Poll

Choice for my Character

Archangel
Avenging Angel
Knight of the Cross
Wizard

Author Topic: anyone wanna help me create a character?  (Read 4490 times)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: anyone wanna help me create a character?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 01:44:03 PM »
One thing to really consider is this: Angels are Plot Devices in the novels.  They're basically on par with most gods (not capital G), fairy queens, etc.  Your character concept sounds fun, but you should give a reason why he's not that strong.

Gone AWOL seems like it could work for justification, but being cut off from the power would probably bother you.  I'd change one of your aspects (Stone Cold Hard Worker and What More Could You Ask seem to overlap anyway in places where they'd be applicable).  Something like "Left My Power in Paradise."  

For powers, they'll really depend on your powerlevel.  Since we're statting up an angel, I'll assume submerged (10 refresh).  That gives 9 to spend on powers and stunts.

-2 for your IoP sword
-4 for all of the True Faith powers except Bless This House (Guide My Hand, Holy Touch, Righteousness)
-2 for Inhuman Toughness
-2 for Inhuman Recovery
+1 for Catch (Holy Weapons)

The catch may seem strange, but here's my reasoning: You're defended from the forces of Hell, Evil, and silly mortal weapons.  Not so much from other angels, faithful who want to do you harm, etc.

Finally, a note on your IoP: 

I personally wouldn't allow an IoP that you could summon to your hand at will and effectively can't be denied access to for more than a round to get the +1 or +2 discount.  The whole point of that discount is that your power is tied to the item and if you don't have the item you lose a significant portion of your power. 

If you can't actually be without the item it's a power with item flavoring (and something like giving your character Claws with some modifying powers but flavoring it as a holy sword instead of protrusions from your fingers).  You can use the same writeup, but no discount.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:52:45 PM by InFerrumVeritas »

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »
The set up I already have is just for starters, once I get his concept and abilities perfect for myself, then I can start work on the background story. Does that make any sense? I feel like I have to create the basis of my character before I can allow myself to become creative with his background.

Thanks for all the tips once again...
Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ.
-Anonymous

True forgiveness is a self-healing process which starts with you and gradually extends to everyone else.
-Robert Holden

All warfare is based in deception...
-Sun Tzu

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
Just put up a poll for everyone to vote on...I've been playing around with some ideas and was wondering which character template I should work with...Please vote for your favorite idea...

Didn't think of this until after 2 people had voted, but if you would please explain why you like that option better then the others. It would be of great help to me.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 06:38:15 PM by Raphael »
-Anonymous

True forgiveness is a self-healing process which starts with you and gradually extends to everyone else.
-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 07:15:34 PM »
Why avenging angel? Because Archangel is a bit overpowered, Knight of the Cross doesn't fit the concept as well, and even a faithful wizard doesn't have the same "I'm on a mission from my boss" quality as an angel does.

Richard

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »
Thank you Richard for the comment and the vote on the poll.
-Anonymous

-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 01:31:05 AM »
Zaphiel Lorenzo
High Concept: Avenging Angel Gone AWOL ; Trouble: Winged Brothers Want Him Back
Other Aspects:Enlightendly Delusional; Flaming Sword of God; Stone Cold Hard Worker; What More Could You Ask From An Angel; Sometimes Heralded From On High

Skills:
Superb (+5): Weapons, Conviction
Great (+4): Athletics, Lore
Good (+3): Endurance, Rapport
Fair (+2): Presence, Discipline, Empathy
Average (+1): Scholarship, Stealth, Contacts, Intimidation, Resources

Stunts:
Tower of Faith (-1)

