Author Topic: Sixth Law question/debate  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Delmorian

• Posty McPostington
  • The Pants are BACK Baby!
    • View Profile
Sixth Law question/debate
« on: March 18, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »
I asked this question elsewhere, and was directed here.

The sixth law, as I understand it is:
"Thou shalt not swim against the Currents of Time" and is intended to prevent someone from changing the past or seeing the future with the intention of changing it. (some creatures living in past, present, and future at same time see it, but are not interested in altering it)

My question was, are other forms of cronomancy allowed? I have been considering a character for the RPG (with which, I admit, I have no skill or knowledge, just realize, I am a gamer, and SOME DAY, when my group gets over its 0 edition Rules Cyclopedia kick it is currently on, I plan to shift their objectives this way...) and I wanted to figure out of the concept was worth wile for me to atempt.

As we all Travel through Time at a constant rate of one second per second, and in the same direction, from the past, through the present, to the future, I figure it is not against the laws of magic to travel forward in time. Otherwise, wardens would be chopping off their own heads constantly, over the guild of their "temporal transgressions". ;D

My thought was... what about Altering the velocity you travel at, or altering the velocity ANOTHER person travels at, through the use of magic.

Example: My wizard and his posse are jumped by a big bad and his goons. We realize the goons are going to pin us down till big bad can get off his big powered up blast and kill us all. (Big Bad, being bad, doesn't care about the laws of magic) Soooo, I manage to pop off a bit of thamaturgic cronomancy in which I hop Big Bad ten minutes forward in time, basically hyper-accelerating him so that in one second to him, ten minutes pass, real time. This lets me and my posse finish up the goons, and set a good strong containment circle in the spot where bad is going to be popping in. I realize I would have to have some sort of "place holding" pattern to make this work, as if it was just "hop forward to exact same spot in space" then the bad would be in the same spot, but the EARTH would have moved on. Depending on the rotation of planet and so on, could be High in air, or under ground. Neither way would that end well for him, or me (not being a big bad, I DO care about first law infractions) but that is one way I can see legal cronomancy working.

Another way could be using Cronomancy to heal an injury, by increasing your experienced time, to allow it to heal "naturally" in the course of a minute, what would have taken months.

I can also see an NPC character, like the observer from Fringe, traveling forward through time, hopping from day to day, skipping over the dull parts and stopping in every year or so, till some objective was achieved or some fated event occured.

So... cronomancy.

Coments, observations, opportunity to riddle my idea with bullets of scorn and derision?
* Funny post quote that remains constantly relavant *

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Sixth Law question/debate
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »
I'm not sure that you need to worry about the rotation of the earth, as you would in a science fiction game. In a fantasy game, the ramifications of 4-d shifting in the context of a planetary body moving in space and time generally don't get a lot of coverage. There are some exceptions, of course, but those generally happen when an author or game is trying to "science up" its magic.

In the Dresdenverse, there is some coverage about respecting/factoring in the laws of physics, but Rituals, for the most part, seem to be anchored to a point on Earth, and maintain a relative position with it.

Time in the Nevernever, for instance, travels at a variable pace, sometimes much more quickly than the real world. Although the Ways are said to shift over time, this generally doesn't manifest as an immediate consequence, and it is a fair assumption that there is no risk of your Way shifting with the rotation of the Earth.

Dresden Files is actually incredibly geocentric from certain perspectives, so I think introducing the 4-D implications you mentioned are probably unnecessary, unless you specifically want to give the investigation an additional wrinkle.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »
'Swimming against the Currents of Time' is intentionally vague, but there's nothing in the Law that prohibits one from swimming faster WITH the current.  So, accelerating your speed by moving faster through Time is not against the Law imho.

There is a reference to prognostication in the books, so I don't think that seeing the future is illegal either.  To use the Law's analogy, you're not swimming; you're popping your head up and looking either upstream or downstream.  It's difficult (and if you're running a game people with foresight are VERY annoying...), but not illegal.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:20:50 PM »
IMO this works, going forward certainly isn't against the "flow". Now as for slowing people heres how I look at it.

When wizards work their mojo they have a construct in their head, sort of a mental image of what it is that they are trying to make happen. This is easy for a fireball as you just picture what you want it to be. A force evocation might be imagined as a fist. Now for a time evocation... It gets pretty figurative.

I suppose for slowing a person you could imagine them swimming against the current and that would be breaking the sixth law. But I also suppose the construct could be formed differently to achieve the same effect, figuratively having the swimmer tread water and go slower, or effect the river itself. For me at least time slowing effects are fair game.

Healing doesn't make a whole lot of sense though, natural healing is able to occur because of an expenditure of proteins and nutrients over months. If you try and accelerate your body a month or two enjoy the starvation. I imagine it could be done by gorging yourself on food and intermittently accelerating. Otherwise you'd kill yourself.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 05:24:59 PM »
I'm not sure about the slowing down bit...

If the current of time is pulling everything forward at the rate of one second per second and you make someone move forward at the rate of one second per minute, that's fighting the current and maybe swimming against it - unless you get into a eddy.

Richard
(who has swam in a river and knows how hard swimming against a current can be)

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:50:34 PM »
I'm not sure about the slowing down bit...

If the current of time is pulling everything forward at the rate of one second per second and you make someone move forward at the rate of one second per minute, that's fighting the current and maybe swimming against it - unless you get into a eddy.

