Author Topic: Extraordinary NPC Thread  (Read 13816 times)

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
Extraordinary NPC Thread
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:58:35 AM »
Hoping this will go to the Resource Sub-Board eventually.  This thread is for non-generic NPCs, such as superheroes.

I'll start off with my ongoing list of Asgardians:
*Odin Allfather, King of the Asgardians  [  ]
*Thor Odinson, Asgardian of Thunder  [  ]
*Loki Laufeyson, Asgardian of Mischief  [  ]
*Balder (the Brave) Odinson, Asgardian of Light and former Monarch  [X]
*Sif, Female Warrior  [X]
*Heimdall, Guardian of the Rainbow Bridge  [X]
Warriors Three
*Fandral (the Dashing)  [  ]
*Hogun (the Grim)  [  ]
*Volstagg (the Enormous)  [  ]

Balder (the Brave) Odinson
High Concept: Asgardian God of Light and Prophecy
Trouble:  Key to Ragnarok
Other Aspects: (Former) Monarch of Asgard, Widower, Swordsman Warrior, Staunch Ally of Thor, Love-Hate for Karnilla
Skills:
Legendary: Weapons, Endurance
Epic: Lore, Athletics, Conviction
Fantastic: Might, Discipline
Superb: Resources, Alertness, Survival
Great: Contacts, Intimidation, Presence
Good:  All other skills default to Good or higher.
Stunts:
Powers:
[-4]Supernatural Strength- Balder can lift 35 tons (50 tons in role as Monarch)
[-4]Great Glamours- Balder can shield himself (and Odin's steed) from mortal eyesight.
[-2]Channeling (Pyromancy)- Balder can generate heat and light, but it is weaker than is contemporaries of other pantheons.
[-4]Supernatural Speed
[+1]The Catch- Mistletoe is Balder's one true weakness (although Odin's powers presumably apply as well), affecting the following:
[-4]Supernatural Recovery- Balder heals much faster than any mortal, and can perform at peak capacity for a full 24 hours.
[-8]Physical Immunity- Balder cannot be killed by mortal weapon.
[+1]Additional Catch- In addition to the mistletoe, the Immunity only applies to Balder when he is in the Asgardian dimension.
Equipment: Norn Stones (occasionally), Asgardian mounts, interdimensional portals, a pair of swords, occasionally Sword of Frey (not included in this write-up)
Refresh Cost: -24
Total Refresh: 4

Sif
High Concept: Female Asgardian Warrior
Trouble: Eyes only for Thor
Other Aspects: Affection for the Worthy, Understand the Mortals, Unrequited Love from Balder, Cold Weapon Mastery, the late Mrs. Chambers
Skills:
Epic: Weapons, Fists
Fantastic: Endurance, Conviction
Superb: Lore, Might
Great: Discipline, Alertness
Good: Survival, Presence
Fair: All other skills default to Fair or higher.
Stunts:
Powers:
[-4]Supernatural Strength- Sif can lift 30 tons.
[-4]Supernatural Speed
[+1]The Catch- Sif's power is potent primarily in Asgard, affecting the following:
[-2]Inhuman Recovery- Sif heals faster than any mortal.
[-6]Mythic Toughness- Sif can take all kinds of damage and still not go down.
Equipment: Dimension-traversing Sword from Odin
Refresh Cost: -15
Total Refresh: 5

Heimdall
High Concept: Sentry of Asgard
Trouble: Duty above Family or Love
Other Aspects: Trusted Confidant of Odin, Sister Sif, Former pawn of Loki, Seeker of Lost Asgardians, Power with Restraint
Skills:
Legendary: Alertness
Epic: Discipline, Conviction
Fantastic: Might, Weapons
Superb: Athletics, Fists
Great: Resources, Presence
Good:  All other skills default to Good or higher.
Stunts:
Powers:
[-4]Supernatural Strength- Heimdall can lift 50 tons (191x his weight)
[-2]Inhuman Speed- Heimdall is quicker than any mortal athlete.
[-2]Channeling (Pyromancy)- Heimdall can conjure powerful blue fire, capable of downing Thor.
[-4]Refinement
[+1]The Catch- Sonic booms disable him, and his weak points are his eyes, that slowly heal (if at all).
[-3]Extreme Senses- Heimdall can detect beings hundreds of miles away.  He can focus these senses intensely and block out other information.
[-4]Supernatural Recovery- Heimdall heals from wounds quickly
[-6]Mythic Toughness- Heimdall can take all kinds of punishment and not go down.
Equipment: his steed Gulltopp, Gjallerhorn, Hofund.
Total Refresh: 4
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:41:04 AM by Katarn »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Extraordinary NPC Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 01:24:27 AM »
Quick comment: Wizard's Constitution is replaced by any Recovery Powers.  You can't take it with Supernatural, Inhuman, or Mythic Recovery (possibly not with Physical Immunity).  The anti-aging is implied.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:02:17 AM »
OP....

I don't think it's wise to stat plot devices.

If you are dead set on it, your gods are WAAAAAAY underpowered.

The Senior Council is in the 40s for refresh.

The way you stated your gods here, my 11 refresh character in my physical game would have a shot at taking one out one on one.

If you must plot these guys, they should be about 3x stronger and have quite a few custom powers.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 03:16:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure that these are Marvel Universe gods, not real ones. Not really plot-device level as far as I remember (that's not all that far).

Anyway, I kinda wonder why these guys have such high skills and no stunts.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 03:51:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure that these are Marvel Universe gods, not real ones. Not really plot-device level as far as I remember (that's not all that far).

Anyway, I kinda wonder why these guys have such high skills and no stunts.

Right, I'm doing the Marvel versions (hence the Warriors Three, which isn't part of Norse mythology)- Odin is the only one on the list that's plot level power.
Personally, I wouldn't stat the Senior Council that high myself- at most in the 30s.  Irregardless, Sif and the Warriors Three would not be a match for any one member of the Senior Council (they're likely to lose, not necessarily die).  I'd put Loki or Thor at the level of a Council member.  I'd stat Odin as a Marvel Character or Dresdenized as a match for multiple Council members.

I'm open to suggestions for the stunts.  Skills are high since I'm not confident with stunts, particularly specialized ones.  And some skills, like Heimdall's Alertness or Balder with Weapons, should be noted.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:51:43 AM »
Re-posting my Ridley and Captain America (both of which underwent heavy review):

Captain America (Steven Rogers):
High Concept: Iconic Super-Soldier of America
Trouble: Idealist to the Bitter End
Other Aspects: Loyal to Nothing but the Dream, WWII Veteran, Avenger, Unshakable Devotion, Old-Fashioned Manners
Skills:
Superb: Fists, Conviction, Athletics, Presence
Great: Endurance, Discipline, Might, Alertness
Good: Empathy, Rapport, Survival, Stealth
Fair: Driving, Scholarship, Guns, Lore
Average: Investigation, Craftsmanship, Performance, Burglary
Stunts:
*Deflection Throw: when you throw a disc-shaped weapon, you can angle it to hit multiple targets, doing a spray attack even at range
*Weapon Recovery: you may instantly recover a thrown weapon by angling it to return to you, provided you throw it no more than a zone. Otherwise, it's a supplemental action.
*Mobility: when using melee weapons or fists, reduce the penalties from moving by up to 2.
*Shield Mastery: +2 to defense rolls using a shield.
*Throw Mastery: +1 to attack rolls and +2 to damage with thrown weapons. This is two stunts.
*Pilot
*Fleet of Foot
*Resilient Self Image
*Martial Artist
*Lethal Weapon
*Leadership
*Good Arm
*Tireless
*No Pain, No Gain
 [-15]
Powers:
[+0]Wizard's Constitution: Steve Rogers ages little (if at all) due to the Super-Soldier Serum
[-4] Item of Power: Captain America's (Unbreakable) Shield
      *Unbreakable: the shield can not be destroyed by normal means. Only powerful effects that specifically pervert its purpose can break it.
      *It Is What It Is: weapon 2, extends the defense trapping of weapons skill to include ranged attacks.
      *IoP rebate (+2)
      *Absorb Energy: +2 block rolls vs energy attacks. (-1)
      *True Aim (-1)
      *Physical Immunity (-8)
      *The Catch: Indirect Attacks (+4).  The bearer must take a free action 1/round to decide the direction or opponent the shield faces; the shield only blocks attacks it faces.
      In addition, attacks that the shield cannot interpose itself against (such as gas attacks, zone-wide fires, pools of acid) and attacks that drain energy/force instead of using it   
      to attack (such as extreme cold or energy drain) also ignore the immunity.
Equipment:
*Armor: 2 (bullets)
*Pistol (weapon: 1) (believe it of not he occasionally uses this)
*Avengers ID card (communication)
Refresh Cost: -19
Total Refresh: 11

