Author Topic: Scenarios in the style of a DF novel  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Scenarios in the style of a DF novel
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »
I will start up a DFRPG campaign after the summer, and have been thinking a little about what makes a DF-story special, to be able to as good as possible try to copy the concept from the novels. I thought that this could be a good discussion point. If it has already been discussed, please show me the thread. Here is something to start with:

Several threads - Many parallel story elements tend to be active at the same time. At the end, they might merge into one (but not necessarily). In the game, this can be done by letting each character have it’s own side story, and then weave them together midway. I think this is one of the most important key elements.

People are behind – The force behind the opposition is people (or supernatural creatures). We do not see the effects of, for instance, a natural disaster being the main focus of the story arc.

Here and now – Most of the novels are taking place during a short time frame (a few days), and very seldom do we see any significant time jumps (like “three weeks later…”).

Supernatural presence – In all cases, there main threat is of supernatural nature (or related to the supernatural).

In over his head – For the first half or so of the novels, Harry seems to be facing overwhelming opposition or that the problems are too many or too big for him to handle. But after taking several beatings, he does manage to overcome the opposition.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Scenarios in the style of a DF novel
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:04:40 AM »
Sounds good so far. Only thing I can think of to add is that there are often elements of a dime store detective novel thrown in. Beautiful and distressed/distressing damsels. Knowing something is wrong and having a definite path to go down but not really having all the pieces at first.

When running a game, probably the most difficult aspects to do well in a group are mystery and putting PCs in over their heads. Sometimes players just get more gung-ho than they should be or don't leap to the right conclusions when you'd like them to.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:55:26 AM »
Putting PCs over their heads becomes a very delicate situation.  In the novel, Harry is concerned with police, politics, protecting others, and various other things.  PCs tend to just start shooting.  Even if you give them an out with a big neon sign, they likely won't take it.  They'll die.  And yes, if your group does this continuously, you have to kill them so that they learn, but often TPK (or even PPK) is very disruptive to the story and breaks fun for everyone.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:14:59 PM »
Only if 1. the forces opposing them are trying to kill them, and 2. you can't figure out another choice beside killing them when they are taken out. If the baddies have framed them for black magic murders as part of an nefarious plot to rule Los Angeles...

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »
I've had problems even with less than lethal PC defeats. As far as I can tell, players can handle it but often require a heads-up that it's possible. Most seem to walk into any given game with the idea they can defeat anything, it's just a matter of doing it right or being clever enough. This leads to disruption if they're wrong and get mad about it and can mess up your game just as bad if they're right... and you weren't expecting it.

Frankly any player that understands the setting and knows about Titania and Mab and still thinks they're going to Billy Badass their way through any challenge is of questionable sanity... But  that isn't much consolation if your game is still shot.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »
Part of that problem is that most gamers are used to well balanced encounters.  Sometimes they have to be told:
"Just remember, this thing is world class and you're not.  It can probably kill you with a blink.  If combat breaks out it will be the Balrog going one on one with Merry - not the Balrog going one on one with Gandalf.  Splat.  We probably won't need to roll the combat out.   Just something to keep in mind."

And if they want to die - well, the game is about freewill and repercussions.  Maybe the Big Bad will be satisfied with giving an extreme consequence or take the PC out in a non-lethal (but humiliating) way.

Richard

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:28:05 AM »
mabe it's a help to hear from the man himself... jim wrote about his writing style in his livejournal:

http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
mabe it's a help to hear from the man himself... jim wrote about his writing style in his livejournal:

http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/

Thanks for pointing to that!
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »
I will start up a DFRPG campaign after the summer, and have been thinking a little about what makes a DF-story special, to be able to as good as possible try to copy the concept from the novels. I thought that this could be a good discussion point. If it has already been discussed, please show me the thread. Here is something to start with:
I think the system itself covers all of it very well, or at least it puts down the basics for you.

Several threads - Many parallel story elements tend to be active at the same time. At the end, they might merge into one (but not necessarily). In the game, this can be done by letting each character have it’s own side story, and then weave them together midway. I think this is one of the most important key elements.
Every character has it's own trouble aspect you can draw upon for a different part of the story. Plus, you would compel different characters on different aspects anyway, in order to get them involved, which most likely will lead to multiple threads.

People are behind – The force behind the opposition is people (or supernatural creatures). We do not see the effects of, for instance, a natural disaster being the main focus of the story arc.
During city creation, you are putting faces on all of the threats and themes of your city, so anything that pops up will have a face attached to it.

Here and now – Most of the novels are taking place during a short time frame (a few days), and very seldom do we see any significant time jumps (like “three weeks later…”).
Different plots progress at different speed. I admit, the system doesn't say that much about it (as far as I can remember), but I think it said something about an average scene being about 15 minutes, and when you are done, wrap up and move on. The faster style is at least implied.

Supernatural presence – In all cases, there main threat is of supernatural nature (or related to the supernatural).
It doesn't have to be, but it is more fun that way :)

In over his head – For the first half or so of the novels, Harry seems to be facing overwhelming opposition or that the problems are too many or too big for him to handle. But after taking several beatings, he does manage to overcome the opposition.
This is very well covered by the fate points mechanics. When you start a session, especially the characters with low refresh have very little fate points, so if there is a conflict, they will most likely get their asses kicked... and earn fate points. When the final battle arrives, the characters will have enough fate points saved up to tip the scales to their advantage and defeat the bad guy. Of course that requires meta-communication, so the players (as others pointed out) won't just try and kill anything you throw at them, but actually do the smart thing and run.

As a whole, playing as written will most likely give you a very dresdenesque feeling, that's what the rpg was designed for.

In the livejournal, Jim talks about the difference between a scene and a sequel. Very roughly, a scene is where the action takes place, while the sequel is where the protagonists stops and thinks about what just happened ("Sequels are what happens as an aftermath to a scene"). He says a story needs to alternate between scenes and sequels.
And I think that is true for the rpg as well. If you put a sequel at the end of each scene, where every player can do a quick recap for his char and himself, the whole game is going to go more smoothly, because everyone knows the others intentions. Especially as a gm those sequels will be helpful to keep the game running or to know when to change pace and/or directions.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal