Author Topic: Banking Character Gen Skill Points?  (Read 5587 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Banking Character Gen Skill Points?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 11:25:26 PM »
I dislike the notion that you can only do thing directly stated in the rules fate isn't DnD where everything is rigidly defined, if the rules do not mention something it dose not mean it should automatically be dis-allowed. Gaps in the rules are in fate all ways the province of GM's and their style of play but it is still wrong to say banking skill points at CG is illegal by the raw as it is never prohibited you can only say that your interpretation of the spirit/ text of the raw implies the prohibition of banking CG points. 
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
I dislike the notion that you can only do thing directly stated in the rules fate isn't DnD where everything is rigidly defined, if the rules do not mention something it dose not mean it should automatically be dis-allowed.
I agree.

Luckily, DFRPG is one of those rare games were, by "RAW", "intent precedes mechanics".  (YS308 under Adjudicating the Rules)

The full quote is "The guiding principle for all uses of the rules in this game is that intent precedes mechanics."  The book's emphasis, not mine.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 01:11:20 AM »
My advice Mr. Ways is that if your group thinks that it is fair, go ahead and just bank the skill points. There aren't going to be any Dresden police that smash through your windows because you tweaked the rules.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 01:27:54 AM »
I like the idea of allowing characters to bank skill points toward a specific goal skill (presumeably one that can't currently be legally added to their skill columns).  This has the advantage of allowing players to 'save up' for a skill that would otherwise require many painful swaps to eventually add to their skill columns while at the same time avoiding situations in which, say, a level 5 skill appears as needed from the blue.  Basically, all skill points are 'spent' at any point in time, but some skill points aren't 'available for use' because there isn't currently a legal place for them in the skill column.

For an example of how this might work in action, see my post here.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
My advice Mr. Ways is that if your group thinks that it is fair, go ahead and just bank the skill points. There aren't going to be any Dresden police that smash through your windows because you tweaked the rules.

You're right, of course. They would hire Kincaid to snipe your books from a mile away! Bwahaha!

*AHEM*

I now return you to your regularly scheduled post.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog