Author Topic: Enchanted Gun?  (Read 5347 times)

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanted Gun?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
Maybe.  For a reference point, I have, in my game, given out a winter-aspected bow that has a couple of powers to it - it shapeshifts to any similar weapon that the wielder might be more familiar with (in this case, a sniper rifle), and it can fire winter ice bullets (arrows, whatever) without needing ammunition.  Since the game mechanics for guns don't call for explicit ammunition counts, this has so far proved to be entirely balanced as a zero point item - it's been occasionally more useful than a mundane sniper rifle (bullets that melt and confuse ballistics experts), and occasionally less useful (as a winter artifact, it can be tracked by winterfae, annoys summerfae, etc.) - but it's certainly not worth having spent refresh on a breath weapon power.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 08:22:56 PM »
Either for inspiration or blatant ripoff potential, the Supernatural Colt would definitely be an Item of Power.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 01:09:11 AM »
Enchanted Flintlock, or Single Action Peacemaker. You could make part of the enchantment it doesnt misfire or doesnt need bullets.
Its not real life its a game, calm down

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 04:46:50 AM »
In the game I'm running, we've got a pretty powerful artificer type character.  I let him make a magazine for another character's Desert Eagle that never runs out of ammo. 

I basically just treat this as an aspect that prevents me from compelling to say "You're clip's empty."  This was after prolonged exposure to the Nevernever without a supply of bullets.

Offline Logiwonk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »
How do you guys handle enchanted bullets under the "bullets as potions" approach?  Specifically with regards to the strength of the attack.  For example, a shot from a heavy-duty revolver would be a strength 3 attack.  If my character has a Lore of +3 does that mean that an exploding fireball-type bullet should do 3+3 = 6 damage?

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »
No.  It functions like a potion - so in your example, the fireball bullet would be weapon rating 3 - or, for an exploding bullet that hits an entire zone, weapon rating 1.  You would attack using your firearms skill, though.

Offline Logiwonk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 08:02:16 PM »
So if my player's lore is only +3 then an enchanted bullet is just as good as a regular one?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 08:03:49 PM »
So if my player's lore is only +3 then an enchanted bullet is just as good as a regular one?

Yes, but enchanted bullets can be built to satisfy a Catch with little justification.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 08:05:53 PM »
In terms of raw damage, usually.  However, keep in mind, potion strength can be boosted by aspect invokes, accepting compels, crafting specializations or foci, or spending multiple potion slots on one bullet.  In addition, it makes it much easier to vary your attack type - for example, if you're shooting at something whose catch is fire, a normal bullet won't get to bypass the target's toughness.  (Though, of course, having the right bullet on hand will typically require a lore declaration at a difficulty set by the GM.)

Offline Logiwonk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 08:09:50 PM »
Ah, great thanks for the reminder about boosting strength with multiple slots, he's likely to start the game with 8 "bullet/potion" slots and this should help keep him from walking around with an arsenal of instant death.  Also, invoking and compelling aspects is a good point.  For example, this character survived a necromancer-lead zombie attack on his small midwestern village, so he could load up an anti-Zombie round and spend a fate point to invoke his 'Zombie attack sole survivor" aspect for a 5 strength anti-zombie bullet.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Well, generally, he'd be better off spending an aspect invoke on the attack roll.  The compel option (see the paragraph split across YS280-281) is likely to be more useful to him.  And, with 8 slots, he'd get good use out of a crafting focus item or two - for example, he could have 8 slots at power 3, or 6 slots at power 4, or 4 slots with two uses each at power 4, or, etc.  (Rules for these are on YS280)

Offline Logiwonk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 08:25:14 PM »
Gotcha, so he could make a custom bullet-mold inscribed with runes of power as a Crafting +1 power focus and using the remaining 6 spots at +4, sounds like a good idea.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 08:28:03 PM »
I have to admit: I am heartily enjoying this thread.  What originally sounded like a silly idea to me has become something I feel like statting up and playing!  :-D

Well done, folks.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Logiwonk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »
I'm psyched that there are some great mechanics for this that don't unbalance the game.  So now to add in EFFECTS to the bullet/potions besides damage.  What about a bullet that would use cold to "slow-mo" the target, I was thinking:

Lore +3 and +1 for Focus = +4 total strength
+2 Weapon Strength + Target gains FRAGILE aspect "Magically Slowed"
OR
No attack, + Target gains sticky aspect "Magically slowed"

Basically, what's the power trade off for adding aspects to the target?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 09:53:12 PM »
We really only have one model for attacking while adding an aspect, and that is the special effects attack on YS326. Basically the whole concept is that you devote the shifts of the spell (or the weapon value, etc) to creating an aspect. These shifts are what must overcome the difficulty set by the GM (if an unresisted maneuver) or the defense of the target. Then the targeting roll is resolved as an attack, dealing stress equal to the number of shifts by which they exceeded the defense.