Author Topic: Request a Character...  (Read 14757 times)

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
Re: Request a Character...
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Name Adam Roscoe
High concept: Reluctant ghost speaker
Trouble: the damn dead

Powers
-1 ghost speaker (The curse of the family line)
-1 guide my hand (Breed training and 'helpful' spirits pointing the way)

Stunts
-1 poet
-1 personal magnetism

Skills
Great: Performance, resources
Good: presence, connections
Fair: scholarship, athletics,
Average: deceit, rapport, investigation, empathy, lore, driving, fist

background.
Adam grew up seeing the dead. They are always there. It took him a while to realise that most people don't, especially as his father and elder brother could too. All in all he finds them kind of tedious and occasionally very demanding. I mean he appreciates that being dead probably isn't much fun but he'd rather they whinged to some one else about it. And they were much less help in history class than he had hoped.
And it's hard to get amorous with a girl when Great Aunty bessy is sitting in the corner knitting and offering advice.
Aspect: The voice of the Dead
Rising conflict.
Adam started singing when he was a school, he formed a band with a couple of guys in his year and they were doing really well. Every one said he had talent, especially in song writing, where the lyrics just seemed to flow from him. But the family were not happy. His place is in the Breed not "Swanning around on some stage making money for some vampire." as dad put it. When the band signed up with a label owned by the Zander empire, he was prevented from signing too. Without his vocals and songs the Band flopped.
He still gets to open mike nights when ever he can, and has a following in the city, but he knows Ream will never let it go further.
Aspect: The blood of a bard

First story           Title "I'm just a singer"
A problem in club land meant Ream needed some one 'under cover' unfortunately most of the breed are well known to the various factions and thus not really suitable for the task. Ream approached Adam with a suggestion. Most knew Adam was not happy about the record label signing, he could go into clubland as a disgruntled breed member looking for a way out, using his singing as the route in. Adam agreed in the hope that may be this really was his way out. Whilst in there he was drawn deep into the games of the Drug mages and the changelings and witnessed first hand just what the breed were protecting humanity against. Pulled into the Nevernevr, he also realised for the first time the true power of his words in a realm where reality is fluid, and belief is all.
Aspect: My words are my weapons
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2011, 03:58:54 PM »
just one more left to go!!!

(and a the IRA wizard in hiding)

Offline Cryiron

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2011, 05:28:31 PM »
Rachel Morgan
(from the Hollows series of novels by Kim Harrison)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollows_%28series%29
The magic seems similar, the supernaturals are compatible with minor warping.

Felix Castor
(from the Felix Castor novels by Mike Carey)

Just some fuel for the creative juices and those two characters seemed to fit right into the system.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2011, 06:54:23 PM »
just one more left to go!!!

(and a the IRA wizard in hiding)

Sorry, life got hectic...overtime at work etc.

Here goes.

Cyrus O’Reilly
HC: Warden with Second Thoughts
Trouble: Not the Council’s Favorite Warden
Other: 1. The End No Longer Justifies the Means (he regrets IRA actions and murdering for the council); 2.  Never Give an Irishman Good Cause for Revenge; 3.  …is Paved with Good intentions; 4. Best Trained Soldier in the IRA to Date. 5. My Vices are the only Virtues I got left.

Skills:

Great: Guns, Conviction, Endurance
Good: Discipline, Lore, Athletics
Fair: Alertness, Scholarship, Rapport
Average: Intimidation, Presence, Stealth, Weapons, Burglary

Powers:
Evocation: -3 (Fire, Spirit, Earth, Air)
Thaumaturgy –3
Refinement: -1 ( +1 element)
The Sight-1
Soulgaze-0
Wizard’s Constitution-0

Stunts:
Explosives Expert: +2 to using explosives with scholarship
Linguist
No Pain No Gain

Foci:
Dog tags +1 spirit control
Ring (index finger) +1 fire control
Ring (ring finger) +1 earth control
Ring (pinky) +1 thaumaturgy complexity

Rotes:

+1 rote

Anti Hex field (not really a rote…just something he uses a lot)
6 shift strength, 4 shift time – allows him to temporarily work with technology (so he doesn’t blow himself sky high when working with  explosives)

Flash bang
Spirit evocation:
2 zone wide; maneuvers: blind Maneuvers deaf

Pyrotechnics
4 shift fire blast
(similar to Fuego!)

