Author Topic: Jade court  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Cdawgi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Jade court
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »
If this question can be answered, that's awesome. If it can't, oh well, that sucks, but life goes on and no big deal.

Jim, if you read this, what information can I get about the Jade Court of vampires? I want my campaign to take place in my home town of Grand Forks, ND (just easier because everyone in my group grew up in the area. We know it well). UND campus has a very large number of exchange students from China.

If I can't be allowed that information, can I get some ideas thrown around as to why the Jade Court wouldn't have at least tried to gain a foothold of power in/around campus/Grand Forks?

Thanks in advance for anything!
Cindy

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Jade court
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »
This really should be on the main board instead of the Resources board, they aren't making any new threads in that one.

In answer to your question all we have about the Jade Court is a lot of speculation so they can be doing anything any way you want.  One option that's been pretty well statted out is that instead of life force or blood they devour magic.  I think you can find examples on the generic NPC thread, write ups for their powers are probably on the custom powers list.

Offline jberger990

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:13:35 AM »
I am also not Jim, however if you are trying to stat them in your game I have read a very interesting take on them. In a fan fiction, I know they usually suck but this one was actually of book quality, the author wrote the jade court as being able to cast natural veils and feed on memories;. The most powerful JCV could eat your memories as they were formed effectively stopping you from thinking, though the only one who was shown to do this was the Jade king. Culture wise they were both secretive and honorable, using their memory eating ability to eradicate any knowledge of their activities which is why so little is known about them. At least some of them seemed to hold to an altered form of bushido.

EDIT: in case anyone was wondering the the first "novel" of the fanfiction this was taken from is called broken mirror, and it does feature the jade court.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:42:41 PM by jberger990 »

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 05:28:16 AM »
I am also not Jim, however if you are trying to stat them in your game I have read a very interesting take on them. In a fan fiction, I know they usually suck but this one was actually of book quality, the author wrote the jade court as being able to cast natural veils and feed on memories;. The most powerful JCV could eat your memories as they were formed effectively stopping you from thinking, though the only one who was shown to do this was the Jade king. Culture wise they were both secretive and honorable, using their memory eating ability to eradicate any knowledge of their activities which is why so little is known about them. At least some of them seemed to hold to an altered form of bushido.
I like this. Memory-eating is distinctly different from both blood-drinking and emotion-drinking, it lets them prey on perfectly normal mortals yet still be scary to supernaturals, and it creates a very different set of logical expansions to their powers (namely, that with power, memories could be learned instead of simply consumed, plus aforementioned utility of eating specific memories).

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:18:26 PM »
That... was a really cool take on vampirism! I like it!

What weaknesses did the author give them?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »
All I can picture now is the Silence from Dr Who.

Offline jberger990

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »
Cadd: If I remember right, and it has been a while, they were pretty weak physically, about the same level as a human with comparable conditioning. I'm sure they had an actual weakness but I can't seem to remember it.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »

EDIT: in case anyone was wondering the the first "novel" of the fanfiction this was taken from is called broken mirror, and it does feature the jade court.

I remember this fanfiction. Out of all that I'd read, it was one of the better stories.

Edit: Here's the story: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5430338/1/Broken-Mirror
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Elkhorn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Check out Dresden Files: Dallas RPG campaign on Obsidian Portal!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 07:24:34 PM »
In our campaign (Dresden Files: Dallas), our GM borrowed from various Asian mythologies to come up with his version of the Jade Court, and it's awesomely creepy and way different than the other flavors of vampire:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd/wikis/jade-court

Anyway, we're all open to other groups utilizing our content if you like it, so feel free to poke around (and if you like/use the content, be sure to favorite the campaign - we're pretty proud of the work we've done as a group).
Check out our Dresden Files: Dallas campaign on Obsidian Portal!  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/dfd

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 01:42:20 AM »
Want me to add your Jade Court interpretation to the list?

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 01:47:16 AM »
Yes please, that would be grand.
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 02:42:49 AM »
Done.

I also picked up your Sponsored Magics while I was at it...they'll go onto the relevant list next update, unless you object.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:23:04 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 05:37:33 AM »
No objections at all, feel free.
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:35 PM »
Memory-feeding is an awesome idea. Very sinister and creepy. I may yoink that for my own campaign...