Author Topic: What Happens When A Fairie Reaches Positive Refresh?  (Read 3594 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
What Happens When A Fairie Reaches Positive Refresh?
« on: July 11, 2011, 03:31:15 PM »
I have a fey NPC in my game that is currently at 0 refresh, but we're about to hit a major milestone, and she's been significantly involved, so giving her the point of refresh feels appropriate.  I'm not sure what to do with it, though: would she gain an element of free will if she hit positive refresh, or, being a fairie, is she contractually obligated to have negative refresh and would thus just spend the point on stunts or powers and grow that way?

Thoughts?
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What Happens When A Fairie Reaches Positive Refresh?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:34:08 PM »
Mechanics aside (and sorry if this is a trite answer for you) but what's better and more interesting for your story?

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 03:53:56 PM »
Much of the time, I'd say that they get enough powers to buy them into no Refresh land. This is why many of the ancient and powerful faeries are just as bound by their nature as a pixie.

On the other hand, maybe something strange happens. Maybe -- just maybe -- one day the faerie finds itself with some free will. Maybe it finds itself capable of making choices on its own, things that defy its nature.

I go with the latter for the possibility of PC faeries. I know that the rules don't exactly support that, but I like faeries. So neaner neaner to the rules.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
Mechanics aside (and sorry if this is a trite answer for you) but what's better and more interesting for your story?

I like this answer, and at the same time I'd say... gaining a measure of free will is pretty neat. And would probably bring him/her all sorts of follow-up trouble and interesting situations to further embroil the PCs.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »
As a rule of thumb I would say PCs get refresh, NPCs get powers. However, if you have a player that wants to pick up the character, go for it.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:15:54 PM »
I'll start with agreeing with MyNinja; go with whatever's better for your story.  That said, here are some things to think about:

We've got, from the novels, an example of a fae going free-willed: Aurora.  It wasn't a pretty result.  On the other hand, a lesser fae, with lesser powers and responsibilities, is probably less likely to go all apocalyptic on your players.  Still, this could be a great excuse to add 1x really crazy fae to your game - with a trouble aspect like: "What do I do with this 'free will' thing?"

We've also got, scattered throughout the novels, a number of examples of the powers of Names.  Have any of your PCs given this fae a name?  (Nicknames count for this.)  If so, giving her some measure of free will is probably appropriate - and should, by and large, play out to that PCs advantage.

On the other hand, consider Toot-Toot's rise to power.  I don't think he's picked up free will along the way, but he's certainly greater than he was; if the events in your game would logically have given this fae some degree of greater metaphysical influence, giving her more power(s) is certainly appropriate.  What power depends a lot on the events that lead to that milestone; knowing nothing, I'd suggest looking at Demesne or Supernatural Senses - but I'd need more info to come up with anything resembling a solid recommendation.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
The fey in question is Tylia, a wyldfae nymph (exiled from Summer due to an offense to Titania a few centuries back).  A few decades back, a focused practitioner-binder managed to catch her and bind her to his will; as a result, she spent the last 20+ years as the concubine/maid/cook/etc to this scumbag (and gaining a great deal of familiarity with household "ferromancy" in the process). 

Now the PCs enter the picture; one of them, Gene, is dating the local Summer representative, a nymph named Melia.  The PCs do what PCs do, and become annoying, so, the scumbag executes a series of distractions at the PCs, tailored to keep them occupied while he gets his plans finished (it worked, btw).   Gene's distraction is Tylia-in-a-box.  A large package is dropped off at his younger brother's apartment, where all of the Christmas presents are being accumulated, addressed to Gene, CO his brother Fade (Gene and Fade are nicknames; their actual names are pretentious as hell).  Inside the box is an old fashioned steamer trunk.  Inside the trunk is a Tylia whose memories of the last 20 years have been carefully removed.  On the trunk itself is an enchantment that'll transfer the slavery-binding on Tylia to the first person who opens it.

If Gene had opened it, and Tylia had made him her master, that would have disrupted his relationship with Melia wonderfully (Her being the official Summer rep for the region, and Tylia being a Summer exile).  As it was, with a few judicious compels, the younger brother opens it, and finds that he is now the... proud? owner of a beautiful woman. 

After a few months of research, the wizard-PC figures out how to break the slavery-binding, and out of gratitude for his kindness, the debt owed for freeing her, and not really having anywhere else to go except back into the same exile that got her captured in the first place, Tylia decides to stick around and stay with Fade.  Shortly, nature takes its course, and Gene is informed that he's acquiring a sister-in-law and uncle-hood.

The current scenario is the culmination of her personal arc, in a way; the PCs have been tracking down the binder, and have found him; where we ended last session, we were about to start a four-way battle royale, and Tylia is participating on their side--hence the major milestone. 

So, we have a smart, house tech-savvy fey who has more links to the mortal world than the Nevernever and is pretty damn happy to have it that way, is shortly going to be acquiring a sur-name via mortal ritual, and has been dealing with a cautious, smitten young man who had been prefacing most of his statements with "What do you want?" (so as to avoid taking advantage of her while she was under the slavery-binding).

With that context, you can see why I'm considering positive refresh.
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
It's always seemed to me that some of the nature of the fey has to do with the rigidness of the courts and where their place is in all that. As an exile (with a new name, representing ties to humanity and human nature) I could see her gaining a measure of free will. I would keep the no lies thing, because I always saw that as integral to the fey themselves, but she could totally start working for herself, becoming an influential face for your game, perhaps creating her own "court" like someone we know.

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:12:07 AM »
With that context, you can see why I'm considering positive refresh.  -  bibliophile20
Hell, yeah.  Go with the free will.  Apart from suiting Tylia's own story, it's a great result for the PC who made sure not to enslave her, and the wizard (if it's someone else, that's not clear) who worked out how to break the binding.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 01:59:44 AM »
I'm thinking the interesting thing here isn't whether to give her free will or not (free will seems the way to go btw) but how you complicate things for her and those around her afterward. The best story is going to be the one that has the complications that interest you and your players the most. If there's a danger that the free will thing will turn into a happily ever after, I'd say find a reason to skip it or make it temporary.

Fae complications: She runs off with the unborn child and the PCs presumably chase her. Summer gets interested in her again and offers her a task to do if she wants to regain favor (said task somehow complicates the PCs lives during a later plot). Winter thinks she's yummy er... I mean interesting and the PCs presumably don't want to abandon her.

Free will complications: Summer and Winter getting interested in her can be the same but with different complications. She needs to find a way to do the quest for Summer or refuse without insult. Winter's interest can be a bit more predatory if she's got free will. Powerful fae tend to think of her as a curiosity in the songbird-in-a-cage sense. Former rivals show up and complicate her life. Concerned allies in the know recognize her and distrust her nature, possibly taking things into their own hands to bind the fae so she doesn't run off, or trying to chase her away before she harms the PCs.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 05:28:18 AM »
I'd definitely lean towards free will with that kind of setup - though she may not entirely know what to do with it (or realize that she has it).

On the other hand, there are certainly complications; consider for starters the fae inability to lie, plus the fae ability to make binding bargains... in the context of wedding vows.  Be careful what you swear to; it's going to stick.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 05:44:44 AM »
On the other hand, there are certainly complications; consider for starters the fae inability to lie, plus the fae ability to make binding bargains... in the context of wedding vows.  Be careful what you swear to; it's going to stick.

If she's clever she writes her own vows, and I would think she would do that even if she's likes the PCs just to avoid working herself into a corner.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 08:03:35 AM »
One word:

Aurora.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
I'm thinking the interesting thing here isn't whether to give her free will or not (free will seems the way to go btw) but how you complicate things for her and those around her afterward. The best story is going to be the one that has the complications that interest you and your players the most. If there's a danger that the free will thing will turn into a happily ever after, I'd say find a reason to skip it or make it temporary.

Fae complications:

Free will complications:

You're overlooking one category: scumbag complications. *evil grin*
She doesn't remember--the memories were removed--but she bore him two daughters, who are currently in the foster system.  Also, the fellow who did the memory removal--who is also not a friend of the PCs--took the precaution of implanting some triggers in her head (She has the Aspect "Brainwashed, Pressed And Cleaned").  That could lead to some interesting trust issues.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 05:24:15 PM »
On the other hand, there are certainly complications; consider for starters the fae inability to lie, plus the fae ability to make binding bargains...  -  wyvern
Those things could conceivably be a factor of their negative refresh.  A fae with free will might gain the first ability and lose the second, which would set cats among pigeons all by itself.