Author Topic: RPG for complete Vanillas  (Read 4772 times)

Offline PerfectVeil

• Participant
    • View Profile
RPG for complete Vanillas
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »
OK. I've heard about RPG's thanks to my love of the Dresden files.
But I can't seem to find a thread that will explain to me, in ultimate Vanilla-Mortal style, how the heck these things work?!
It's not like I haven't gone to the main website and checked out some character sheets, but i just can't work out how those things tranlate into an actual game.
Please can someone patient and practical clue me in?
"it gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a journey, time is a river and the door is ajar."

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: RPG for complete Vanillas
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:12:31 PM »
My apologies if I have misinterpreted your question, but it sounds like you are asking how RPGs work?

Here is a Wikipedia article you may find useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

Other useful articles:
http://www.rpg.net/oracle/essays/whatisrpg.html
http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/whatis/  (but ignore the links at the bottom - they are mostly out of date)
http://www.rpgfan.com/editorials/old/1998/0007.html

Once you know what the basics of an RPG are, it gets easier to explain how the Dresden Files RPG works in relation to other games.

I don't personally have a clever, short answer to the question, but if you read at least one of these articles, I'd be happy to answer specific questions.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:16:28 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:37:02 PM »
And, lest it go unsaid: welcome to the boards! I hope we can provide you with the guidance you need.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »
Please can someone patient and practical clue me in?
Remember playing "cops and robbers" as a kid?  You can think of RPGs as an organized version of that, usually with a referee and rules to help decide who shot whom and when.  ;)

To put it in technical terms, "a role-playing game is a rule-based system with a variable and quantifiable outcome. It is set in a persistent imaginary world where players influence the outcome and the environment, players feel attached to the outcome, and the consequences of the activity are optional and negotiable."

Less technically, you play an avatar in a fictional setting.  Usually with allies played by others and a referee who plays the non-player (everyone else in the setting) characters.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline PerfectVeil

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »
Wow that was quick. Thanks for the replies guys.

Devonapple: I'll read up asap. I'm at work now.. though not sure how much I've achieved so far that's actually work related. 
UmbraLux: I think I get what you are saying....Ok... yeah I think I do. It's not a board game or a video game or a card game..... it's just a game !

I'm on the verge of buying "Our World" ... I want the short story. I guess this will be my start then!  8)
"it gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a journey, time is a river and the door is ajar."

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:13:26 AM »
Devonapple: I'll read up asap. I'm at work now.. though not sure how much I've achieved so far that's actually work related. 

Yeah, my apologies for the homework assignment. I'm at work, too, and I hate to reinvent the wheel when others have perfectly acceptable descriptions. Thanks for rising to the occasion, UnbraLux!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:15:18 AM by devonapple »

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:34:08 AM »
I'm on the verge of buying "Our World" ... I want the short story. I guess this will be my start then!  8)
Just as an FYI, "Our World" is a supplement containing all sorts of game stats for the various characters you see in the Dresden Files novels.  If you want to be able to play the game, you'll need "Your Story" first, which has the actual rules and tells you what all of those game stats in Our World actually mean.

This is not to say there isn't a wealth of background information in Our World that might interest you to read (and there is), but if you want to learn about the game, Your Story is where you do that.  (And by asking questions here!)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 01:01:15 AM »
Also, "Your Story" has a lot of color commentary and margin notes from Bob, Dresden and Billy which is very entertaining - the conceit being that this published version was actually a draft that went to print with comments and corrections scribbled all over it, bits taped into place, etc.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 04:54:36 AM »
You might like to read http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22372.msg966827.html#msg966827 - it summarizes parts of the game system after giving a spoiler free intro to the DV.

Basically, table top role playing games are a group of friends sitting around a table (or using one of countless ways to link up on the net) playing a game of "let's pretend" with rules.  One guy (the game master or GM) portrays the world while each player using plays a single character.  In the DFRPG the players can also add to the world - which different from several other RPGs where GM has total control of the world.

You might want to look at some of the Play by Post games - which is an alternative to everyone sitting down together.

Here's hoping that you enjoy yourself.

Richard

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 03:00:06 PM »
Shoot me a PM, we can arrange to have you sit in on one of my sessions some Tuesday evening. You can watch a game being played and I can explain things to you as they happen.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline sqlcowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »
Shoot me a PM, we can arrange to have you sit in on one of my sessions some Tuesday evening. You can watch a game being played and I can explain things to you as they happen.

So you want to scare him away from playing RPGs? :)

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »
Don't worry, I'll keep my girlfriend from b****ing in the channel.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline PerfectVeil

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 02:38:04 AM »
You are very kind Ghsdkgb. I would love to watch a game being played. Although I'll have to try and sit in on one going on when my other half isn't home. I'm already accused of being unhealthily addicted to Dresden, without throwing RPG's in the works  :P

Offline sqlcowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
The trick is to get your other half heavily involved as well :)

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »
The trick is to get your other half heavily involved as well :)

I've heard both sides on this-- and been on both sides.  Some couples like to do gaming together; others find it as a nice time-apart activity.

Both are valid approaches, but be sure your Sig.O. knows about and is cool with your hobbies.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys