Author Topic: Tabletop Prop Making & Atmosphere building  (Read 3659 times)

Offline eiredrake

• Participant
  • My milkshake brings all the gamers to the yard.
    • View Profile
    • Troubled Waters - A Dresden Files Campaign
Tabletop Prop Making & Atmosphere building
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »
I'm curious. Does anyone else here use physical props, lighting, audio or other stuff to enhance the mood of the game?

Physical props, such as the autopsy reports I am preparing for the next game, are always the most fun for me. I feel that it gives the players something tangible. I wrote up my first one last night using a few I found online as examples. I had to look up what the actual injuries I wanted to express were called in medical terms so I could modify the report. But once it is printed out and put into a manila folder along with some appropriately gruesome pictures (You CAN find actual, if rather horrifying, autopsy photos online after all) it'll make an excellent player handout. Does anyone else do this? Is there interest in maybe creating a board/thread on prop making?

What about lighting? I've actually had a game (It wasn't Dresden) that we played in a cold ass basement with only the light of an indiglo nightlight watch to see our dice by. Granted that was a homebrew system I call 'roll two dice and pray' that has no sheets or stats or anything. Funny thing is the players that were present still talk about it fondly after over a decade. But you don't have to go to that extreme. Track lighting over the table so the players can see what they're rolling would be great, especially if supplemented by lanterns or flameless candles (one of my players is a consummate klutz, so no open flames or glass tabletops for us). Even reflected lighting (as from ceiling pointed torchiere lamps) can change the ambiance of a space. That's why plays, operas and even movies do it.

Then of course there's audio. I've had situations where I've left a sound track from a action film playing in another room. Most of the time it is ignored entirely as far as I can tell except on perhaps an unconscious level. I had a dramatic moment happen coincidentally when there was a sudden crescendo in the music and the players still talk about the chill that ran down their spines.

I had at one point considered writing a program in c# to be one big advanced sound board capable (with the use of surround sound speakers) of having crickets chirp 'over there' while gunshots fire off in the distance and nearby a brook quietly babbles. I only got partway through writing it, but it does bring up the question does anyone ever use sound effects?

At one point in a CoC game I separated each player and took them one by one into our college theater and sat them in a chair. Prefacing the scene with 'Do you Trust me?' I asked them to put on a plush sleep mask to black out their eyes and then with some faintly chilling music playing somewhere nearby I walked around them in a circle describing the scene to keep them slightly disoriented. I got some interesting results with that one. That's another game these players still talk about. Apparently the combination of the music, visual deprivation and my voice echoing around the theater was pretty intense.

What about other immersion techniques? Does anyone have anything they like to do to torment er... I mean enhance the experience of the players?
Blessed are the Game Masters. For verily without them we wouldst all be playing Paychecks and Expenses for our whole lives without relief.

Offline Jimmy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Prop Making & Atmosphere building
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:30:04 PM »
I locked all my players in a large closet and had them come up with an escape plan to get out of an enclosed room that was slowly being heated by a fire beneath it to cook them alive. No character sheets and no dice (I did all the rolling for them). Wasn't Dresden but it was still memorable. And geez the ice cream I was eating at the time was nice and cool and delicious...
Be professional, be polite, and have a plan to kill everybody that you meet...

Offline eiredrake

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 01:54:30 AM »
I locked all my players in a large closet and had them come up with an escape plan to get out of an enclosed room that was slowly being heated by a fire beneath it to cook them alive. No character sheets and no dice (I did all the rolling for them). Wasn't Dresden but it was still memorable. And geez the ice cream I was eating at the time was nice and cool and delicious...

I like it. I'll have to remember that one. So how did they get out?
Blessed are the Game Masters. For verily without them we wouldst all be playing Paychecks and Expenses for our whole lives without relief.

Offline YPU

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:27:27 AM »
I like it. I'll have to remember that one. So how did they get out?
Well.... you know the expression skeletons in the closet?
Your Personal Undead

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »
I'm not nearly quite so industrious. Mostly I'll have some background music in mind for certain parts (if you read my writeups, any section headings with youtube links are the songs I played during that portion of the game). In my first game, I had some printouts of the newspaper articles the ghostly murders were based on, but mostly I rely on music and some pictures now and then.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »
I'm lucky if I can have a plot ready before the game starts.  Mostly I let them get themselves into trouble, pick a landmark that they're going to (museum, zoo, park, waterfront, arena, etc.).  Then I find a thematically appropriate villain and retcon them working for the big bad later.

I do keep the fate points and dice in an ominous looking box.  Does that count?

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »
What kind of background music would you recommend?

As for props, I like the idea of a map of your city with your prime locations marked. You could use a Google Map, but it's difficult to have entire areas marked out on one.