Powers:
Human Guise (-0)
Glamours (-2)
Marked By Power (-1)
Inhuman Strength (-2)
Supernatural Toughness (-4)
Catch: Unholy (+3)
Guide My Hand (-1)
Visions From On High (-0) -  Those who pray over this item sometimes receive visions and prophetic messages from God, giving you cryptic and often difficult to interpret future knowledge. But in this day and age where so called prophets are a dime a dozen especially with the Cassandra Tears scam artists few are likely to believe you. Effect; Gift of Prophecy. This places an aspect on the “world” related to the prophecy that remains until it comes true or is otherwise resolved. Whenever trying to warn people about what you foresee, you are at a –2 to any attempts to convince them that what you’re saying is correct.
IoP- Angels Blade (-1)
Elemental Sword (-1) Effect; This sword can burst into a large glowing white flame, giving off a holy aura. It satisfies Holy and Fire catches.
 Righteousness (-2)
+2 IoP Bonus

Refresh Spent: -9
Total  Remaining:+1

Background:
Zaphiel started out just like any other angel you would think to know. A stone cold hard worker got him in the higher ranks of angels giving him more power and trust. After some time God puts him on guard duty, protecting the Tree of Life. This being a very big complement made Zaphiel feel good about himself for a few hundred years. As time goes by, he soon realizes, that yes protecting the Tree of Life is a very important task, but his only friend to talk to is the Flaming Sword of God. As most people with social issues go, Zaphiel was in trouble. After a time of no social interaction, Zaphiel become Enlightendly Delusional, giving him images of the near to distant future. Little did he know that God was working in him, showing him and preparing him for what was about to come. Zaphiel soon becomes frustrated with his task and walks up to God himself and asks "What more could you ask of me?"
Zaphiel had taken the last straw and was done with it, he went AWOL for a period of time. A few times in his life among mortals he has been Herald From on High by his angelic brothers, wanting him to come home, fearing that he will become fallen like Lucifer. But Zaphiel's story continues to this day, working in the lives of other and protecting them. God still uses him occasionally, and after all these many many years, Zaphiel has yet to fall. Still a Stone Cold Hard Worker, but this time hes working in the lives of others more directly. The world would never be the same without him.

Zaphiel starts of as a 'jobbing' hardworking individual angelic entity who after the big brouhaha of Lucifer and co "Sauntering gently downwards" is promoted to holding one of the "Swords of fiery justice"

He the goes out doing gods work but it faced with all the evil in the world and the increased job load by half of the staff team now working for the opposition, it all gets a bit much.
He has a crisis of faith that he is not really up to the job - which is a bit more of a major thing than it is for a mortal, and he goes AWOL to get his head straight. GOD being all seeing and all knowing knows this and is using it as a testing time to give him time to rebuild his confidence. He has thrown him in amongst the humans so our angel can gain support from the type of people who have 'crisis of faith' on a daily basis. And is guiding him to tasks that will show him he is up to the job.

Unfortunately his brother do not known this and think he is on the verge of 'falling' and are giving him a hard time and trying to forcibly drag him back home to stand before god and justify his action. (Unaware god will just say 'Calm down lads he is still doing my work'- but the character doesn't know that either and so is rather anxious NOT to be dragged back to heaven to 'face the angelic choir'.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:54:09 AM by Raphael »
-Anonymous

-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 01:51:57 AM »
I chose the same thing as Richard Chilton for the same reasons.

Looks like you have the correct number of skill points (for a Submerged character) in a reasonable arrangement. So, what sort of powers were you considering?

PS: I'd consider adding a bit of Fists or Might to this guy. I think they'd make sense with Superb Weapons and Great Athletics.

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 03:11:54 AM »
now after all this hard work and some great advice from a select few (you know who you are), i now need to make a background story...any suggestions?
-Anonymous

-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 08:11:44 AM »
Split up your aspects. Think of events that could have lead to that aspect and the. Rearrange them into a sensible order.
So "What more can you ask from an angel?" could be the final straw that made him go AWOL, so would make a good "First story" point as that would be his own bit of rebellious free will (Positive refresh) that made him a PC rather than the normal role of Angels which would be NPC (negative refresh rate)

Then 2 that come for 'guest stars' would be 2 other points which suggests that god is still operating through him, even though he and his brother think he is AWOL
I'd suggest
Enlightened delusional - as he tries to fit into 'earthly culture' and come as cross as a bit of a weirdo
"Sometimes heralded from on high" - as he realises that "guide my hand" is still putting him in the right place at the right time to do good.

