Author Topic: The RAW...  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
Re: The RAW...
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
I haven't heard that one, but I have heard of the commoner railgun. Take the Leadership feat and gather a large following of level 1 commoners, and have them all bucket-brigade-style pass something from one person to the next. Since passing is a free action, you can effectively move anything any distance in literally 0 time.

Arguments have been made that the speed at which this object passes requires it be a deadly projectile beyond the 1d4 of improvised weapons.
You don't even need the (super-broken) 3rd Ed. Leadership feat to do it.  In any edition, simply hire the commoners for a copper or two apice.  By 5th level you've got a lifetimes' worth of salary for most common families in your back pocket.

An argument for verisimilitude that derails itself (that one, trying to use a velocity calculation while ignoring the rest of physics) isn't one that has any teeth, though.
The real problem comes in when you have so many splat books that you can't be bothered to have all of your designers learn them all, and then have broken combos appear.
PunPun is a fun logic exercise that demonstrates how broken D&D 3.X can be, and I recommend anyone doing game design read up on it.  It's also just a fun thought exercise, if you like that sort of thing.  Google it if you're interested.

FATE-based games generally avoid this, though, partially by not aiming to put out endless splatbooks, and partially by leaving the storytelling in the shared hands of the group, rather than annointing a power-drunk godling in the DM.

I <3 FATE games.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The RAW...
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 05:07:28 AM »
RAI most often comes up when attempting to resolve contradictions that fall outside of the system rules for resolving contradictions. It is most often inferred from examples, external communications and the readings that are the least contradictory or least abusive. Outside of a few bits in magic item creation, ("Do potions benefit from craft frequency foci and specializations?" is the classic example), I doubt you will ever encounter in DFRPG