapples shouldn't have any range. Because basic Might grapples don't, and for 1 Refresh you can't do much more transplant trappings.

Would probably be fair to let people inflict mental stress, though, which is actually kind of a big deal sometimes.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 04:00:38 AM »
@Sanctaphrax
Interesting...I like the trapping. I feel that it's thematically genesis of what the power in question is based on while leaving it open for anyone to utilize meaningfully (if they have the Conviction to do it).

Incite Effect is a custom power, ya? I did a cursory search for it but didn't find it. Mind referencing it?

#Will grapple/block
Is it a grapple we've seen per the books or a grapple? I'd imagine it's more of a block because it can be used at range. Right?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 04:52:35 AM »
Could be a block or a grapple. Ought to work either way.

(click to show/hide)