Author Topic: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?  (Read 44236 times)

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
Re: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2012, 08:01:24 PM »
Readers that have been in this genre for a while maybe, but newbies, like me, are just tickling our toes in the world of UF, so there will always be newcomers to keep the books coming.  Like discovering old TV shows I get hooked on, that I never saw until they were in re-runs or off the air.  That's happened to me several times.

And I'm glad to see several books mentioned here that I've picked up to start at some point...like The Iron Druid Series...if I can ever get my head out of DF.  I do research online, read most of the reviews to see if it's a book I'll like - and that way I can avoid the UF romance stuff that does not interest me.  I want it all...drama, angst...action...and romance, but I don't want it to be the whole focus of the book.  I also tend to gravitate towards series.  There's more character development, which is a requirement for me.

So bring it on!

"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2012, 12:54:50 AM »
That means you have lots of books to read. :)

Even though I've mentioned a couple of writers I could list enough to keep you in reading for a year or more. Besides Jim there's another five or so who are my favorites. Some are darker than Jim but I liked the story telling anyway. And it looks like a couple of my favorite series are coming to a close. :(
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2012, 01:47:30 AM »
Gulp.  Yes I do, it seems, but I love to read, so it is not a burden at all, rather a joy to know I have a stack of books on my shelf to read, especially when winter rolls around.

But next I have to re-read DF, because I blew through all the books pretty darn fast...and not in order, as I wasn't able to find all of them at first.  In fact my first read was Turn Coat.  LOL

I'd be interested in your list of authors.  And though I love Jim's blending of humor and drama, I dig plain ole dark drama just as much.

So far I have found books by Harry Connolly (3), Kevin Hearne (3), Justin Gustainus (3), Joseph Nassise (Heretic) and Patrick Rothfull (The Name of the Wind).  Are any of those on your list?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2012, 03:31:43 AM »
Gulp.  Yes I do, it seems, but I love to read, so it is not a burden at all, rather a joy to know I have a stack of books on my shelf to read, especially when winter rolls around.

But next I have to re-read DF, because I blew through all the books pretty darn fast...and not in order, as I wasn't able to find all of them at first.  In fact my first read was Turn Coat.  LOL

I'd be interested in your list of authors.  And though I love Jim's blending of humor and drama, I dig plain ole dark drama just as much.

So far I have found books by Harry Connolly (3), Kevin Hearne (3), Justin Gustainus (3), Joseph Nassise (Heretic) and Patrick Rothfull (The Name of the Wind).  Are any of those on your list?

The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews is a good one 5 or 6 books and counting.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2012, 03:41:29 AM »

I will do a partial list here, there are too many books to list at once.

But my top Five---outside of Butcher that is.

John Levit--Dog Days series--there are five to seven of them and that's it for now.

C. E. Murphy--she has one UF and one paranormal-new series with two books-- and maybe three fantasy series. I say maybe because one or two might actually be paranormal. But my favorite is the Walker papers. Great story telling.

laura anne gilman--two UF series set in the same universe. The Retriever series is the first and best I think. It has ended for now so she can work on the P.U.P.I. series. And I did her name like that on purpose, it's the way it is on her books, I like to say she along with Butcher are responsible for the current rage in UF but the next writer probably helped too.

Rachael Caine--I hope that is her last name I don't have a book handy--but she has two maybe three series, two are set in the same universe. The Stormwarden series may have been started before The Dresden Files.

Anton Strout--The Simon Canderous series. It's a lighthearted series or at least the first couple were, I think he's losing the lightheartedness but still good.   

There are at least two more writers I will list but I don't want to take the time right now but those will keep you in reading material for quite a while. :)

And I didn't recognize the writers you listed, which doesn't mean much :)
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2012, 04:22:15 AM »
LDWriter2:  Thanks!  This is great!  I've seen a few of the names before, but don't know anything about them.  I guess you can check out my list and I'll check out yours.  I notice your list is mostly women, where mine is all men.  I think I have this misconception that female writers are more into the UF/romance thing.  Guess that may not be quite accurate.

