Author Topic: Evocator (no thaumaturgy) needs wards...  (Read 3640 times)

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Evocator (no thaumaturgy) needs wards...
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
Ok- so my new gaming group (me as player) has a number of magic users, all focused practitioners, pretty much... I'm an evocator (no ritual/thaum), and we have a couple ritualists (a crafter who self-limited himself to potions and a conjuror)... which means.... no wards.

But after Ghost Story,
(click to show/hide)
, I wondered if there might be some way my character could hodge-podge some stuff together along those lines.

He has a +4 lore, +2 resources (could be better, but it's hella better than harry's sheet usually has), and works for Monoc Securities... I think that gives me the access and excuse enough to pull off some stuff along those lines... but my question is... what, and how would our GM handle it?

So far, all I've got is that I, as a player, would have to come up with each individual proofing (and some supernatural stuffs won't have any), and make a Lore roll -hindered by resources- to see if I can pull it off (lore to see if I know about that particular thing, resources to see if I can afford to make it happen)... and treat it as a declaration on the space.

I could also use some suggestions for things that might work to make a home that's... not necessarily proof against the supernatural, but remarkably hostile to them.
So far, I've got:
GS:
(click to show/hide)
Iron furniture/door/doorknobs etc for fae.
Possibly renting from a rectory to ward off vamps.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Evocator (no thaumaturgy) needs wards...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:00:24 AM »
The beautiful thing about how the Dresden world is built is, that most things that can be done by magic can be done in a mundane fashion. They might be costly, they might be limited in the way they work, but they work.

I would possibly treat it as a "mundane ritual" using craftsmanship. You can set up aspects as usual, but some aspects you just will need (you cant paint a room with ghost dust by imagining ghost dust). If you get your ghost dust aspects by contacts, resources or burglary is irrelevant, as long as you get it. Lore could be used to make a "special mixture" aspect. Shifts of the ritual would be distributed between ward strength and duration, exactly like a magical ward. Craftsmanship as the skill, because someone who is not that skilled might leave spots with very thin paint, leave an edge without paint, etc.. You could even create the aspects and then hire a painter and use his craftsmanship skill, which would absolutely not work with magic.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:02:22 AM »
It's probably not something an evoker can accomplish, but your ritualists may be able to do something...they'll simply need to tailor it to their brand of thaumaturgy. 
(click to show/hide)

But the conjurer could create conjured traps and the alchemist / enchanter could create a variety of useful items.  Possibly even the one you mentioned...though I suspect that may be expensive for anyone without the related specialty in thaumaturgy.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 01:07:11 AM »
To be honest that particular example seems like a ritualist using ritual to do things within his baliwick, so I don't get the comparison.

I could see someone with the right connections using resources or contacts to ghost proof (or fey proof, etc) a room, however I would be inclined to have them plan that out in advance and/or give me a good reason for it. So I wouldn't allow someone to say "My character that had no association with the Fomor has Fomor-proofed his house" (I know, they have similar weaknesses), but an ectomancer ghost-proofing his place, or a Wizard warding his house against RCVs makes sense.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:28:47 AM »
True enough- it is precisely within his baliwick- and most likely represents that...
I was under the impression though that ghost dust was less about mystical crafting and more about contents- that it wasn't an imbued substance, but a material that was simply anathema to the ghosts... like iron is to fae, or holy objects to... well, a lot.
Even if it is more mystically imbued, no reason someone with a ghost problem couldn't pay an ectomancer to paint his house.

More or less, I'm talking about the kind of stuff a normal mortal could conceivably do to make his residence as hostile as possible to the supernatural.
After all, working for Monoc, I'd have the access, and I'd certainly have earned some supernatural enemies (superpowered blackwater, anyone?).
Thresholds go a long way for most, but my character's definitely a bachelor, and moved around a lot for Monoc.

Roxy Rocket

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 02:30:31 AM »
I think the most mortal of all mortal solutions is the best: Buy it. Ghost dust, someone to build wards on your threshold and so on work fine. But let's explore some options here.

Be Sneaky
Marcone has a magic circle handy and the 'Magical equivalent of a nine-volt battery' to power it and protect himself. If I needed a place to live, I might find a good family who would rent me their basement apartment, then do a few things to insinuate myself like help the kids with their math homewalk or for Harry: shovel the walk.

Think Like A Mortal
Why build magical landmines when the real thing will do the job? Wire them to a box in the house. If the box is giving the landmines a signal, they're dormant. If it stops, they arm. You turn the box off when you get in. Faeries and Fomor would not enjoy chicken wire, let alone razor wire. If they burst through your plaster wall and got themselves tangled in a barbed steel net you'd have made your point.

