Author Topic: DFRPG In Other Time P... *AHEM!* Yadda-Yadda, Something About Claws and Stuff.  (Read 30999 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: DFRPG In Other Time Periods?
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2012, 12:46:24 AM »
Your example is wrong, Mr. Death. Human Guise drops as soon as you use the powers.
My mistake, I misread.

How do you know what Claws was intended to be? You aren't telepathic.
No, but the fact that it's listed in Creature Features, and is described as "claws, fangs, or other natural weapon" and is described as being something obvious without concealment is a pretty big hint.

Almost every power in the game is designed so that it can be used with a variety of narratives. This is good, you can see its positive effects when someone asks how to model something and has their problem solved with reflavoured canon powers.
And there are indeed canon powers and stunts that add Weapon ratings to bare fists.

A balance landmine is anything that can suddenly and accidentally make a character stronger or weaker when an unskilled player uses it. By treating narrative elements as important to power, you make it possible for someone to overpower or cripple their character by narrating them a certain way.
There's a point where the GM and the Player have to work these kinds of things out.

My definition of a hard compel is a compel where the drawbacks outweigh the benefits of accepting. One you want to refuse.
Ah, there's where we differ, then. My definition is a compel that makes the player have to really consider buying it off.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2012, 12:50:08 AM »
When what you want is to add a weapon rating to your Fists, you spend refresh and get that weapon rating. Why should you have to jump through hoops?

Clearly it's not mechanically necessary. And you have no right to dictate narrative to people.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2012, 01:06:54 AM »
When what you want is to add a weapon rating to your Fists, you spend refresh and get that weapon rating. Why should you have to jump through hoops?
And Killer Blows and Lethal Weapon let you do exactly that.

Clearly it's not mechanically necessary. And you have no right to dictate narrative to people.
I didn't think I was. I'm just trying to stick to the RAW on this power.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2012, 01:19:54 AM »
Killer Blows and Lethal Weapon both involve jumping through hoops, and Claws dictates narrative.

If you just want to use the RAW, go ahead. But don't say the RAW is not flawed unless you have a good reason to believe that.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2012, 01:39:20 AM »
A stunt is "jumping through hoops"?

And I'm not saying the RAW isn't flawed. I'm just saying the RAW was written that way for a reason.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2012, 02:20:22 AM »
The stunt requirements are hoops.

And the reasons you've given for the way the RAW were written are not very good.

PS: Killer Blow is awful, I'd rather have +2 to underwater basketweaving.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »
...And the reasons you've given for the way the RAW were written are not very good...

... because they fit the world that the game is based on and because they make logical sense?  I don't see these as poor reasons at all, but maybe I need to reexamine what I look for in an IP-based RPG.   ::)
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2012, 07:46:36 PM »
Given that +2 stress has no clear meaning within the game-world, those arguments don't work very well.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »
Given that +2 stress has no clear meaning within the game-world, those arguments don't work very well.
Only because you've isolated the machanical advantage from the narrative reason for someone having that advantage.

If we're just going to let people purchase whatever numerical bonuses they want irrelevant to the narrative reasons for getting those improvements, why not just play any of the strictly level-based RPGs out there?  "Oh, you're attacking me?  Good thing I'm a higher level than you and simply win by numerical fiat."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:02:23 PM by Orladdin »
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »
Only because you've isolated the machanical advantage from the narrative reason for someone having that advantage.

If we're just going to let people purchase whatever numerical bonuses they want irrelevant to the narrative reasons for getting those improvements, why not just play any of the strictly level-based RPGs out there?  "Oh, you're attacking me?  Good thing I'm a higher level than you and simply win by numerical fiat."

Uh oh.  narrative reason....  This conversation is about to shift.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Nah, that's what the conversation's been about for a while.

Orladdin, you've got my postion backwards.

I care about this because I care about narrative. Visibility of Claws is non-mechanical, it's not something that someone who only cares about mechanics would care about.

I care about this because I strongly believe that there is no wrong way to play, and so people who want to flavour their Claws weirdly should be accommodated by the rules.

And I care because I'm tired of seeing the lousy custom powers and balance decisions that get made when people don't accept the division between narrative and mechanics.

PS: Good level-based games don't work like that. Heck, even the bad ones don't. Put a 20th level Monk against a 19th level wizard in D&D, the wizard will win effortlessly. Actually, I've read serious arguments from internet people saying that a 20th level wizard could effortlessly crush a 1000th level monk.

Besides, tactics and luck matter. Sometimes the stronger fighter loses.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2012, 02:19:42 PM »
PS: Good level-based games don't work like that. Heck, even the bad ones don't. Put a 20th level Monk against a 19th level wizard in D&D, the wizard will win effortlessly. Actually, I've read serious arguments from internet people saying that a 20th level wizard could effortlessly crush a 1000th level monk.