Ridley
High Concept: Space Pirate General
Trouble: Mortal Foe of Samus Aran
Other Aspects: Cunning God of Death, Federation's Most Wanted, Heartless Monster, Competent Tactician, Battle Pleases Me
Skills:
Superb: Weapons, Fists
Great: Endurance, Intimidation
Good: Athletics, Resources
Fair: Might, Alertness
Average: Presence, Stealth
Stunts:
*Leadership through Fear- Ridley is a General of the Space Pirates, and an effective one at that- his abilities are primarily in intimidation.
Powers:
[-6]Mythic Recovery- Ridley shrugs off consequences like they're nothing.  He has also brushed shoulders with death, but comes back from feasting upon corpses.  He does not tire in battle.
[-2]Hulking Size- Ridley is big, scary, and intimidating.
[-1]Wings- Ridley can fly.
[-2]Breath Weapon- He can breathe plasma.
[-1]Claws- Ridley will get close and personal if need be.  This can be either his literal claws or his tail.
[-1]Echoes of the Beast (Dragon)- despite being the only known member of his kind (by the Federation at least), he knows his heritage well.
[+1]Natural Reflexive Armor- after Ridley takes a decent beating, his skin hardens, upgrading abilities (costs covered under individual abilities labeled NRA.  based on Human Form from the standard powers.
[-2]Inhuman Speed (NRA)- Ridley can move quick, when need be.
[-4]Inhuman Strength- Supernatural Strength (NRA)
[-6]Supernatural Toughness- Mythic Toughness (NRA)- Ridley can take a lot of hits, especially after his skin hardens in response to beam attacks from the Arm Cannon.
[+2]The Catch: Ridley is vulnerable when attacked in the throat and certain points on his chest.
Equipment: None.
Total Refresh: 5

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »
LIBERTY PRIME  (from the Fallout 3 game)

High Concept: Titanic Robot Superweapon  Trouble: "DEMOCRACY IS NON-NEGOTIABLE" *throws atom bomb*
Aspects: Attack Of The 50-Foot Whatever, Overwhelming Firepower, Machine Out Of Time, "I DIE... SO DEMOCRACY MAY LIVE"
Stress: Physical OOOOOOOO(OOOOOOOOOOOOOO) armor 7, Social OOOO, Mental OOOO, Refresh and Fate: Submerged, -33/0

Powers:
[-4] Titanic Size - twice the bonuses/penalties of hulking size (it's a 40+ foot robot weighing several hundred tons)
[-6] Mythic Strength
[-6] Mythic Toughness (catch is unknown)
[-7] Physical Immunity: Extra Toughness - 4 extra levels of toughness rather than full immunity (tough enough to barely survive a nuke)
[-1] Unstoppable - use endurance for defense against all physical maneuvers and attacks.
[-3] Nuclear Powered - energy weapons Libery Prime powers with its arc reactor have +2 weapon rating,
      unlimited ammunition and may rapid-fire, provided their cooling systems can handle the load.
[-3] Advanced Tactical Interface - due to its tactical computer, Liberty Prime effectively has True Aim,
      Target-Rich Environment and may use two weapons at once as per Off-Hand Weapon Training.
[-1] Energy Storm - when using energy weapons, Liberty Prime can take -2 to attack rolls to affect an entire zone.
[-1] Photonic Resonance Overcharge - may use his full breaking modifier vs energy barriers, with a further +2 bonus.
[-1] Advanced Sensory Interface - this sensory suit add-on is essentially a SAT providing Senses 3 as follows;
      radar, ladar, EM vision, telescopic vision, EM comm receiver, computer interface, thermal vision

Skills:
+7: Guns, Endurance
+6: Might, Alertness
+5: Conviction, Discipline
+4: Intimidate, Weapons, Fists
+3: Presence, Survival, Science
Other skills default to mediocre. Mental skills reflect rigid/high quality programming.