Which leaves his back ground aspect cold stone hard worker
And his formative years "Flaming sword of god.

So, for example,  our angel starts of as a 'jobbing' hardworking individual angelic entity who after the big brouhaha of lucifer and co "Sauntering gently downwards" is promoted to holding one of the "Swords of fiery justice"

He the goes out doing gods work but faced with all the evil in the world and the increased job load by half of the staff team now working for the opposition, it all gets a bit much.
He has a crisis of faith that he is not really up to the job - which is a bit more of a major thing than it is for a mortal, and he goes AWOL to get his head straight. GOD being all seeing and all knowing knows this and is using it as a testing time to give him time to rebuild his confidence. He has thrown him in amongst the humans so our angel can gain support from the type of people who have 'crisis of faith' on a daily basis. And is guiding him to tasks that will show him he is up to the job.

Unfortunately his brother do not known this and think he is on the verge of 'falling' and are giving him a hard time and trying to forcibly drag him back home to stand before god and justify his action. (Unaware god will just say 'Calm down lads he is still doing my work'- but the character doesn't know that either and so is rather anxious NOT to be dragged back to heaven to 'face the angelic choir'.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 08:19:50 AM by Team8Mum »
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
Split up your aspects. Think of events that could have lead to that aspect and the. Rearrange them into a sensible order.
So "What more can you ask from an angel?" could be the final straw that made him go AWOL, so would make a good "First story" point as that would be his own bit of rebellious free will (Positive refresh) that made him a PC rather than the normal role of Angels which would be NPC (negative refresh rate)

Then 2 that come for 'guest stars' would be 2 other points which suggests that god is still operating through him, even though he and his brother think he is AWOL
I'd suggest
Enlightened delusional - as he tries to fit into 'earthly culture' and come as cross as a bit of a weirdo
"Sometimes heralded from on high" - as he realises that "guide my hand" is still putting him in the right place at the right time to do good.

Which leaves his back ground aspect cold stone hard worker
And his formative years "Flaming sword of god.

So, for example,  our angel starts of as a 'jobbing' hardworking individual angelic entity who after the big brouhaha of lucifer and co "Sauntering gently downwards" is promoted to holding one of the "Swords of fiery justice"

He the goes out doing gods work but faced with all the evil in the world and the increased job load by half of the staff team now working for the opposition, it all gets a bit much.

Mum it seems like you took alot of your time to write this...i much appreciate it. I guess its just going to be one of those things that i just have to sit down and take time to write...feel free to keep posting ideas...
-Anonymous

-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »
I honest to god have no idea where to even start my background story...half my mind says to give up and the other half says to take what Mum has already wrutten and tweak it fro there...course i wouldnt do that without HER permission
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:57:06 PM by Raphael »
-Anonymous

-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »
Why does he have Glamours?

As for backstory: I'd try something related to the subjectivity of morality. There are all sorts of philosophies out there that tell you what's right and wrong. But God only acknowledges one. So an angel who believes in some other philosophy could fall while still being extremely moral.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »
I honest to god have no idea where to even start my background story...half my mind says to give upand the other half says to take what Mum has already wrutten and tweak it fro there...course i wouldnt do that without his permission
You have my permission to take what ever you want and use it :)
After all it's your character we are helping you create.

(and for future reference- I'm a she)
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »
Sorry mum...truthfully i didn't know...and the glamours are to like protect my team and myself incase we get into a tight situation...just a precaution
-Anonymous

-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »
I don't think Glamours will do all that much with your Fair Discipline. You could solve that with

A) A stunt letting you use another skill for Glamours (check with your GM first, some won't allow it),
B) Better Discipline,
or
C) A replacement for Glamours.