Author Topic: Sponsored Magic from a Location: Eldritch Calgary Players Stay Out!  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I've got another question for the universal wisdom. In our game (linked below) we have a public park that is serving as a prison for a powerful Giant Formor. numerous leylines have been moved in ancient times to keep this one powerful creature from when the Formor were originally driven underwater. Almost noone in the city knows what is underneath and it being released would basically be game over. In YS when it's talking about Baltimore, it has very basic rules for attuning yourself to the Ley Lines as a lesser form of Sponsored magic. So in this case how would it work?

Would you only have access to the Sponsorship in the park? Or would the city?
Would you still take debt outside of the park and get compelled but other abilities only function there ? (Intellectus?)
Would the compel be based on keeping the Formor imprisoned? Or on the agenda of the Aboriginal Peoples that first incarcerated it?

Basically this is a little far out from normal sponsored magic and some guidance would be appreciated!
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic from a Location: Eldritch Calgary Players Stay Out!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:07:09 PM »
Well, it's up to the GM, really.

In order though:

1. This one's a GM call. If you pay the full Sponsored Magic cost it works anywhere, if you get the discount version it only works 'in the location'. Exactly what that means is up to the GM...but bear in mind that players get Compels whenever the powers they have would be useful but they can't use them.

2. Uh...you can only take debt when using the Sponsored Magic...so no, they can't take more in places where they can't do that. They could still be forced to pay some of it off whenever and wherever, though. Intellectus as such is outside the scope of the rules, and, indeed, requires more than attuning to a leyline to get.

3. Up to your GM. I'd be inclined to be capricious and have it be a mix, depending on whether the Fomor had corrupted that particular bit of magic you just used. So sometimes one and sometimes the other.

The rules for leyline sponsored Magic are also on p. 292 under 'Places of Power' just in case you missed that.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »
The answer would be, as is so often: it depends on what you want.

The difference would first of all be, that stationary sponsored magic costs 1 fate point less than regular sponsored magic.

Beyond that, some thoughts:
If the prison is very localized, it would indeed only work in the park, but since that would probably be fairly boring, I would look for a way to make it work at least throughout the city. One idea for that could be, that the ley lines have been manipulated to converge on the prison, but they have to come from somewhere. The City you are in is where they start to meet, and at points where two ley lines meet, things start to happen. Maybe magic is bubbling up uncontrollably, or the places attract certain nasties that start messing with them (intentionally or coincidentally). The job of the character with the sponsored magic would be to fix those things, so the prison is kept intact. Seems like enough of an agenda to work with.

As you say, I would keep things like Intellectus rather limited. In the park and maybe he gets a vague knowledge of where and what is going wrong with the net of ley lines, when he is in the park, so he knows what to look for. You could even go so far as to grant him ritual/channeling in the sponsors style magic always, but he can only draw upon the sponsor, when he is on or very close to a ley line. That would mean he is carrying most of the magic with him, but if he needs to dig extra deep, he can only do so at locations close to the sponsors power.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:26:16 PM »
I mostly agree with Deadmanwalking, except...

Not having access to a Power can be Compel but it doesn't have to be.

And I'm pretty sure I could stat intellectus.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »
This is what I have so far...I got my book back from a friend I leant it to. I know it's simaler to Kemmlerian Necromancy but I was honestly stumped.

GIFT OF THE CONFLUX [-4]
Description: Tapping into the Ley-Line construct in Nose Hill Park, you've managed to channel a portion of it's great energy...however now you are bound to be a keeper of that which sleeps beneath.
Sponsor: The Ley-Line Prison that hold a Formorian Giant.
Agenda: The prison was constructed to keep the giant imprisoned, and you are now responsibile for keeping the prison secure. Occasional dark impulses favouring the Formor and it's release bubble up...but how bad could it be?
Evocation: The Gift of the Conflux does not provide any form of Evocation.
Thaumaturgy:The Gift of the conflux provides the ability to use Summoning and Binding Thaumaturgy.
Evothaum: Any Thaumaturgy cast with the Gift of the Conflux can be done with the speed and meathods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: The Gift of the Conflux gives a +1 bonus to Complexity and Power for Summoning and Binding. Furthermore when using Summoning and Bnding at the speed of Evocation you can use your specializations in place of your normal Evocation specializations.
Restrictions: The benefits of this magic can only be used within the City Limits of Calgary.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:50:59 PM by Theonlyspiral »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
Uh...all canonical Sponsored Magic does Evocation. If it doesn't it's something else.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure you already use Summoning and Binding specializations for Summoning and Binding regardless of what speed you're doing it.

And finally, if it's place-bound, it should only be -3 Refresh, not -4.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:43 PM »
What sort of Elemental sponsored magic would work for something like this? I spent most of last night trying to figure something thematically appropriate and I just couldn't.

I was unclear on whether or not Thaumaturgy specializations still applied when using Evothaum. I erred on the side of caution here. I've never actually seen Evothaum in play as I've only got about 3 sessions under my belt with Fate and we haven't really had to hash everything out in play yet.

I figured that seeing as the Campaign is limited to the city and some limited time in the Nevernever it's not really a meaningful drawback. I mean yes hypothetically it's restrictive but if the restriction doesn't come up in play once is it really worth a rebate?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:50 PM »
What sort of Elemental sponsored magic would work for something like this? I spent most of last night trying to figure something thematically appropriate and I just couldn't.

