Author Topic: Physical Immunity to Fire  (Read 3053 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Physical Immunity to Fire
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:40:19 AM »
Does physical immunity to fire count against all types of fire, does it help against soul fire, hellfire, spirit fire, shade fire (burning darkness) etc. I assumed it dosen't because physical immunity vs magic only applies to mortal magic.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Physical Immunity to Fire
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:48:28 AM »
Physical Immunity counts against whatever it says it counts against.

So the answer depends on exactly what the catch is.

Which in turn depends on what you decide to make it.

So it's up to you.

If it were me, I'd make it apply to all of the above, as long as the magic is expressed in a "fiery" way. So it would work against Harry's hellfire-boosted Feugo, but not his giant fist of Soulfire.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:23:35 AM »
Something like Soulfire is not called Fire because it is hot.
It is called fire because it consumes part of the soul to power whatever effect it's used to produce. Like a fire that consumes fuel.

Hellfire is similar yet different, the external energy source can be used to enhance Force spells as much as Fire spells or mental effects.
It does not necessarily burn. Though it leaves brimstone smell behind.

I don't know what the others are supposed to be like exactly.

But in general i'd say that anything that is Heat/Burning/Flame is stopped by the immunity, no matter what the source of said fire is originally.
However, something that is not, as Sancta already said, "fiery" would not be stopped even if the driving force behind it is some kind of mystical-fire-powersource.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:13 AM »
Does physical immunity to fire count against all types of fire, does it help against soul fire, hellfire, spirit fire, shade fire (burning darkness) etc. I assumed it dosen't because physical immunity vs magic only applies to mortal magic.

GM gets to choose/debate with players on a game by game basis.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 02:03:54 AM »
Tough call, especially with Soulfire's ability to downgrade the toughness level. Would Physical Immunity become Mythic Toughness? I am inclined to say yes simply because its a formidably powerful and ANGELIC tool.

Ultimately I would say its in the "whatever works best as a story device" area of things.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:39:38 AM »
I'll submit my vote for 'no'.  I think that soulfire is not 'fire' any more than gunfire or a fire opal is.  Sure, it shares some of the same letters, but it's a convenient conceptualization of something incomprehensible.  If you power a fire evocation with soulfire, then I think the immunity to fire would apply (since it's a buffed fire attack, but a fire attack nonetheless).  But if you cast a pure soulfire spell or power any other type of non-fire spell with soulfire, then it's not really a 'fire' attack.  In fact, the text (YS292) implies without outright stating that it is 'holy' damage.

I'd classify hellfire similarly, by the way (though as 'unholy' rather than 'holy', of course).

(My opinion, for what it's worth.)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
I'll throw my chip in with the "if you're supercharging a fire evocation with it, then yes.  If not, then no" for all of the listed in the OP.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 01:18:43 AM »
By the way, I think a physical immunity to holy damage *would* work against a pure soulfire attack (though not against a fire-based attack that was supercharged by soulfire).  However, I think I'd probably require a very VERY good reason why the character should have such a physical immunity, since holy sources of damage often tend to be the trump card of damage types (examples include soulfire and swords of the cross).

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »
By the way, I think a physical immunity to holy damage *would* work against a pure soulfire attack (though not against a fire-based attack that was supercharged by soulfire).  However, I think I'd probably require a very VERY good reason why the character should have such a physical immunity, since holy sources of damage often tend to be the trump card of damage types (examples include soulfire and swords of the cross).

I'd say Soulfire would reduce this to Mythic Toughness/Recovery against holy (and then treat pure Soulfire as holy for the purpose of beating the Mythic Toughness unless it was supercharging something).  The Sword of the Cross would require a Fate Point to beat it.  Sacred Guardian would require mental stress, etc.  It would just mean that the Sword wouldn't automatically satisfy it.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 12:28:43 PM »
I'd say Soulfire would reduce this to Mythic Toughness/Recovery against holy (and then treat pure Soulfire as holy for the purpose of beating the Mythic Toughness unless it was supercharging something).  The Sword of the Cross would require a Fate Point to beat it.  Sacred Guardian would require mental stress, etc.  It would just mean that the Sword wouldn't automatically satisfy it.
I'd say that Soulfire doesn't break Physical Immunity down to Mythic Toughness/Recovery. I think that Mythic Toughness and Mythic Recovery are the pinnacle of Toughness and Recovery powers, and Physical Immunity is a seperate power set from those two.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
I'd say that Soulfire doesn't break Physical Immunity down to Mythic Toughness/Recovery. I think that Mythic Toughness and Mythic Recovery are the pinnacle of Toughness and Recovery powers, and Physical Immunity is a seperate power set from those two.
Interestingly enough, the Recovery powers and Physical Immunity are all listed under the Supernatural Powers (Toughness) section.  Which means that InFerrumVeritas has some room to argue that a power that "downgrades the Toughness ability of any supernatural creature" would have that affect against all of the Toughness powers...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »
I wouldn't run it that way. I think it cheapens Physical Immunity.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 10:17:31 PM »
I don't disagree.  I'm just saying there's an argument there.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »
I don't think it's possible to have physical immunity against soulfire.

That's like having a physical immunity against a sword of the cross.  Shenanigans.

-my .02
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 10:24:54 PM »
(See my comments above regarding approving such a power...  :) )