Feel free to muck with his stats, but he was  soldier before he was a wizard (in his mind anyway) he prefers real gritty combat to spells.

Consider this a rough draft.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »
A super-soldier of sorts, born as a crossbreed of the Hardman and Clayton families. Very young and very powerful, because of rather focused education. Someone for the munchkin to play.

Any one have any inspiration to run with this one?.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2011, 11:12:28 PM »
Priscilla Hardman-Clayton (Up To Your Waist)

High Concept: Rare Breed Ferromancer
Trouble Aspect: When All You Have Is A Hammer
Other Aspects: Born And Raised To Be A Supersoldier, Killer Of Fairies, Still Just A Little Girl
Skills:  
Great: Conviction, Discipline
Good: Athletics, Lore
Fair: Intimidation, Alertness, Presence
Average: Empathy, Endurance, Rapport, Deceit, Stealth
Stunts:
The Best Defence Is A Good Offence (Athletics): +2 to Athletics as long as she used an evocation attack with her last action.
Powers:
Supernatural Sense (See Through The Glamour) [-1]
Channeling (Iron) [-2]
Refinement [-1]
Item Of Power (The Leathers And The Colours On Them) [+2] granting:
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Marked By Power [-1]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:51:50 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2011, 11:44:01 PM »
Adam Roscoe looks pretty good, but I'd ditch Guide My Hand. It's not necessary to his concept (so far as I can tell) and he doesn't have the Conviction to use it properly.

Cyrus O'Reilly has good aspects, but I question a few things about his stats. First, why does he have -11 refresh worth of powers and stunts to go with only 32 skill points? Also, what are his magical specializations? And are you sure that explosive use is part of Scholarship?

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2011, 07:12:03 AM »
Adam Roscoe looks pretty good, but I'd ditch Guide My Hand. It's not necessary to his concept (so far as I can tell) and he doesn't have the Conviction to use it properly.

I was thinking of is less as some religious connection and more that the ghosts are telling him where to go to be where he needs to be, but actually the Ghost speaker can cover that and the Player can decide weather or not to listen to their advice.
Cyrus O'Reilly has good aspects, but I question a few things about his stats. First, why does he have -11 refresh worth of powers and stunts to go with only 32 skill points? Also, what are his magical specializations?
1st draft?
And are you sure that explosive use is part of Scholarship?

Building bombs is pretty technical, even fertiliser bombs require a certain understanding of chemistry to get the mix right. Also timers (Whether electronic or chemical) have their own quirks which need to be figured out - Scholarship seems to be the catch all skill for anything knowledge based that NOT myth/magic so I assumed this reflects the 'knowledge' of how to build and set (and perhaps more importantly disarm) explosive devices.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2011, 12:44:16 AM »
Just went through the core book, and found that Demolitions Training is a Craftsmanship stunt. (Page 150 of YS, if you're curious).

But I suppose that using Scholarship would also be reasonable.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2011, 06:02:19 AM »
He doesn't have craftsmanship. Could swap it for scholarship, but there is the whole iris literary tradition thing going on to.
There are plenty of examples where stunts allow one skill instead of another under certain circumstances., but that would loose the +2.

Mind you he does have skill points left if he is 'submerged' so let's give him craftsman at fair and the demolitions stunt instead.
Plus he still has an average slot available (if I've got my Maths right- it's too early to add up!)

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:18 AM »
Priscilla Hardman-Clayton (Up To Your Waist)

High Concept: Rare Breed Ferromancer
Trouble Aspect: When All You Have Is A Hammer
Other Aspects: Born And Raised To Be A Supersoldier, Killer Of Fairies, Still Just A Little Girl
Could I be really cheeky and ask if you can pull together a few rotes for this lass - only it's a con game and if I ave some one unfamiliar with the system, having a few 'set spell' will give them some ideas as to what she can do?

