Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 3115 times)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
Transformers
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:36:34 PM »
OK, I'm looking at the Margin text between Harry & Billy, and I  read:
Quote from: YS283
(Harry's Text) Billy, I’m thinking about the transforming stuff on the previous page. What does it take to transform yourself into a form with new powers? Or someone else for that matter?

(Billy's Text) The simplest answer is that transforming a target is like killing a target, with the taken out result being that they come back in a new form with different powers (that they have to pay refresh points for). Transforming yourself is either about producing a temporary, short-term, specific spell-effect with an obvious shift cost, or it’s about acquiring new powers with spent refresh (or temporarily—see page 92—using fate points and tags)

Which lead me to the temporary Powers rules, which say:

Quote from: YS92
In  rare  circumstances,  it might  be  appropriate for a character to temporarily take on supernatural powers. Usually, this happens when a supernatural entity imbues someone with  power  for  a  short  time  in  order  to take on  a  threat or  fulfill  some part of  its agendas. (Murphy taking up a Sword of the Cross temporarily in the Small Favor case might be a good example of this.)
Regardless of the circumstances, temporary  powers  should  be  dealt  with  in  a similar  fashion  to  mid-session  upgrades, but with less cost—the player has to spend fate points equal to the power’s usual cost, but not permanent refresh. As with normal mid-session upgrades,  the player can “owe” the GM some compels if there aren’t enough fate points to pay for it.
Once  again,  this  should  only  happen under  rare circumstances, and  the benefits shouldn’t  last  longer  than  a  scene—most things  that  can  bestow  power  only  do  so temporarily, when the situation is extremely dire,  and  when  there  isn’t  really  another option.

Would a Houserule (Or GM Allowance) be required for a Thaumaturgist transforming himself to bestow a power that lasts longer than a scene? As-is it sounds like you are forced to cast the spell right before a conflict, or it'll be wasted on the scene right after casting.

Also, could a variation of the "Thaumaturgical trap" be used, wherein the caster sets himself up with a power that doesn't manifest until some pre-determined thing happens(like he is injured)?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Transformers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:44:01 PM »
You could increase the duration of the thaumaturgic ritual to have the potential to use it last longer than a scene. You could also pre-pay the Fate Points for multiple scenes worth of using that power.

Adding a "trigger" would be about 2 shifts, going roughly by the example of how wards and wardflames work.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:01:43 AM »
One thing I'd suggest is, when possible, running transformational spells as collections of aspects rather than Powers.  This doesn't always work - particularly with respect to combat - but it lets you easily adjudicate a turn-yourself-into-a-bear spell that's meant to just provide a bonus to intimidate, or a bonus to a might check to move a boulder, or other minor stuff like that.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 03:57:52 AM »
There is something to be said for papering oneself with a bunch of copies of the Aspect "I'm a Bear."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:09:26 AM »
Now I have a mental picture of a wizard covered in post-its that say "I'm a bear" on them.

It won't go away.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 04:16:43 AM »
Now I have a mental picture of a wizard covered in post-its that say "I'm a bear" on them.

It won't go away.
Would that be beaurocramancy? Reality through paperwork?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 04:38:08 AM »
There is something to be said for papering oneself with a bunch of copies of the Aspect "I'm a Bear."
That's actually not a very effective model, to be honest.  Since you can only tag a given aspect once per roll.  Much better to have a tag or two on "I'm a Bear", and a tag or two on "Hulking Monster", and a tag or two on "Faster Than You'd Think", and... etc.

It won't go away.
Thank you.  Now I have that image too.  >.<

Would that be beaurocramancy? Reality through paperwork?
Piffle.  It's clearly bearocromancy.  Reality through paperwork involving bears.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 05:12:51 AM »
One thing (maybe the main thing) I love about this game is that character creation is really easy and fun. I'd never dream of doing what I'm doing here on a D&D forum.

Bearomancer (On The Beach)

High Concept: Bearomancer
Other Aspects: Bear-Based Paperwork Is The Answer To Everything, Oh My God That's The Worst Pun I've Ever Heard
Skills:
Good: Lore, Discipline
Fair: Might, Fists, Survival
Average: Endurance, Conviction, Alertness
Powers:
Echoes Of The Beast (Bear) [-1]
Ritual (Bearomancy) [-2]
Magic:
Foci: Pen (+1 bearomancy control)
Enchanted Items: Post-It Note (4 shift maneuver, creates sticky "I'm A Bear" aspect on a character. 1 use/session.)
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Feel free to steal this for your games.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 06:03:19 AM »
One thing (maybe the main thing) I love about this game is that character creation is really easy and fun. I'd never dream of doing what I'm doing here on a D&D forum.

