Author Topic: Noob Questions Revisited  (Read 8407 times)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
Re: Noob Questions Revisited
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 01:22:30 AM »
Another one (And this will redefine my Noobishness):

If Armor equals or exceeds an incoming attack's weapon rating, do excess shifts from the attack roll still cause stress?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 01:38:36 AM »
Yup

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 02:46:46 AM »
Otherwise punches would never hurt, since the minimum armour value is 0.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 05:30:49 AM »
Yes. Absolutely, positively, yes.

Though the difference between armour and weapon is subtracted from the excess shifts.

So an accuracy 4 weapon 0 attack against defense 0 armour 3 inflicts 1 stress.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 08:10:15 PM »
More Noob-ness...

Could a Necromancer take a person's soul and place it, instead of into their actual body, into a Construct, effectively giving it a fully working body temporarily? If so, would it retain/regain its sentience?
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »
Mechanically really any sort of spellcaster could probably do it. I'm not sure if it's technically necromancy unless the person is dead. If they aren't dead it's definitely second lawbreaking though. You'd make your summoning/creation ritual to create whatever golem you want. I think we have a thread around here for that very purpose.

From a thematic standpoint I have no idea. There really is no precedent whatsoever for that kind of thing. Usually a necromancer uses the body because it's an easy link to the soul, however we do have necromancers that don't use the body at all, so it seems to me that there have to be other ways to do it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 11:34:11 PM »
Not answerable. The rules do not specify what magic is capable of.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 12:11:47 AM »
Could a Necromancer take a person's soul and place it, instead of into their actual body, into a Construct, effectively giving it a fully working body temporarily? If so, would it retain/regain its sentience?
Going from the stories and sidebars, yes and yes.  (Bob is the example and the sidebar author.)  That said, there is some debate on exactly what Bob was before being bound to a skull.  As always, game mechanics / capability are dependent on the table.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Anher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »
Going from the stories and sidebars, yes and yes.  (Bob is the example and the sidebar author.)  That said, there is some debate on exactly what Bob was before being bound to a skull.  As always, game mechanics / capability are dependent on the table.

From what I recall Bob has been referred to as a spirit, and thus without a mortal body. Which would imply he would have had to build one for use outside the NeverNever. Also from everything I remember Bob was willing to inhabit the skull in order to avoid the consequences of some action.

That being said I could see it being possible for a spellcaster to do that, but that would be something each group could decide on their own.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
From what I recall Bob has been referred to as a spirit, and thus without a mortal body. Which would imply he would have had to build one for use outside the NeverNever. Also from everything I remember Bob was willing to inhabit the skull in order to avoid the consequences of some action.

That being said I could see it being possible for a spellcaster to do that, but that would be something each group could decide on their own.
Bob alludes to having taken a Concession rather than being taken out, leading to his dwelling in a skull.

And I do understand the "If the table agrees" caveats, but it kinda ruins the surprise to consult them before someone your players knew was dead starts showing up.
www.savethevillain.com

Offline Anher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 08:59:27 PM »
And I do understand the "If the table agrees" caveats, but it kinda ruins the surprise to consult them before someone your players knew was dead starts showing up.

Ah, I was under the impression you were asking as a player. If you're the one running the game that tactic is certainly within your domain to okay, just keep in mind the players may want to do it too at a later point.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 07:51:55 PM »
Could single-target "Mesmerism" be represented by a "flavor" of Incite Emotion?
Concept: Hypnotic-eyed Naga, looks you in the eyes and puts a Block against attacking or movement, or places a "Mesmerized" aspect that can be tagged/invoked for effect. It sounds like it could be a kosher reskin of Incite Emotion, but what do you guys think?

Oh, and I'd also like opinions on a similar possible reskin, that represents temporarily causing insanity.
Thanks!
www.savethevillain.com

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »
Could single-target "Mesmerism" be represented by a "flavor" of Incite Emotion?
Concept: Hypnotic-eyed Naga, looks you in the eyes and puts a Block against attacking or movement, or places a "Mesmerized" aspect that can be tagged/invoked for effect. It sounds like it could be a kosher reskin of Incite Emotion, but what do you guys think?

Oh, and I'd also like opinions on a similar possible reskin, that represents temporarily causing insanity.

I'm wondering if Incite Emotion should or could plausibly be retitled/reskinned as "Incite Effect."

That said, I think both of those things are plausible.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 08:25:11 PM »
The biggest thing that I would worry about with either of those effects is are they more appropriate for maneuvered aspects, or consequences. Mainly the difference being that maneuvered aspects should plausibly be able to be shaken with a few seconds of effort (I.E. a counter-maneuver) and a consequence takes a fair amount of time and effort to remove.

So if you feel like either of those effects could justifiably be removed with a couple second's effort then you're all good.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »
Sure, why not.

No balance problems, no thematic weirdness, no odd corner cases created, go for it.