Equipment:
Superalloy Plating: battleship-equivalent armor. Not actually "equipment", it's justification for having armor 7.
Massive Fists/Feet: Liberty Prime's fists and feet weigh at least as much as the average truck. They are naturally weapon 5.
Atomic grenades: weapon 14 grenades in significant supply.
2 particle cannons: weapon 5 armor piercing 2 with rapidfire capability each, positioned inside the helmet along with the sensory interface.
Liberty Prime could potentially carry bigger weaponry in his hands or shoulders - but doesn't seem to have any so far.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 03:16:44 AM »
Cthulhu (Deep One)

High Concept: Great Cthulhu
Other Aspects: When The Stars Are Right, Master Of R'lyeh, Doomsday Cult, Outsider Priest, That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die
Skills:
Epic: Lore
Fantastic: Conviction, Might
Superb: Endurance, Discipline, Intimidation
Great: Deceit, Contacts, Fists
Good: Presence, Alertness, Survival
Fair: Investigation, Empathy, Athletics
Average: Burglary, Performance, Weapons, Craftsmanship
Stunts:
Shrug It Off (Endurance): Defend against physical attacks with Endurance.
Tentacles! (Might): +1 to grapple.
Outsider Loremaster (Lore): +1 to general forbidden knowledge, +2 to knowledge of the Outside.
Knowledge Of All Things (Lore): Use Lore instead of Scholarship for knowledge of things that haven't changed since he went to sleep.
Powers:
Titanic Size [-4]
Living Nightmare [-1] (Living Dead reflavour)
Demesne (R'lyeh) [-1]
Aquatic [-1]
Wings [-1]
Claws [-1]
Echoes Of The Beast (Outsider) [-1]
Marked By Power (Outsiders) [-1]
Sponsored Magic (Outsider) [-3]
Thaumaturgy [-3]
Refinement [-7]
Mythic Strength [-6]
Mythic Toughness [-6]
Mythic Recovery [-6]
The Catch (unknown) [+0]
Physical Immunity [-8]
The Catch (Standard Outsider weaknesses) [+2]
Vast Hyper-Dangerous Mental Aura [-8] Makes a Fantastic mental attack at weapon 2 against Discipline against everyone within three zones each turn.
Magic:
Thaumaturgy: +1 psychomancy control, +2 psychomancy complexity, +3 Outsider Magic control, +4 Outsider Magic complexity
Foci: Unpeakable Thing (+3 Outsider Magic complexity), Unthinkable Thing (+1 Outsider magic offensive power and defensive control), Unimaginable Thing (+2 Outsider Magic offensive control)
Enchanted Items: 4 potion slots (strength 7)
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:38:15 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 08:24:26 AM »
Actually, Cthulhu isn't a god, just a powerful priest of said gods. I like how you made him invulnerable vs anything mankind or mortals in general could do to him without making him close to omnipotent (as some Mythos fans tend to insist he is), especially if confronted by a sufficient amount of the right banishment spells or holy power.

I would, however deal with his insanity-inducing appearance a bit differently. IMHO it is not some sort of active aura that continually assaults the minds of others. It is more like a part of who and what he is; simply seeing him or acknowledging his existence should rob you of sanity, once. If you survive and accept the revelation (and that is a rather big if) you shouldn't have any more bad effects for simply being close. Luckily, there is a rather easy way to handle this;

[-1] Horrendous Presense: Outsiders are horrifying to behold. Move the "first impressions" to intimidation, and the roll is an intimidate attack rather than maneuver.
[-1] Mortal Dread: Outsiders are unnaturally frightening to mortal creatures. +2 to all intimidation rolls vs mortal races.
[-1] The Face of Madness: Especially powerful Outsiders can unhinge most minds. Their intimidation attacks are weapon 2 and, against true mortals with
their limited exposure to the supernatural, they do not need intimate knowledge or specific circumstances to use intimidation; their presence alone is enough

Now, Cthulhu has an intimidation of superb, living nightmare, titanic size and, if we are using the above powers, Mortal Dread vs mortals. That's a +13 bonus. The "first impressions" from him will be a +13 weapon 2 mental hit the first time some hapless mortal sees him. Assuming a discipline of superb, the highest common mortals are going to have, that is still a mental hit at about 8 stress - at least moderate consequence. A bad roll threatens serious or extreme consequences or even takeout... for the most mentally stable humans in the world. 99% of the population will go outright insane at first sight... which is as should be.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
How do you stat Cthulu can eat d10 investigators a turn, that means he can kill 5 player character each turn (so full concequences)? 
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 12:28:01 PM »
Investigators aren't player characters. They are true mortal player characters, usually at low power levels;

