Author Topic: Forgetting skills.  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
Re: Forgetting skills.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »
So basically, you want to get stronger, but not make an effort out of it? Just swap out Stealth and Contacts for more concept-fitting skills at milestones and up your skills the normal way. Just because he got his arse handed to him, doesn't automatically make him more in control of himself of more sure of himself.

That means it's up to you and the GM to decide how to handle this. I don't know how long this game has been running, or how experienced you are with DFRPG, but if your character has only a few sessions under his belt, it is easier to justify, then when he has had a major milestone. Secondly, if you have experience with creating DFRPG characters, then you might expect less forgiveness from a GM.

The reason I think like this, is that you must have had some ideas as to why your character 'needed' Stealth or Contacts and now it seems you just decided you want to lose them to become more powerful without effort. Mind you, I say it seems like this, from your posts. It is a feeling and it might be wrong.

As an aside, I believe you meant page 91 about totally revising a character. If you want to do that, why not simply ask your GM that? Finally, just say you got a rather powerful bump on the head and you no longer have the ability for subtlety anymore, losing both skulking and friends because of that...

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
  • I use this for magical purposes. Honestly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »
Its better to have skills than to do not. If you don't use powers or stunts, the very least you can get fate points per refresh.

With skills you either wait like 5 milestones to get a +5 or simply rewrite them bit by bit.

We played sort of 8 sessions or more so far, and I have always assumed that you could re-arrange skillpoints this way.
Frank Power: Picture
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."
Aspects: "Modern-day Gladiator.", "Authority p

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
Getting rid of two level 1's to increase two different higher level skills... i don't think i'd allow that.

What i might allow under certain circumstances is to take two +1 skills, get rid of one of them, and then increase the second skill to +2. And only at that low level. No getting rid of a +1 to increase a +2 to a +3 or something like that.

But even that would require some kind of solid plot justification, and a significant milestone where it would use up the minor milestone benefit.

Under the "new Character" rule anything is possible of course, but that's really up to your gametable.

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 03:20:26 PM »
I would be glad to sell a +1 for each minor milestone or higher, and use one milestone to add the points.

I told you the "event". I was shot by the knight of summer who has a sniper build, then went through the trials to be come a white wizard, which i did.

I would increase conviction and discipline by 1 point each and selling Stealth and Contacts.
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »
I don't know what else to say.
I would not allow the modification you are describing.
But in the end it's up to your Group/GM to rule on this.

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »
And the DM is loling I am at his mercy xD

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »
Wait, why not allow this?

I really don't see the problem.

Then again, I'm generally pretty powergaming-friendly.

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 08:59:27 PM »
actually what is powergamy about this?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 09:00:17 PM »
I would (and have) allowed it, but if it isn't RAW then it's GM generosity, which the OP can't rely upon.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »
@devonapple: Point. But I don't see why the GM wouldn't be generous here.

@Discipol: Well, getting the max number of peak skills is usually optimal. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine. I'm a little mystified.

But Tsunami is a reasonable guy and a good player in my experience, so I expect he has a good reason.

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »
Sure, but just because they forgot to mention buyback, doesn't mean its against the principle. Plus the principle that a human is ever changing is mentioned and well.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 09:23:45 PM »
@devonapple: Point. But I don't see why the GM wouldn't be generous here.

I don't know, either, but per the OP, the GM is opting to disallow the proposed switch without a sustaining RAW citation.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
Its completely legal. Everybody has *every* skill by default, just at 0. Which means moving one point from a 1 point skill (making a 0 point skill) into something else is legal.

If you truly didn't have a rating in a skill you wouldn't be able to roll it as just 4dF.

-edit-

And it isn't all that hard to justify. For example moving Endurance 1 to Endurance 0 would be easy (I stopped working out and had too many cheetos).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:36:18 PM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 09:46:15 PM »
As Koffee reiterates, changing skills is legal.  That was actually covered in the first few posts...including a quote from the text.

To point it out again, Minor Milestones allow "Switch the rank values of any two skills, or replace one Average skill with one that isn’t on your sheet."

Between the two, you can move skills up or down and on or off your character sheet.  That said, it will take time.  You're typically limited to changing two skills each milestone and the skill need to be close in value.  You also need to maintain the skill pyramid.  But work at it long enough and you can forget your strongest skill.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »
Between the two, you can move skills up or down and on or off your character sheet.  That said, it will take time.  You're typically limited to changing two skills each milestone and the skill need to be close in value.  You also need to maintain the skill pyramid.  But work at it long enough and you can forget your strongest skill.

Exactly. The OP just wants to conflate several of these shifts at once rather than across a few Milestones.