Autopsy reports and the like sound like quite a lot of work for a weekly game. I like what admiralducksauce did in his writeups, selecting actors to play characters. I've started doing that to the characters I come up with.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:58:30 AM »

It really depends on your game, your themes, and your taste. I turn up the classic metal and southern rock for my introductory scenes, but then I turn it down low or off.

For background music that you want to have at a low murmur throughout, I usually turn to video game soundtracks. The Max Payne 3 soundtrack can add a bit of a Michael Mann feeling to your game. The Shank soundtrack is good for anything thematically similar to Desperado or Road House. Foreign languages don't distract like English vocals - we've used Control Machete and Molotov for a Shadowrun game set in South America, for example. Red Dead Redemption has a neat soundtrack, as long as you're running a Western, or a game that you want to connotate Western-type themes for.

Offline eiredrake

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »

As for props, I like the idea of a map of your city with your prime locations marked. You could use a Google Map, but it's difficult to have entire areas marked out on one.

Autopsy reports and the like sound like quite a lot of work for a weekly game. I like what admiralducksauce did in his writeups, selecting actors to play characters. I've started doing that to the characters I come up with.

I know with Google maps you can actually put stuff on the map, like various paths and such and overlays. You can also denote waypoints on it. I haven't fully figured out how it works but I've played on the Denver Shadowrun mux and they had the entirety of 'modern' Denver including it's various nation states all picked out on a Google map that you could zoom in and stuff. It was pretty cool.

Personally I get a lot of mileage out of movie soundtracks. They tend to have dramatic music designed specifically to be evocative. They also tend to have a lot of variety. For example, The Matrix - you have some dramatic fight scene music, but you also have the remix of Dragula by Rob Zombie if you need to do a club scene. Or the Dark Knight sound track lot of awesomely evocative music in there. There are different horror CDs and stuff but I find that they're usually pretty lame. I did find one that I believe was called something like "The sounds of darkness" which was pretty good. it was actually sold as a soundtrack for RPGS. Video game soundtracks would be good too for the same reason.

As far as the autopsy reports there will all toll be seven murders for reasons I won't go into. Since an autopsy can literally take a month or more, they will only be getting the reports for the three murders that happened before the game started. And yeah it is a lot of work but like i said it is fun for me. I think once I am done with them I will PDFize them and maybe see about putting them somewhere for use by gamers and such. That way others can benefit from my work.

Admiral Ducksauce? are you one of the Minions of the Monster Master?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:06:32 PM by eiredrake »

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »
Admiral Ducksauce? are you one of the Minions of the Monster Master?

Nope! I had to google what that was.

I like what admiralducksauce did in his writeups, selecting actors to play characters. I've started doing that to the characters I come up with.

There is a subtle art to "casting" PCs and NPCs, especially NPCs. When you say an NPC looks like Nic Cage, there is an immediate memetic onslaught that, assuming your players are similarly versed in the same media as you, primes their expectations of this NPC. He might be a little crazy. He probably won't be terribly serious. He might be psychic. He also likely won't be a complete villain, even if he's an antagonist. He probably isn't a throwaway NPC either.

All that stuff can help or harm you, and you won't have any control over it once the meme box has been opened. Don't cast Chuck Norris - you get what you deserve if you do. :)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 12:51:14 PM »

There is a subtle art to "casting" PCs and NPCs, especially NPCs. When you say an NPC looks like Nic Cage, there is an immediate memetic onslaught that, assuming your players are similarly versed in the same media as you, primes their expectations of this NPC. He might be a little crazy. He probably won't be terribly serious. He might be psychic. He also likely won't be a complete villain, even if he's an antagonist. He probably isn't a throwaway NPC either.

All that stuff can help or harm you, and you won't have any control over it once the meme box has been opened. Don't cast Chuck Norris - you get what you deserve if you do. :)

You see a lone police officer.  He reminds you of Chuck Norris.  He walks into the room.  You hear gunfire and the sound of a grown man screaming in horrible agonizing pain.  Moments later, the officer's head rolls out of the room, his mouth stuck in a horrible rictus.

Most of my group: Let's go in the room!
My sensible player: Guys?  Really?  I'm going to wait outside.
Most of my group: You'll miss out on the fun.
Sensible player: I like this character, thank you.

Offline eiredrake

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »

There is a subtle art to "casting" PCs and NPCs, especially NPCs. When you say an NPC looks like Nic Cage, there is an immediate memetic onslaught that, assuming your players are similarly versed in the same media as you, primes their expectations of this NPC.

Yeah I get a lot of mileage out of that in my WOD game. It's also useful for metascrewing your players.

For example, if you cast Malcom McDowell as anyone most likely the players will be suspicious of him and assume he's the evil bad guy waiting to screw them over. Because most of the time he plays bad guys. In fact I can't really think of any roll he's ever played where he was a good guy.