1) Merely seeing him would probably take them out, at which point he could just dictate an "as they fall down in mindless terror, I pick them up and eat them" takeout result.
2) He is titanic with claws and tentacles - so I'd make his "Echoes" trapping be a multiattack. Against such tiny things he attacks at +7 (fists modified by might justified by the ridiculous size difference) with weapon 8, tagging their consequences from surviving the insanity aura. 99% of true mortals would go splat - at which point he can again say that he eats them.
3) He has offensive magic at least at 9 power and control (including bonuses from sponsored magic) and as he is his own sponsor most of the time and has huge refresh total to begin with, he can take huge levels of "debt" towards his own nature. If all else fails, he just turns his victims inside-out.

But the major point is this; Mythos creatures are not incredibly powerful. They are incredibly powerful compared to humans of that setting. Anything that can resist mundane harm - the only thing such mortals can bring to bear most of the time - can just rip them apart. Anything with living dead/living nightmare that needs some obscure way to be killed will basically be immortal. Anything with -3 refresh to get the full suite of the insanity presence powers (which 90% of mythos creatures have) could harm their minds just by existing.
You don't need omnipotent adversaries to crush civilization. You just need adversaries said civilization has no weapons against.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:22:17 PM »
RAND AL'THOR (Wheel of Time)

High Concept: The Dragon Reborn
Trouble: Bound by Prophesy
Other: Chivalry is not Dead Damnit, Bound to Ishamael, One-Handed, I Must Do This Alone

Skills:

Legendary Conviction
Epic Endurance, Resources
Fantastic Discipline, Weapons, Intimidate
Superb Athletics, Presence, Alertness
Great Contacts, Deceit, Survival
Good Stealth, Fists, Might
Average Scholarship, Craftsmanship, Lore

Powers:

[-5] Channeling the One Power (sponsored full evocation, OP rituals at the speed of evocation (see below). Additional +1 power, may "overchannel" as sponsored debt)
 [-2] One-Power Ritual (upgrade for Channeling, allows 3 thaumaturgy "talents". Rand has Warding, Worldwalking and Elementalism)
 [+0] Innate Focus: instead of 4 base focus slots, the One Power abilities give +1 power +1 control.
 [-18] Refinement (fire power +8, fire control +7, earth power +6, earth control +5, spirit power +4, spirit control +3, air power +2, air control +1)
 [-1] Master Channeler (armor 2 vs backlash)
 [-1] Weavesight
 [-2] Multiweave (multiple targets divide weapon rating only and can apply different effects per target)
 [-2] Warweaver (every zone increase after the first five adds +1 zone radius, not +1 zone)
 [-2] Echoes of the Past (+1 rolls to rare or lost weaves, use conviction instead of Lore for refinement and knowing events of the War of Power)
 [-1] Deep Reserves (+2 mild mental consequences, usable for Channeling only)
 [-0] Wizards Constitution
 [-2] Law Breaker (First Law)
 [-2] Law Breaker (Sixth Law)
 [-1] Law Breaker (Seventh Law)
 [-1] Blademaster (+1 weapons skill when using a longsword)
 [-1] The Oneness (may decide to get +1 attack rolls for the scene, but also takes -2 to social interaction except intimidate)

Total Refresh: -41, -57 with Callandor

Callandor
Item of Power bound to "Dragon Reborn" High Concept
One-time Discount [+2]
It is a weapons 3 longsword
Unbreakable
Major Sa'angreal; +10 to Power and Control focus for the One Power [-20]
Unless used in a circle of three with a woman commanding, any bonus used beyond +5 causes Fallout equal to half the spell's total power. [+2]

Stresses:

Mental: OOOO +2 mild consequences
Physical: OOOO +2 physical consequences
Social: OOOO +1 social consequence
Extreme Consequence: Cursed Wound

Strength in the Power:

Power: 8 conviction, +2 OP bonus, +8 fire specialization, +10 Callandor
Control: 6 discipline, +1 OP bonus, +7 fire specialization, +3 Lawbreaker, +1 Echoes, +10 Callandor