And a shout out and thanks to you, The Deposed King, for recommending the Kate Daniels series.  I will definitely check it out.

I'm gonna need a bigger bookcase...

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
Benedict Jacka: the Alex Verus series. Book 1, Fated, and book 2, Cursed, are already out, and book 3, Taken, is due out in three months. Jim himself has happily supplied cover blurbs to the series and has Jacka on his must-read list.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2012, 10:46:46 AM »
Benedict Jacka: the Alex Verus series. Book 1, Fated, and book 2, Cursed, are already out, and book 3, Taken, is due out in three months. Jim himself has happily supplied cover blurbs to the series and has Jacka on his must-read list.
and now i am going to look this up
bad Shecky i have two weeks off school and you go giving out names of books
no wonder i never have any money  ::)

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
Thanks, Shecky!  I think I did see somewhere that Jim liked these books, so they are definitely going on my list.  I'm glad you reminded me about them.

And cen...I gave up on having money a long time ago.  It seems I'd rather feed my obsessions than eat.   :D

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
lol zuriel the problem is i have other things i need this money for and my funds are far streched enough a it is with out bying more books
plus i need another book self as it is
oh well more books to enjoy it is

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »
lol zuriel the problem is i have other things i need this money for and my funds are far streched enough a it is with out bying more books
plus i need another book self as it is
oh well more books to enjoy it is

I hear you!  Was wondering, though, is there a good library close by where you could borrow books, in lieu of buying them?  When I do find one at the library, I read it, and then if it's something I think I would read again, I'll buy it.  Or I search for them at my local used bookstore that has, so far, been a very good source - and cheap.  The few I have purchased lately may be the extent of my buying spree, as I re-think how much I should spend.  So I think it's back to the library for me.

But as soon as I started reading DF, I knew these were books that I would read again - and again - so I rushed out to grab all the books, and again, was lucky to find many at the used bookstore for a very reasonable price.

And then I had to purchase two DF coffee mugs online here (they offered a discount yesterday), and, well, no one twisted my arm, but the mugs aren't going to be around much longer, and I wanted to enjoy my morning coffee with Harry.  LOL  It's the little things in life that keep me happy.   :)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »
i found the DF sires at my libary
i have only got a small libary and mostly only get adio books from it
if they are rely good i try and get my own coppy like i am doing with the DF sires but it is very limeted sulection at my libary  :(
so i often have to use my kindle to get books 

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »
i found the DF sires at my libary
i have only got a small libary and mostly only get adio books from it
if they are rely good i try and get my own coppy like i am doing with the DF sires but it is very limeted sulection at my libary  :(
so i often have to use my kindle to get books 

The library in the county next to mine has a much better, bigger library, but being out-of-county I would have to pay a yearly fee for the privilege of using that one.  Ugh.  So I have to deal with a library that doesn't carry much, either.  I don't have a Kindle, preferring to be old school and hold an actual book in my hands, and I haven't tried audio books.  Guess I'm a bit old fashioned.   :P

Well, must go.  *rushes out into the real world that is screaming at me to get a move on...darn thing...always inteferring...*

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
i prefure to hold a book or liso if i can but with my siht and reading rate the kindle has advantages

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »
LDWriter2:  Thanks!  This is great!  I've seen a few of the names before, but don't know anything about them.  I guess you can check out my list and I'll check out yours.  I notice your list is mostly women, where mine is all men.  I think I have this misconception that female writers are more into the UF/romance thing.  Guess that may not be quite accurate.

And a shout out and thanks to you, The Deposed King, for recommending the Kate Daniels series.  I will definitely check it out.

I'm gonna need a bigger bookcase...

Female versus male writers do have different strength and weaknesses.  But IMO I don't think its as noticable in UF a say military Sci-Fi.  At least it isn't, so long as the book isn't a paranormal romance in disguise!

Regardless Ilona Andrews is a husband/wife writing team.  So they can nail the male/female character differences better and the Kate Daniels Series is definitely UF.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)