Well, Sponsored Magic is thematic, not really elemental per se. Seelie Magic is all about light, heat, growth and wildness, Kemmlerian Necromancy is all about the cold void of death, etc.

What thematic domain is granted by this magic? My immediate thought is raw entropy (from the fomor), stasis, and imprisonment. Which is a perfectly valid thematic area.

I was unclear on whether or not Thaumaturgy specializations still applied when using Evothaum. I erred on the side of caution here. I've never actually seen Evothaum in play as I've only got about 3 sessions under my belt with Fate and we haven't really had to hash everything out in play yet.

It's a little unclear...but at least the Control bonus almost certainly applies.

I figured that seeing as the Campaign is limited to the city and some limited time in the Nevernever it's not really a meaningful drawback. I mean yes hypothetically it's restrictive but if the restriction doesn't come up in play once is it really worth a rebate?

I guess if you never leave the city, yeah...but I'd be shocked if they don't ever leave the city limits for anything. Especially once people know about the Sponsored Magic and know they can flee the city to avid it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:59:03 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:21:50 PM »
If you're sure the restriction is harsh enough for a reduced price I'll yield to someone who knows more about the game than I do. So something like this is how you would do it?

GIFT OF THE CONFLUX [-3]
Description: Tapping into the Ley-Line construct in Nose Hill Park, you've managed to channel a portion of it's great energy...however now you are bound to be a keeper of that which sleeps beneath.
Agenda: The prison was constructed to keep the giant imprisoned, and you are now responsible for keeping the prison secure. Occasional dark impulses favoring the Formor and it's release bubble up...but how bad could it be?
Evocation: The Gift of the Conflux provides the ability to tap into the magic of Stasis and Imprisonment (if drawing upon the ley-lines) or of Entropy and decay (If drawing upon the prisoner).
Thaumaturgy:The Gift of the conflux provides the ability to use Summoning and Binding Thaumaturgy.
Evothaum: Any Thaumaturgy cast with the Gift of the Conflux can be done with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: The Gift of the Conflux gives a +1 bonus to Complexity and Power for Summoning and Binding.
Restrictions: The benefits of this magic can only be used within the City Limits of Calgary.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »
Uh...all canonical Sponsored Magic does Evocation. If it doesn't it's something else.

It doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Kinda surprised to see you say this after you wrote a Sponsored Magic that doesn't do Evocation.

It's a little unclear...but at least the Control bonus almost certainly applies.

It might. It's not even close to certain though.

If you're sure the restriction is harsh enough for a reduced price I'll yield to someone who knows more about the game than I do. So something like this is how you would do it?

GIFT OF THE CONFLUX [-3]
Agenda: The prison was constructed to keep the giant imprisoned, and you are now responsible for keeping the prison secure. Occasional dark impulses favoring the Formor and it's release bubble up...but how bad could it be?
Evocation: The Gift of the Conflux provides the ability to tap into the magic of Stasis and Imprisonment (if drawing upon the ley-lines) or of Entropy and decay (If drawing upon the prisoner).
Evothaum: Any Thaumaturgy cast with the Gift of the Conflux can be done with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: The Gift of the Conflux gives a +1 bonus to Complexity and Power for Summoning and Binding.

I think Calgary is too large an area. Unless your game leaves the city on a fairly regular basis.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 11:20:43 PM »
It doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Kinda surprised to see you say this after you wrote a Sponsored Magic that doesn't do Evocation.

Right...for half cost. If it's full cost, normal, sponsored magic, it does Evocation.

It might. It's not even close to certain though.

Like I said, unclear.  :)

I think Calgary is too large an area. Unless your game leaves the city on a fairly regular basis.

I'm not sure I agree. The size of the area seems secondary to the fact that there's an 'off button' for your magic. If people leave the area, you can't use it on them, and you may have to lure people to the area in order to use it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 11:25:37 PM »
In theory, the extra benefits of a Sponsored Magic could be big enough to justify full price.

You said the control bonus almost certainly applies. What I'm saying is, that ain't so. Even that is vague.

If the reason you regularly leave the city is that people draw you out to shut off your magic, that's fine. The point is, a limitation needs to come up in order to provide a rebate.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 11:46:06 PM »
In theory, the extra benefits of a Sponsored Magic could be big enough to justify full price.

True...but I'd say such benefits are then well on their way to being an entirely new power only inspired by/based on Sponsored Magic.

You said the control bonus almost certainly applies. What I'm saying is, that ain't so. Even that is vague.

I suppose that's true.

If the reason you regularly leave the city is that people draw you out to shut off your magic, that's fine. The point is, a limitation needs to come up in order to provide a rebate.

I do agree with this, I'm just saying that that's the kind of limitation that should come up regularly. It's possible to play a game where (to take an over-the-top example) cold Iron never shows up...but it certainly should show up in most games, y'know? Especially if someone's vulnerable to it...

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 02:45:03 AM »
This is the version I am running by my group on Friday. The discount is for the power not providing any form of Evocation. What do people think?

GIFT OF THE CONFLUX [-3]
Evocation: The Gift of the Conflux provides no Evocation magic.
Extra Benefits: The Gift of the Conflux gives a +1 bonus to Complexity and Power for Summoning and Binding. Additionally you may use your specializations when using Summoning and Binding at the speed of evocation.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 04:29:02 AM »
If it only provides half the normal bonus (Thaumaturgy but no Evocation) it should only cost half the normal amount (-2 Refresh).