Author Topic: An idea for modeling completely untrained magical talent  (Read 68563 times)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: An idea for modeling completely untrained magical talent
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
But all of that disappears instantly the second he makes a single choice. I dislike that.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2012, 07:59:05 PM »
You're right, it does. Which is kind of fitting in a setting that so emphasizes that choices and their consequences are important. That magnitude of choice is why your average Changeling remains a changeling as long as they do.

Some choices are big. Many are permanent. Many close off options you might have had if you hadn't taken that choice.

That is the nature of the game, and I don't see how that's a bad thing.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »
When a Changeling chooses he is consciously reject half of his parentage.  Either he becomes a new person or he becomes a Fairy.  Either way he's looking at massive changes to his life.

And as he rejects half of his life, he does so in a way that science can't explain.  I'm drawing from the Carpenter family for this - and since I'll be referencing WoJs I'll use the spoiler tag.
(click to show/hide)

Richard

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2012, 08:11:35 PM »
You misunderstand. I don't dislike that a changeling looses some options. That creates struggle. That's great.

I dislike the idea that the choice removes consequences of previous actions. It doesn't matter how deep into it he was. It doesn't matter his relationship with his parent. It doesn't matter that he built up muscle (even if it was a bit easier for him to come by). Suddenly all of that goes away and he is someone else and he knows exactly who he is now (something few of us achieve in our whole lifetime). It just doesn't seem "realistic" to me. It breaks my suspension of disbelief.

I also dislike that concept Richard. It removes choice, choice that is interesting and creates drama. I understand that it's straight from Jim's mouth, but I dislike it, and will choose to do otherwise.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 09, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »

Disclaimer: This is an example.  I do not wish to discuss my opinions of social combat/consequences at all, let alone on this thread. Please treat my opinion as an example (like it is intended).  I do not wish to derail this conversation. :-X

I hate to say this but....

I don't like social combat.  I despise it.  i accept that it is part of the system.  I stopped trying to convince people to my way of thinking.  Most of the responses I get equate to:

"Get over it, it's part of the system." ::)
"I see your point, I disagree/don't care" ::)
"I see no basis for your opinion" ::)
"You have bad reasons to feel this way." ::)
"I like social combat." ::)

I accept it.  I don't like those responses.  They are however fair responses.  I am in the minority, why harp on it?

Well to be honest.

Most of those responses apply just as well to "I don't like the changeling rule as is." or "I think things other than Pure Mortals should get the +2 refresh"

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:38:28 PM by Silverblaze »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2012, 08:40:49 PM »
We haven't heard the rest of Ace's story yet.  It's possible that when we do, everything we know about Changelings will change.  Jim has done that in the past, putting it down to Harry not understand what was really happening.

It's also possible that Paranet (or another book) will expand on the theory behind the templates (hint to Fred).  But until then the RAW doesn't give Changelings +2 refresh for not taking powers at creation.

Richard

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
And as he rejects half of his life, he does so in a way that science can't explain.  I'm drawing from the Carpenter family for this - and since I'll be referencing WoJs I'll use the spoiler tag.
(click to show/hide)

Richard

(click to show/hide)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Richard

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »
Living with someone as powerful as Ebenezer McCoy might just count as "in a place of power."

That said, I remember hearing secondhand about some WOJ that because Harry's got so much power, any kid he has is likely to have some magical talent.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »
Coming latelatelate to the party. Fascinated the discussion has gone on this long.

I still feel like having aspects you can invoke to come close to mimicking powers is a cheat or a sneaky way to circumvent the Pure mortal rule. 

This is about my opinion on the subject.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 09, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
devonapple, or silverblaze for that matter, how would you define 'close to mimicking a power'?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #206 on: April 09, 2012, 11:19:14 PM »
devonapple, or silverblaze for that matter, how would you define 'close to mimicking a power'?

What level of granularity do you require to consider anything I suggest to be a meaningful and persuasive definition?

Edit: or, you may provide me with a list of short suggestions and I will rate them.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:30:39 PM by devonapple »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 09, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »
What level of granularity do you require to consider anything I suggest to be a meaningful and persuasive definition?

I'm not sure precisely what you're asking, here, but preferably something for which I cannot, off the top of my head, provide an equivalent result for through the use of a properly worded and invoked mundane aspect.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #208 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
I'm not sure precisely what you're asking, here, but preferably something for which I cannot, off the top of my head, provide an equivalent result for through the use of a properly worded and invoked mundane aspect.

I'm asking, simply, for the rules. You see, people have shifted the rules, assumptions, and goals of this debate countless times during the discussion, and I would prefer to have a baseline from which to work, rather than have the rhetorical focus shifted mid-discussion.

So, what do you mean by "something"?
Do you want an effect? Or the rationalization for that effect?
The narrative result of an Invoke? Or the narrative logic which makes that Invoke acceptable?

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »
I see most of this argument being derived from a stubborn refusal to include "Template" as a character trait.  With that, this becomes easy -- either the character sheet has "Template: Pure Mortal" on it, in which case the character is wholely non-supernatural but does get the +2 refresh bonus that is built into the Template, or the character has "Template: <anything else>" on it, in which case there's no +2 refresh bonus.

Even without having an explict "Template:" entry, though, every character does in fact have a Template defined on his sheet in the form of a High Concept, which is linked to Template.  By this, I mean that all supernatural Templates must have a High Concept that references them, and the Pure Mortal Template should (in my opinion, at least, and I believe this opinion is shared by those who chose #3 in my survey) fail to mention any supernatural Template.

That's basically the point I was indirectly trying to make in my little survey.  If you want to have a supernatural aspect, that's cool.  If your table wants to let such aspects grant aspect to minor supernatural capabilities, that's great, too.  But having a supernatural aspect is exactly the same thing as choosing a supernatural Template, which means that you are something other than a Pure Mortal.  And anything that is not Pure Mortal should not get the Pure Mortal refresh bonus.

(Note, by the way, that none of the above precludes (a) taking multiple Templates (and ensuring a High Concept that references all of them), so long as none of them are Pure Human, or (b) changing your Template in a way that fits the storyline.  In the latter case, for example, a Pure Mortal could be attacked by an RCV and become an RCI -- they'd take on the RCI Template by stripping off the Pure Mortal bonus, changing their High Concept in an appropriate way,  and adding in powers from the RCI template.)