Author Topic: Help! Character Creation Concept Help.  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Kyrin Lightbringer

• Conversationalist
  • Kyrin Tabharthóir Tsolais
    • View Profile
Help! Character Creation Concept Help.
« on: December 19, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
First off I will start off with saying(and i hope that this doesn't constitute any type of spoiler) this is in no way based off of a certain character from changes. I actually had this idea when this system first came out but have never made him because I don't have a group to play with. Now that that's been said on to the concept.

Ok I have a fairly good idea of what I want to build just not really sure how to go about it I.E. what's feasible, what I'll have to compromise on and what I'll have to sacrifice. I'll do little bits and pieces so no one runs away with this idea from where I'm trying to take him.

First off he will be a sword fighter who doesn't ever use guns(some funny Aspect like Brings a Knife to a Gun Fight). Most likely a Japanese Katana (possible Item of Power route if I can get away with it). Stealthy Hunter type preferable but can also go the Jump Head First route if need be.

Now that you have a basis for where I want to start lets get to the tricky part. He will be a magic user but not in the way of most so possibly more of a Focused Practitioner than a Minor Talent. He will internalize magic to up his melee prowess and capabilities I.E. Air to make him faster, Earth to harden his skin etc. Maybe some form of Channeling? This is where I'm getting a bit lost. Any thoughts? Template? Is this even possible? Well obviously it is because of that
(click to show/hide)
. I'll leave out the rest for now lets just start with this.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:27:24 AM by Kyrin Lightbringer »
Insanity is a disease that I enjoy spreading.....lasciviously.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Character Creation Concept Help.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »
I wrote a power for things like this after Ghost Story came out.

I think that this is about the fifth time I've recommended it to someone.

MAGICAL SELF-ENHANCEMENT [+varies]
Description: Many supernatural abilities can be mimicked through an application of spellcasting. But that requires specialization, of the sort that this power represents.
Musts: A character must possess the Evocation, Channeling, and/or Sponsored Magic powers in order to use this one. Other powers to link this power to are also required.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Effects:
Limited Powers. When you take this power, you must select at least one other supernatural power that you possess. Which powers may be selected with this power is a matter of the GM's discretion. The selected powers are disabled, and the character gets a rebate equal to one-third of the powers' total cost.
Magical Self-Enhancement. This power allows the user to grant themselves access to the selected powers through evocation. Such evocations may be of any element that makes sense, and they may be offensive or defensive. The power required of an evocation that grants powers is equal to the total refresh cost of the granted powers plus the intended duration. The user may extend this effect using the normal rules for the extension of evocation, and they may choose to grant themselves only a few of the selected powers. This also allows them to grant lesser versions of the selected powers. For example, a character who had selected Supernatural Strength and Inhuman Speed with this power may grant themselves Inhuman Strength for 5 exchanges with a 7-shift evocation.
Magical Enhancement [-varies]. This option removes the rebate from Magical Self-Enhancement, making the total cost of the power 0. In exchange, it gives the user the ability to cast power-granting evocations on other characters. Please note that these evocations cannot be zone-wide.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:21:09 AM »
Yeah thats pretty darn close. Ok I'm still a bit confused about a few points but feel free to ignore me or tell me to "READ A BOOK" as Mr. Handy(The Tick) might say. So I'm looking at probably superhuman speed and toughness. I could probably do without strength and recovery if I had to as that might be a bit overkill? So would you go with Channeling twice(for Earth and Air I suppose) or Evocation with Refinement? I must admit I'm not completely sure how this all works.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
An easy way to go about this might be to take the Modular Abilities power (YS 177).  It a "shapeshifting" ability that allows you to pre-pay a number of refresh points.  Then, you can take a full action to assign or re-assign those refresh points on abilities from Creature Features, certain Minor Abilities, Speed, Strength, Toughness, etc.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:07:03 PM by Pbartender »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:45 PM »
You can take whatever physical powers you like (as long as the GM agrees). They're roughly balanced against one another, so there are no stupid choices.

You can't take Channelling twice though, and you shouldn't want to. Evocation is better in every way.

Does that help?

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 12:26:43 AM »
I just woke up but I think so? I'll have to look at it again in a little bit. To be completely honest some of the character creation aspects confuse me.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
While I really like magical self-enhancement, I thought I'd mention that you could also just take those powers (strength, toughness and speed) and simply use your spellcasting as an excuse. This would be comparable to Billy and the Alphas, who have Beast change, but according to Bob are just focused spellcasters.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 02:51:11 AM »
sinker speaks truth.

Anyway, if you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask them.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
So your saying that since I wouldn't(most likely) cast spells normally I could take the supernatural abilities and claim them though my inherent internalized magic?

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 02:58:50 AM »
So your saying that since I wouldn't(most likely) cast spells normally I could take the supernatural abilities and claim them though my inherent internalized magic?
Yup, that's what they're saying.Makes for interesting character flavor, if you make sure an aspect or two point to possible compell-able issues (Like "Weakened By Thresholds" or "Boy, Running Water Saps My Strength") to reflect the Spell-centric nature of the powers.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 03:09:37 AM »
Hmm...But then I'd start out with at a bare minimum -8 or 10 which i can't do as a pc...how can i make this a bit more manageable?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 03:18:14 AM »
I don't understand the problem.

Could you please explain?

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 03:25:31 AM »
I'll try. Ok if my character concept is that due to my internalization of magic (as opposed to externalization which would be normal spell slinging) I gain the abilities of hardened skin(natural armor) and greater strength(earth), faster speed and reflexes(air), heightened awareness(spirit) due to my affinity for those elements. But if i took the abilities such as inhuman speed, strength and toughness that would automatically be a -6 refresh rate and thats a little low ability wise anyway. Am I understanding how to do this right?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 03:33:28 AM »
Yes, you are.

But what's the problem? Surely you can afford 6 refresh worth of powers, especially with all the rebates available. (The Catch, Human Form, Magical Self-Enhancement, and an Item Of Power would all seem fitting.)

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 03:36:30 AM »
AH HA! Thats where I'm losing it. REBATES! ok please explain them.