Author Topic: The scariest two words, what every Warden most fears getting involved with:  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Domestic Dispute

Got a Warden type who spent all his skill points on making a really nasty combat build, so he was ready for everything?  Well, most of the time you should keep them amused with combat scenarios to make them feel useful and powerful.  But every once in a while through them a reminder that not all police work, in fact, very little police work, is about running down criminals in darkened alleys and having a shootout with them.

Maybe it is the coven of practitioners who are having a schism, and are having a squabble over who keeps the sanctified ritual space, or the coven's supply of potions and charms that they crafted together.  Who owns what?  Well, when things were going well, nobody really cared.  But now all sorts of accusations are going forth, because Raven spied on Megan with Zorsha's crystal ball and saw her with Dark Steve, and Alex disrupted Melody's ritual, that she had been working on for months, because Alex thought the carefully arranged cobwebs were, well, cobwebs...

If you are really lucky, some dark malign force might be involved, setting the coven against each other for their own dark amusement.  But if not, emotions are running high, and most of them have access to curse magic and other nasty petty ways of getting revenge.  Oh yeah, and the really vindictive want you, the Warden, to destroy their former friend who betrayed them.

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
I don't see why a Warden of the White Council would be involved in a "domestic".  Unless someone was breaking the Laws of Magic.

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I think it's uncommon to see characters who try to do everything - fight well, talk well, research well.

Usually you get specialization. The guy who's the combat monster vs. the guy who is the group face.

So, this is what a more social-geared character is for. Your Warden player though might get bored.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
I think it's uncommon to see characters who try to do everything - fight well, talk well, research well.

Usually you get specialization. The guy who's the combat monster vs. the guy who is the group face.

So, this is what a more social-geared character is for. Your Warden player though might get bored.

Exactly.  That's why I try to mix it up for my players now.

My first DFRPG game was very educational because I was an optimized combat character in a very combat-light game.  I now ask my PCs what they want and what they're looking for.

Apparently, everyone likes banter.  So I have a high banter game now... with lots of explosions and ninjas.  :)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
While a Warden might get involved in such a 'domestic dispute', they'll have no official responsibility, or authority, as a Warden, applicable in a situation like that.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
I would think that a warden of the white council would probably think a love triangle between hedge witches was rather silly and not get involved.

Keep in mind that wardens are combat hardened veterans and killers.

To be that way, one must be very self confident and have a certain element of abrasiveness to one's personality.

In that situation, I don't think it would be thematically inappropriate for the warden to have lower social skills.

Most wardens should have a decent intimidation, though.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
I would think that a warden of the white council would probably think a love triangle between hedge witches was rather silly and not get involved.

Keep in mind that wardens are combat hardened veterans and killers.

To be that way, one must be very self confident and have a certain element of abrasiveness to one's personality.

In that situation, I don't think it would be thematically inappropriate for the warden to have lower social skills.

Most wardens should have a decent intimidation, though.

Per the novels, Wardens of the White Council are the soldiers and 'secret police' of the White Council.  In addition to being formidable combatants and Evocators, as already mentioned they should be 'scary' (i.e. decent Intimidation skill and/or appropriate stunts).  They should also have some skill at investigating matters and providing security.  Whether this is via high levels of the appropriate skills like Investigate and Alertness and relevant stunts, or via creative applications of spellcraft and Thaumaturgy, it shouldn't matter.

Remember, Wardens provide for the safety and security of the White Council.  In order to do that, more than just hack/slash/blast combat monsters are required.  The best combatant in the world is useless if you don't know there is an enemy to fight, and/or you can't find them...
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The best combatant in the world is useless if you don't know there is an enemy to fight, and/or you can't find them...
You can assume that there is an enemy to fight. If you can't find them, make them come to you. All you need to do is make sure that when they do, you are more than prepared for them.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Two words every Warden fears?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
Exactly.  That's why I try to mix it up for my players now.

My first DFRPG game was very educational because I was an optimized combat character in a very combat-light game.  I now ask my PCs what they want and what they're looking for.

Apparently, everyone likes banter.  So I have a high banter game now... with lots of explosions and ninjas.  :)

Sounds like a Michael Bay movie, with a Joss Whedon script.  :P
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I can think of a decent reason for a warden to be involved: Accusations of lawbreaking, which seems like a great thing for a spurned lover to throw around.

Offline Malivotti

• Participant
    • View Profile
I can think of a decent reason for a warden to be involved: Accusations of lawbreaking, which seems like a great thing for a spurned lover to throw around.

Hmm two wizards split up, relationship ends badly, lots of hurt feelings then a new lover gets killed in a very messy/odd/unusual way. Pretty routine, then have the dead lover be a changeling and now mommy/daddy from the fae side is making nasty noises to White Council.

The Fae ask for and get a representative to 'assist' and 'advise' the Wardens of the White Council in the investigation.

Add to the mix what if the death is non-magical but the Fae still want revenge for the death toss some mortal cops in the mix a few red herrings and give that GM cackle.

Could be fun. Also because of the War, the Wardens are told to wrap it up quickly, i.e. find someone to hang this on and get back to the front lines by various higher ups.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Sounds like a Michael Bay movie, with a Joss Whedon script.  :P

You know... that's not a bad way to describe the campaign I am GMing.   :D

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
Two words every Warden fears?

(click to show/hide)

"You sure you want it to be like this, fellas?"

On a more serious note, the White Council knows it has enemies.  What it doesn't always know, is who those enemies are, where they are, or what they're doing.  In most nations around the /real/ world, there is the national military or defence force, and then various law enforcement and intelligence agencies as well.  In the case of the supernatural nation of the White Counci, the Wardens perform both the military and policing roles, and might also be involved in some of the intel gathering as well.  Which still points back to requiring Wardens, or at least some of them, to have more than just combat skills at their command.

Complicating things further still, any member of the White Council might be called upon to represent the White Council if given a formal invitation under the terms of the Accords, like Harry was in Grave Peril.  Which means that Wizards in general might well find themselves in situations where just relying on magic and/or combat isn't enough.

How often over the course of the novels has Harry had to outrun, bluff, intimidate, or investigate something?

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
I like these ideas.

In my view, Wardens are mostly just really badass soldiers. (At least, the ones that aren't conscripts are really badass.) But the White Council treats them as all-purpose lackies, so they have to perform diplomacy and investigation work all the time. Most of them build up a pretty good selection of random low-level skills because of that, but only a few of them specialize in it.

So Wardens get into a lot of fish-out-of-water stories. That's what they need Fate Points for. When the blades come out, they get to kick ass.