Practical Choices
Why build walls that just announce 'I'm Thiiiiiiis Tasty?' Be invisible. Build a camouflage that leaves no trace of your ultimate goal, a mundane, boring camouflage. Things can't drag you screaming into the night if they can't find you or identify you.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 07:04:55 AM »
If you want a Ward around your home or home base and no one in the group has Ritual (Wards), Thaumaturgy, or Sponsored Magic, then you need to have someone else create the Ward, and use keyed tokens which would allow the people keyed to the tokens to bypass the Ward.  Making it somewhat more complicated is that a Ward would still need to be periodically renewed as they do fade with time.

Now, the Contacts, Presence and Resources skills could all play a role in getting someone else to cast a Ward for you.  Without finding someone to cast the Ward, convincing them to actually do it, and paying them (either in cash, kind, or  a favor) to cast the Ward, then the Evocator wouldn't have a Ward. 

There are a number of non-Warding countermeasures which you can take, probably the easiest and most practical would be have pre-arranged, inlaid metal circles in the different rooms, so that they can be activated if/when ever needed.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 09:10:34 AM »
Aye- I'm mostly looking for ward-substitutes... Not actual wards. I'll have to check with the gm to see if the paranet is around yet in our timeframe, maybe I could look into hiring them if I settle in anywhere long-term enough to be worth it... But the character's mood is a bit on the mercenary side to be so rooted: Hence the want for physical fortifications that... Discourage supernatural invasion.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 09:23:57 AM »
On a bit of a side-note: I know Ghost Dust is nasty for ghosts, but in the description it does say:
Notes: It satisfies the Catch on a ghost’s Physical
Immunity; however, in order to work in the
mortal realm, the ghost must acknowledge
the wielder’s presence first.

So, good luck painting your walls with that... Oh, and also, the depleted uranium part, but that's a bit besides the point, because it only works in certain circumstances. If the ghost simply wants to manifest within your walls, it could, because, if I am correct, Ghost Dust doesn't exist on both the mortal realm and the Nevernever simultaneously. Harry had to take it with him into the ghost's demesne for it to work there (and it was even more real and heavy for him and more detrimental to the ghost.

Before you blast me for being wrong though, I haven't read the spoilers or Ghost Story yet! So if I am wrong, tell me so and allow to wait for my copy of Ghost Story... *sobs*

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 09:35:01 AM »
I refuse to spoil anything... But even if you are right, I don't so much care about stopping ghosts that haven't acknowledged me from entering my home... If they haven't acknowledged me, they clearly can't mean me any harm.

Enjoy GS when you get it. It's not much of a spoiler, but ghost dust does come up (I know, shocker, given the book's title, right?) Ana there are non-radioactive versions apparently that may or may not need acknowledgement (that's unclear from the scene in question).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
There was a thread a while ago about whether or not a house built by a man for his True Love would hurt Raiths. Some people thought that it touching it would hurt them.

Not exactly a practical defensive measure, but it could be interesting and amusing.

Also, magical circles are easy to make. You could put one under every carpet.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 02:18:43 AM »
Also, magical circles are easy to make. You could put one under every carpet.

Wouldn't the carpet break the metaphysical circle? I think I remember Harry warning someone about reaching into/towards a circle or something, because breaking the plane of the circle disrupts its power.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 02:21:04 AM »
Wouldn't the carpet break the metaphysical circle? I think I remember Harry warning someone about reaching into/towards a circle or something, because breaking the plane of the circle disrupts its power.

I think so, too. However, you could keep them under there and if need be, you put the carpet aside, stand in the circle and touch it with your blood to will it to life. Certainly sturdier than a chalk circle and probably quicker, too.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 03:05:51 AM »
I'd look into folk-lore for ideas.  Didn't people hang garlic over their doors to ward off vampires/spirits?  What about lines of salt?  Things like that should have some kind of value in the game.  Maybe just an aspect to tag when things try to get over your threshold.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 04:35:06 AM »
for circles, I simply thought of having a floor pattern where the circles blend in... marble, say, with various rings of marble inset (of various sizes, most broken by others, but quite a few scattered around, unbroken)... maybe expensive, but stealth, and always one available in arm's reach.

I'm also fairly familiar with various folklore type stuffs, but implementing such in a way that's not too obvious is the goal, and where the hard comes in. I love the steel chicken wire in the drywall... that's perfectly in line with what I'm looking for.