Rotes:

Blossoms of Fire
Five whining columns of fire appear in the midst of your enemies then immediately burst into discs, blasting everything within fifty yards
Effect: Weapons 4, 5 different zones, +3 zones radius. (20 shifts)
Note: Requires Warweaver, Violates 1st Law. Not that most Ashaman would care but Aes Sedai might want to have words with you.
Arrows of Fire
A arrows of flame flash from each finger, hitting a dozen different targets with deadly accuracy
Effect: Weapons 1, up to 17 targets at once, to hit roll is not divided (18 shifts)
Note: Requires Multiweave. Weapons rating might be low but a typical roll from Rand Al'Thor is still about 18 for lethal weaves so enemy mooks are still dead.
Balefire
A foot-thick bolt of blindingly bright radiance burns the target from time and space, even erasing past actions of the target.
Effect: Weapons 20 spiritual disruption opposed by discipline. Take-out erases the target from the continuum of time.
Note: Violates 1st and 6th laws. A target will almost always get hit since RAT has a control of 18+ for it and is taken out pretty much automatically. Oh, and expect Paradox-eggeddon if you use it too much.
Deathgate
A silvery slash in the fabric of the world quickly opens into a revolving one-sided gateway that moves, carving a path through everything unlucky enough to be before it
Effect: Weapons 10 transportation in a zone-wide, 5 zones long line, opposed by athletics (20 shifts). Ignores armor. Take-out moves the target in a random part of an empty dimension in which he can't survive. Lesser results cause physical damage as the razor-sharp edge of the revolving gateway slashes away limbs or even bigger pieces.
Note: Violates 1st and maybe 7th law. Otherwise, have fun gating-out the opposition. Just remember that some creatures might actually survive being sent into an empty dimension and might even eventually return.

Yeah, Rand Al'Thor is terrifying. Even without Callandor, he can Balefire your ass without breaking a sweat. He can overchannel (incurring Debt) for up to 16 fate points without burning out, twice as much if he doesn't care about burning out. His "death curse" (basically calling so much power in one weave that he bursts apart) is Power 120, Control 22 if he overchannels everything (sponsor debt equal to his refresh), uses Balefire and takes the difference in backlash (which doesn't matter cause he dies anyway). That's more than enough to create a small volcano given his abilities.
With Callandor, you're dead. He can open a gateway to your location and Balefire the city you're in. All of the city. In one blow.

Offline JustADude

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
[-1] Horrendous Presense: Outsiders are horrifying to behold. Move the "first impressions" to intimidation, and the roll is an intimidate attack rather than maneuver.
[-1] Mortal Dread: Outsiders are unnaturally frightening to mortal creatures. +2 to all intimidation rolls vs mortal races.
[-1] The Face of Madness: Especially powerful Outsiders can unhinge most minds. Their intimidation attacks are weapon 2 and, against true mortals with
their limited exposure to the supernatural, they do not need intimate knowledge or specific circumstances to use intimidation; their presence alone is enough

I like the idea a lot... especially that you took into account the fact that supernaturals would likely be far more resistant to the effect than vanilla mortals.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
Hmm. Interesting approach you have there. Although you should add a note saying that the Intimidation attack is mental rather then social. Being able to use it outside of social encounters is probably also worth an extra refresh.

I kinda like the way that the aura works, though. It means that when 100 mortals team up against Cthulhu, he gets to attack all of them every round. Your approach would leave a lot of people sitting around (which is normal when 100 people join the same fight, but still).

I suppose both would work.

Editing the god/priest bit.

By the way, Rand is pretty damn fragile for such a powerful character. A Chest Deep party could kill him.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 04:59:02 PM »
I got it covered; Intimidate can already deal mental stress in specific circumstances - it is the only way people without powers can do it. And the "Face of Madness" ability allows its use beyond specific circumstances when victims are true mortals.

As for Rand Al'Thor, that's how the books portray him; in a battle he took hundreds of thousands of enemies out by his lonesome and he has the tendency to punch out his world's Cthulhu but in physical combat a sufficiently high number of opponents can overwhelm him if he does not have time to channel. He is still the second, maybe the third best blademaster in the entire world but that does not make him invincible.