Background
The loss of the Hardman line hit the Breed hard and there are a number of projects in place to try and 'rebreed' them. The "Clayton" experiment was looking the most promising until their super soldier was born a girl. It is rumoured the Fisher King laughed until he wet himself when this was announced at the Council meeting. Muirgel Dolan, one of the North city River witches, asked to be allowed to raise the child. Assuming the project was a failure Ream agreed to hand her over "to see what the 'catholic witch' could make of her." 
Aspects: Born And Raised To Be A Supersoldier,

Rising conflict
Muirgel had long been aware that Ream undervalued the female members of the breed and saw this as her chance to make the point. She controlled every aspect of Priscilla's upbringing, educating her at the large house she owns in Walton and carefully limited her exposure to elements not required for her education. Muirgel had a second agenda of her own - as a young witch she had been seduced by one of the Sidhe Lords. she was never sure which as he was careful only to meet her when under Glamour. She had told herself at the time it would be good for her magic and had hoped to gain a boon from the Sidhe, but when she asked he had laughed at her and said that as a mortal she was beneath his attentions for anything more than a good lay. As a Clayton she knew Priscilla would have the skills to identify the man who embarrassed her and bring him finally to heal. When the time came however Priscilla proved to be a far too effective 'weapon'. Rather than confess his 'sin' as Muirgel planned the Sidhe Lord taunted the young Priscilla. The trained killer snapped and the Faerie vanished under shards of magically summoned iron. In a panic at what had happened Muirgel covered up the death and made Priscilla swear not to speak of it.
Aspects: Killer Of Fairies,

First story - Title A childhood misplaced.
Murigels method of education was sadly lacking in chance for the Priscilla to grow up with anything like a normal childhood. She was blissfully unaware of this until she started out in the world on her own. To complicate matters her first encounter with the Breed was during the investigation into the disappearance of the Sidhe Lord she had killed. Despite Murigels attempts the truth came out and the two were brought before the court. Steven Allourd defended the pair, but it quickly became clear that even he could find nothing to mitigate Murgiels crime. However he did successfully argue that Priscilla was no more guilty that a gun or a sword, and given her lack of education in moral education, could not be seen truly guilty. As the 'wronged party' the decision fell to Longarm to speak on half of the Fisher king. He declared that the girl should be given back to the Breed to see if they can tame her, and if not put her down. Ream passed her on to Fred Mathers in the hope he can bring her into line and save the line.
Aspects: Still Just A Little Girl

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »
The 2nd half of the character pack for expo.
http://wilsonclan.org.uk/DFRPG/ExpoCharacterPack2.pdf
(Adam, Roland Henry & Priscilla)

Thanks for all your help on this one guys - I'll let you know how the adventure goes :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:36:50 PM by Team8Mum »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »
Backstory looks great, as usual.

Do you mind if I point out a few typos in the PDF?

Rotes:

Railgun Nail (Single target attack, weapon 6, control 6, satisfies catch of Cold Iron, requires foci)

Priscilla draws an ordinary iron nail from her pocket and throws it into the air. Then she points wordlessly at someone, and the nail flies towards that unfortunate someone at an astonishing speed.

Cloud Of Cutting Death (Zonewide attack, weapon 4, control 6, satisfies catch of Cold Iron, requires foci)

Priscilla waves her foci in a vague circle while humming under her breath, and a cloud of iron filings appears in the air around her targets. A few seconds later, that cloud begins to whirl around like a tornado. Anything caught within the area of effect is shredded.

Curse Of Chains (Single-target offensive block against all large physical movement, 5 power, 2 duration, 6 control, requires foci)

Priscilla raises her foci above her head and strikes them together, causing ectoplasmic chains to appear out of nowhere and bind the target. This is a very effective way to incapacitate someone, but unfortunately it doesn't last very long before the chains dissolve into goo.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:52:29 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »
Backstory looks great, as usual.

Do you mind if I point out a few typos in the PDF?
please do.
Rotes:
These are great. Thanks.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2011, 01:51:17 AM »
Okay, before I correct your mistakes I should correct one of my own (although you seem to have noticed it already). Priscilla only has room for one Refinement, and so her rotes should be power 6 instead. Editing to that effect.

Anyway, there are a couple of general issues that apply to both packs.

-The stories all say "Staring" instead of "Starring".
-Some powers and stunts are explained, others aren't.
-Capitalization is inconsistent.
-Some things are centered within their boxes, others aren't.

There are also a whole bunch of minor spelling mistakes and such. To point them out one by one would be rather a lot of hassle for us both, so I'll just rewrite everything without them.