So, make him completely honest, completely forthright, genuinely compassionate and caring and put him in a position of authority over the players. I would totally cast McDowell as Father Forthill. They will create their own drama and you can sit back and watch the fireworks. Yeah it's sort of underhanded but they're making assumptions based on out of character knowledge.

I've also done it unknowingly a couple of times. In my WOD game, I have a very old Werewolf matron named Mother Dawn. She's actually a Black Fury from Greece but for some reason when I first introduced her to the game with my current players I just could not get my Greek accent to work. I think part of it was I had sat down and watched like 4 episodes of True Blood with my wife the night before. Bill Compton's Louisiana accent came out and took over. Now whenever I think of Mother Dawn, she learned to speak English in Louisiana hence the accent. Though I imagine a native Greek coming to America in 1910 and learning to speak English in Louisiana would probably be nearly incomprehensible due to the blending of accents. But hey, you work with what you got.

By the second game, the characters decided that she was Mother Abigail Freemantle from The Stand because of that accent. She's not. She's not even close. Mother Dawn was a hell of a warrior in her prime. She's also Greek. But hey, if that's the assumptions they want to make that's fine. I can run with that. They assume that she is a good guy and that she has the best interests of the world at heart. In this case, she does, but the best interests of the world don't necessarily mean the best interests of the PCs.

One of the other unintended consequences of this game was that the players decided that any female that offered them fresh baked cookies was good. Mother Dawn did it. Another NPC did it and they both turned out to be fighting the good fight. The next person to do it, naturally, will be eeevil.

Possibly cast as Mary-Louise Parker. She looks sweet and friendly, though the character she plays in Weeds is a little on the dark side. She cares a lot about her family but has done a lot of dark and questionable things because of it without considering who might get caught in the crossfire.

I've also completely ripped off the Archangel Gabriel from The Prophecy, starring Christopher Walken because I just love that character. The players invariably assume that he is the same epic bad ass that once threatened someone with: "I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why. " and they're generally terrified of him. Even when he's just some homeless indigent appearing in a bit role in the game and is completely harmless. Some times I even throw in the trumpet for the heck of it. I can even do a reasonable approximation of his accent.

Yes I get a lot of mileage out of casting =)

Offline eiredrake

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 04:54:07 PM »
You see a lone police officer.  He reminds you of Chuck Norris.  He walks into the room.  You hear gunfire and the sound of a grown man screaming in horrible agonizing pain.  Moments later, the officer's head rolls out of the room, his mouth stuck in a horrible rictus.

Most of my group: Let's go in the room!
My sensible player: Guys?  Really?  I'm going to wait outside.
Most of my group: You'll miss out on the fun.
Sensible player: I like this character, thank you.

I would never use Chuck Norris. Just because I don't have a lot of like for the man. But I've done similar to what you describe.

However instead of name dropping what i usually do is print out a full color 3x5 picture of the person I'm casting as and plop that down on the table. "You see a guy who looks like this...." and then describe what he's wearing and what he's doing.  They make assumptions from there.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
Christopher Walken has a role in every campaign I GM.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 01:33:20 AM »
Mixing the familiar and the odd can work well.  That is, taking a classic plot and putting a new spin on it.

The Christopher Walken bit got me thinking of Scotland, PA (one of his lesser movies) - which is basically MacBeth set in a small Pennsylvanian town called Scotland.  The plot is basically Shakespeare's but with enough differences to make it a new story.   MacBeth is cook at Duncan's  hamburger stand - and instead of the plot centering around the Scottish crown the action resolves around who will run the hamburger stand.  Christopher Walken appears Lieutenant Ernie McDuff (the state police investigator who investigate the murder), the witches are three stoners (who might not exist outside of MacBeth's mind) - virtually every aspect of the play is there but with a different slant.

Put enough of a different slant on things and the players might not notice that you're running the plot of "The Stepford Wives" or "The Wicker Man" (the classic, not the forgettable remake) - allowing you to borrow from countless sources.  Better yet, pick a more obscure story (such as BBC's "The Green Man") and you can rip off - er - be "inspired" by some of the best storytellers out there.  Storytellers who have already worked at establishing the mood of the piece.

Because borrowing plots give you rich resources to use for props.  Someone else has built the mental image for you and all you need to do is find things that match it.  You can look at a jpg and say "that screams Modern Lady MacBath" or "that landscape captures the isolation of The Wicker Man's setting".  You can play a folk (or filk) song that captures the feel of the music from The Wicker Man to set the scene.

If you have any low budget DVDs, try listen to the director commentary.  Often they will explain why they picked this music to frame the scene (and sometimes they mention the music they wanted to use, but couldn't afford), why they shot that scene at that location, how they build the imagery to make that scene give an emotional impact.  Then borrow their tricks for your game.

Richard