Richard
(who has swam in a river and knows how hard swimming against a current can be)

Is creating an eddy against the 6th then? See thats my point depending on how the wizard forms the construct in his mind he can avoid breaking this law.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 06:07:57 PM »
If there are areas in the NN that have time pass at different speeds it may be possible to open a portal to those areas and use a "spill-over" effect to speed up time in localized places on Earth.

Consider the following example:

A wizard steps through a portal from the Earth to a place in the NN where time moves 10 faster.  As he puts his first foot through the portal, he is in a crazy state where the blood on one side of his leg is moving 10 times faster than the blood on the other side.  This can lead to any sorts of problems from pressure build up, to lack of oxygen to said body part and weird muscle contractions due to neurons firing at the wrong times.  ...What happens when his head is half way through?

In order for this to work without killing you, the portal itself must create some sort of interface where time starts speeding up gradually as you pass through (kinda like cool air coming out when you open the door to an air conditioned room).  Thus, a chronomancer could simply be adept at opening minuscule slivers of openings to places in the NN where time flows differently so that the residual chono-effects do what he wants.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
I'm agreed with most people here on how that interacts with the first law, however mechanically I don't know if it's a functional concept. Taking your example into consideration, that sounds like you're taking the big bad out, which means that the spell would likely require more shifts than you could safely muster in combat (sounds like somewhere between 10-35 shifts depending on the importance of the NPC, and seeing as how they're the big bad I would guess it would be on the high end). So from a mechanical stand point I would think that this would be difficult to model.

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »
'Swimming against the Currents of Time' is intentionally vague, but there's nothing in the Law that prohibits one from swimming faster WITH the current.

Harry actually mentions something about this being against the Laws in (I believe) Proven Guilty.
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »
I'm agreed with most people here on how that interacts with the first law, however mechanically I don't know if it's a functional concept. Taking your example into consideration, that sounds like you're taking the big bad out, which means that the spell would likely require more shifts than you could safely muster in combat (sounds like somewhere between 10-35 shifts depending on the importance of the NPC, and seeing as how they're the big bad I would guess it would be on the high end). So from a mechanical stand point I would think that this would be difficult to model.

How does plot importance increase the power required? I don't recall any framework of rules regarding anything like that... Are you talking about taking him out as in applying enough stress and consequences to take him out? If so that is not the point the point is to remove him out of the battle until later and then combat him on different terms. If PCs were going to just take him out by dealing that much stress there wouldn't be a need for time magic in the first place. On top of this for thaumaturgy 35 shifts is completely within the realm of possibility anyways. But we're missing the point here.

I think the effect that is being sought here is a maneuver which is then being invoked for effect, which is completely within the rules and achievable with relatively few shifts. The victim would get a defensive roll but the shifts required would be nowhere near ~30. Magic maneuvers are simple evocations, however 10 minutes is a bit much for evocation thaumaturgy would be doable though for that long.

This however is quite a potent effect for a spell. In a game of my own I would consider limiting it in some fashion from being used all the time.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:52:58 PM by ryanshowseason2 »

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »
As a side note this kind of magic can derail a game into conversations into the ramifications. A player of mine wanted a weapon that sent whatever it hit into the future not doing any damage just sending it.

Then we pondered what happens if it hits the ground activated?

Long story short The planet momentarily disappears and without gravitic pull the atmosphere sucks into vacuum and the earth reappears with no air and everyone not in an airtight room or underwater dies.

We decided that only matter along the item's surface area would be transported, making a sort of time lightsaber.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »
I went looking and found the section of Proven Guilty:

“Gone almost exactly twenty-four hours. So we did some kind of time travel?” she asked.
“Oh, God no,” I said. “That’s on the list of Things One Does Not Do. It’s one of the seven Laws of Magic.”
“Maybe,” she said. “But however it happened, a whole day just went poof. That’s time travel.”
“People are doing that kind of time travel all the time,” I said. “We just pulled into the passing lane for a while.”

Richard

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »
Harry seems, to me, to be referencing only 'poof, gone' time-travel, there, not merely 'swimming faster', which to me would clearly fall under the 'passing lane' description.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »
I went looking and found the section of Proven Guilty:

“Gone almost exactly twenty-four hours. So we did some kind of time travel?” she asked.
“Oh, God no,” I said. “That’s on the list of Things One Does Not Do. It’s one of the seven Laws of Magic.”
“Maybe,” she said. “But however it happened, a whole day just went poof. That’s time travel.”
“People are doing that kind of time travel all the time,” I said. “We just pulled into the passing lane for a while.”

Richard

These metaphors are really not helping are they? I could do so much with that analogy as well.

So time travel is more like a teleportation through time I suppose and speeding is perfectly ok I guess... Can I let off the gas, slow down and be in the laws? Or apply another's brakes?

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »
No, slowing down is 'swimming against the current'.  You can move at the same rate of speed as everyone else does.  You can go forward faster.  You can pop your head up and look ahead or behind you as you travel (handy, that).  But the second (sorry!) you begin to go against the current, even if it's just to let other people catch up... you're violating the Law.

Now, you could legally play perceptual games; confuse someone's awareness of how much time is passing.  (You're not meddling with their mind directly; only influencing what they perceive, like a time-hologram surrounding them.)
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.