Poll

Choice for my Character

Archangel
Avenging Angel
Knight of the Cross
Wizard

Author Topic: anyone wanna help me create a character?  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
anyone wanna help me create a character?
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
Im new to the DFRPG thing and i dont really understand the full concept of making my character.

anyone wanna help me?
Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ.
-Anonymous

True forgiveness is a self-healing process which starts with you and gradually extends to everyone else.
-Robert Holden

All warfare is based in deception...
-Sun Tzu

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
Re: anyone wanna help me create a character?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Im new to the DFRPG thing and i dont really understand the full concept of making my character.

anyone wanna help me?

Well, where exactly are you getting snagged. I think that would be a good place to start ^^;

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »
First, read through the templates, the creation chapter, and the powers/skills writeup to get an idea of what you can make.

Then sit down with your group.  Work out what the city is like.  Talk about what type of game the group wants to play.  Start to form the idea of what you want to play in your mind.

Pick a template that matches your character.  Note - some groups use templates as general guides as opposed to hard rules, mixing and matching elements from them.  Then summarize your PC with one phrase - that becomes the high concept.  Think of what sort of negatives he might have and summarize them in phrase - that's the trouble.

Oh - and use a pencil in case you want to change things.

Write a bit of a background.  It doesn't have to be a novel but it should be something.  Explain where your character came from.  Then pick a phrase that sums up the background (or some part that means something to you) - that's your background phase aspect.

Yes, if you want to you can have a phrase in mind and write something that explains that phrase.  And use a pencil (or type it on the computer) because you might want to change stuff later.  Keep in mind the skills you want - this is a good place to start explaining why the town librarian has Fists at Great.  Maybe he used to box as a kid, or was beaten up at school until he learned how to fight back, or used to run with a gang, or - however you want to justify having an odd skill this is a place you can do it.  Yes, technically we aren't at skill selection yet, but you should have an idea of what the PC can do.

Then start writing a story about his powers developing.  The Rising Conflict.  The bit that separates him from the rest of the world.  You can include other things here (talk about love lost or found, developing hobbies to justify other skills, etc) but you should include that spark that makes the PC special.  Pick a phrase that sums it up and that's this phase's aspect.

Next your PC has powers (or great skills and stunts, if playing a pure mortal) and goes off on his first story.  Write about what happened.  Look for something to sum it up and you've got that phrase's aspect.

Then you give your PC to another play and that player works with you to do the Guest Star Phase, including an aspect.  Do this again and you get your last aspect.

Now assign your skill points - if you haven't already.  You should have a very clear view of what your character can do by this point.  If you can't make the skills work out then you should go back and change your background so it doesn't refer to the missing skills.

Do the same for powers and stunts.

That's a very general summary - if you have specific questions please let us know.

Richard

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:51:31 PM »
I always start with the question of

"What should this character be good at?"

I find it helps a lot.

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
well generally i want my character to be faith based, if not some sort of magic ability. Other ideas come to mind of being a Knight of the Cross. Just something with some sort of power.
-Anonymous

True forgiveness is a self-healing process which starts with you and gradually extends to everyone else.
-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 01:22:15 PM »
well generally i want my character to be faith based, if not some sort of magic ability. Other ideas come to mind of being a Knight of the Cross. Just something with some sort of power.

A good place to start then would be to check out "Our World" and look at the knights of the cross in there.

Then put in your own aspects, change around the refresh if you have to, make your own backstory, and viola!  You're done.

Another option would be to play with a premade character for a session or two to see what aspects of the game you like more than others, and then make a custom character that reflects that.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
I don't mean to sound stupid or anything, but wheres the "Our World" thing located? ???
-Anonymous

-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Offline My Dark Sunshine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 03:02:18 PM »
"Our World" is Volume 2 of the Dresden Files RPG.

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »
Zaphiel Lorenzo
High Concept: Avenging Angel Gone AWOL ; Trouble: Winged Brothers Want Him Back
Other Aspects:Enlightendly Delusional; Flaming Sword of God; Stone Cold Hard Worker; What More Could You Ask From An Angel; Sometimes Heralded From On High

Tell me what you think...feel free to add or change anything...just make sure you change the font color

Changes Have Been Made Red
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:59:13 AM by Raphael »
-Anonymous

-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Samael

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 01:00:21 AM »
Zaphiel Lorenzo
High Concept: Archangel Gone AWOL ; Trouble: Winged Brothers Want Him Back
Other Aspects: Inhumanly Wise; Flaming Sword of God; Stone Cold Hard Worker; What More Could You Ask From An Angel; Trust Me, I'm An Angel.

Not Archangel, waaaay to powerful buddy for the setting considering they're like four of them.

Probably want to change that.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:32:29 AM by Samael »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 01:29:15 AM »
If you search "angel" on the Generic NPC thread, you'll see my take on such beings.

They tend to be very high-refresh, though, because they have to cover multiple areas of power. You might want to select just one.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 02:16:42 AM »
As Samael said, an Archangel is too powerful. There are only 4 of them at any given time (although technically 5, since one is Fallen). Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, Uriel, and Lucifer.

I suggest you tweak your last two aspects as well. They seem to blend, to me.

Otherwise, I have a good custom power for a Flaming Sword of God.

-2 Elemental Weapon
Musts: An Aspect Related To The Power
Skill(s): Weapons
The user is able to summon a two-handed weapon made of an element of his choosing. A claymore of fire, a greataxe of ice, a hammer of rock, and a spear of lightning are all possible.
Effects
Large Weapon: Your Elemental Weapon is a large weapon, rated at Weapon 3.
Always at Hand: Your Elemental Weapon requires no sheath. It can be summoned to your hand for a Supplemental Action, and dispelled as a free action.
Attuned: Your Elemental Weapon is attuned to you. If it leaves your hand, whether dropped, thrown, or disarmed, it will vanish. A Supplemental Action may summon it to your hand again.
Made of the Elements: Your Elemental Weapon may fulfill Catches if thematically appropriate.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 06:19:06 AM »
As Samael said, an Archangel is too powerful. There are only 4 of them at any given time (although technically 5, since one is Fallen). Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, Uriel, and Lucifer.

Or he could be the "Missing" Sixth Archangel - Which would fit with "Gone AWOL"
It could even be that he has been off doing Gods word in such a quiet mysterious way that he was never recorded in any of the texts and that his brothers don't know where he is, and given god being mysterious and all that, even he doesn't know he is still doing the work (though his other aspects would imply he does)
So he is less powerful than the others because he has been out of touch.
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Raphael

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »
Or he could be the "Missing" Sixth Archangel - Which would fit with "Gone AWOL"

Very good suggestions from everyone...ummm...I like the elemental sword idea whether it be of any of the major elements...it would be smart for it to vanish if it ever left my hand, that way no one would be able to use it against me...thanks for all the suggestions and if you have any more feel free to keep posting.
-Anonymous

-Robert Holden

-Sun Tzu

Samael

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 12:15:54 PM »
Like the new Aspect changes you made, there nowhere near as bland as before. ;)