Bearomancer (On The Beach)

High Concept: Bearomancer
Other Aspects: Bear-Based Paperwork Is The Answer To Everything, Oh My God That's The Worst Pun I've Ever Heard
Skills:
Good: Lore, Discipline
Fair: Might, Fists, Survival
Average: Endurance, Conviction, Alertness
Powers:
Echoes Of The Beast (Bear) [-1]
Ritual (Bearomancy) [-2]
Magic:
Foci: Pen (+1 bearomancy control)
Enchanted Items: Post-It Note (4 shift maneuver, creates sticky "I'm A Bear" aspect on a character. 1 use/session.)
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Feel free to steal this for your games.

Screw bearomancer, how about a beeromancer like Mac?
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 02:46:12 PM »
That's it: I'm bringing Post-It's to the Dresden LARP I am running on Friday. Wonderful suggestion! Heck, Post-It's could be a good Aspect-tracking tool in a tabletop game, too.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:39:05 PM »
All joking aside, it might actually be a good idea.

Let us know how it works out.

Beeromancer (On The Beach)

High Concept: Beeromancer
Other Aspects: Beer Is The Answer To Everything, Oh My God That's The Second-Worst Pun I've Ever Heard
Skills:
Good: Lore, Performance
Fair: Empathy, Discipline
Average: Endurance, Conviction, Rapport, Contacts, Resources
Stunts:
Beeromancy (Performance): +2 to brew and serve beers.
Powers:
Ritual (Beeromancy) [-2]
Magic:
Enchanted Items: Keg of Magic Beer (4-shift maneuver, creates aspects reflecting intoxication and enjoyment, 5 uses/session.)
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 01:24:46 AM »
Hrm, I can't help thinking it might be better to have Crafting in Performance's place for making mundane beer but this is definitely going in game.

Would a BBQ focused practitioner be a Barbomancer or Carnomancer do you think?  Going with a KC setting for an upcoming campaign and it could prove relevant what with some of the silly buggers I play with.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
The more I go back to read the rules, the more I think that a lot of specific jobs and hobbies are best reflected by using Stunts.

Performance has the same super-competency risks as Craftsmanship, so people who buy up either of those just to be good at a particular niche thing (like brewing beer, or making cakes), however cool and respected that thing may be, is by the RAW also has many other associative competencies (the large-scale brewer who uses Craftsmanship could also repair cars; the award-winning chef can also create art and/or perform ballet.)

Buying Craftsmanship or Performance at a rank of 1 and then buying Stunts to build them would seem to minimize the associative competency phenomenon. And, if you want your beeromancer to also be good at performance art and poetry, then buy up that Perform skill!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 01:46:24 AM »
Carnomancer sounds better to me.

As for Craftsmanship vs Performance for cooking, look here:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,28081.msg1199312.html#msg1199312

The super-competency thing isn't quite as bad with Performance as it is with Craftsmanship, since the book recommends limiting characters to a number of fields approximately equal to their Performance skills.

The problem is still there, but it's not as bad. The Superb poet might also be a Superb author, painter, singer, and cook, but at least he's not an especially good dancer.

That's one reason I prefer Performance for Cooking, by the way. The skill has less baggage.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »
The more I go back to read the rules, the more I think that a lot of specific jobs and hobbies are best reflected by using Stunts.

Performance has the same super-competency risks as Craftsmanship, so people who buy up either of those just to be good at a particular niche thing (like brewing beer, or making cakes), however cool and respected that thing may be, is by the RAW also has many other associative competencies (the large-scale brewer who uses Craftsmanship could also repair cars; the award-winning chef can also create art and/or perform ballet.)

Buying Craftsmanship or Performance at a rank of 1 and then buying Stunts to build them would seem to minimize the associative competency phenomenon. And, if you want your beeromancer to also be good at performance art and poetry, then buy up that Perform skill!

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right on the stunts line.  It seems like it should cost refresh to become an uber-mechanic or master beeromancer the same as it should to become a SC level wizard.