Besides, tactics and luck matter. Sometimes the stronger fighter loses.
  It was a example-in-hyperbole, but we'll discuss this for a quick moment anyway.  Certainly in level-based games some classes might be more powerful in certain situations than others.  People always use D&D wizards as an example of OP (and they aren't explicitly wrong to do so) but if you compare a 6th level monk to an 8th level monk you should see what I mean.  Comparing a monk to a wizard is too much apples and oranges for my example to function properly in the context of D&D.

In any case, MMORPGs are still very much like this.  If you've ever played WoW outside of the new-release  rush-to-level-cap, you'll have a good example.  They explicitly make it so people more than 1 level higher than you are at such an advantage that fighting them is nearly worthless.  The hit- damage- and critical-bonus system in WoW is explicitly set up for this to be the case in order to make the higher-level (see: more invested) players feel special.

... Again, though, not critical to the discussion at-hand.

Nah, that's what the conversation's been about for a while.
<sarcasm> Pssh, yeah, keep up Silver. </sarcasm> ;)

Orladdin, you've got my postion backwards.
  While I'm not above being wrong, I think I do understand your position here.  Maybe I've not been clear enough in my examples to show it, though.  Let me go over your points.

I care about this because I care about narrative. Visibility of Claws is non-mechanical, it's not something that someone who only cares about mechanics would care about.
  But it should be something they care about.  There's a reason why an Abram's Tank, while far more powerful than an Uzi, is less useful in practice.  Narrative balance to mechanical strength does exist, even if it is inconvenient.  That's why game balance is such a hard thing to do

You can't drive around town in your Abrams.  People in the game world simply won't let you.

I care about this because I strongly believe that there is no wrong way to play, and so people who want to flavour their Claws weirdly should be accommodated by the rules.
  I agree with this sentiment.  Entirely, in fact.

The point I made before (I think it might have been in another thread at this point, but you were there) is that the granularity provided by the DFRPG / FATE refresh right now doesn't account for such a balanced disadvantage/advantage.  I agree that you should be able to have claws that are retractable.  But they should "cost more" than their less convenient counterparts.  The problem is that the difference between 1 refresh and 2 refresh is huge.  The only other option is to introduce another, smaller, (perhaps narrative) drawback of the same calibur.  If you don't, then one set of claws is superior to the other because of the removal of a narrative restriction.  I know you disagree about whether or not that's true, but I assure you it is.  If I have the choice between claws that are always-out or ones that are optionally-out for the same price, I am going to pick the optionally-out ones every time (barring flavor reasons to the contrary, of course, but perhaps even then).
Does this mean the system is flawed in some way?  Yes.  But what system isn't?  This flaw certainly isn't worth throwing the baby out with the bath water for.

And I care because I'm tired of seeing the lousy custom powers and balance decisions that get made when people don't accept the division between narrative and mechanics.
  This is just like saying "I'm tired of seeing all of these lousy structures designed and built on the ground because people can't accept the division of mass and gravity.  If you'd just ignore the existance of gravity, we could have much cooler buildings!"

Yours is an idealists' division.  It cannot actually exist.  Your job is harder because narrative does play a part in mechanical design.  They are inextricably linked in a good game.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »
... Oh, and now that I've posted that last example;  IB4Higgs-Boson.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »
The only other option is to introduce another, smaller, (perhaps narrative) drawback of the same calibur.

This got me thinking...  What if (either implicitly or explicitly) it took a supplemental action to extend or retract the claws, just like drawing or sheathing a weapon?

So, you would be, in effect, spending 1 refresh for a sword that can't be disarmed, is easily concealed, and that uses your Fists skill instead of Weapons.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2012, 09:19:06 PM »
Narrative balance to mechanical strength does exist, even if it is inconvenient.

This is factually incorrect, at least in this game. All aspects are equal, that's a basic property of the system's balance.

There are games where narrative is used to balance mechanics, and they tend to be broken as a result.

Given that tanks aren't parts of characters, they aren't really relevant to this discussion.

This is just like saying "I'm tired of seeing all of these lousy structures designed and built on the ground because people can't accept the division of mass and gravity.  If you'd just ignore the existance of gravity, we could have much cooler buildings!"

Yours is an idealists' division.  It cannot actually exist.  Your job is harder because narrative does play a part in mechanical design.  They are inextricably linked in a good game.

My complaint is more like "I'm tired of seeing all these lousy structures built without walls because people can't accept that gravity and mass are different things. If you'd just accept the difference, we could have buildings that don't collapse!"

The powers I'm complaining about are not functional. Whereas the ones I write from my perspective are.

I've seen both approaches used, and mine works better.

And my distinction does exist. You can see it in every game I play and every power I write.

This got me thinking...  What if (either implicitly or explicitly) it took a supplemental action to extend or retract the claws, just like drawing or sheathing a weapon?

So, you would be, in effect, spending 1 refresh for a sword that can't be disarmed, is easily concealed, and that uses your Fists skill instead of Weapons.

That would be pointlessly punitive. Why should you have to pay for retractable claws? Retractable-ness has no mechanical value.

Though I did do something along those lines when I wrote up Natural Weaponry. Have you seen that power? It represents what I want Claws and Breath Weapon to look like.