Author Topic: How big would a sword have to be to count as weapon rating 4  (Read 7210 times)

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How big would a sword have to be to count as weapon rating 4
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 04:21:40 PM »
So to get to weapons 4-5 you need a sword the size of a person which also happens to be sharp. I would max out melee base damage at 5 because anything above a car is silly even for someone with mythic strength. 
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 04:30:56 PM »
So to get to weapons 4-5 you need a sword the size of a person which also happens to be sharp. I would max out melee base damage at 5 because anything above a car is silly even for someone with mythic strength. 

I'd say that's reasonable unless you're talking about things that are substantially larger than human sized.  For creatures with Hulking Size (which goes up to house size) swinging equally huge weapons I'd go up as far as seems appropriate.  If a giant smacks you with his 15' battle axe I'd say Weapon:6 is entirely appropriate. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 04:35:16 AM »
I'd say that's reasonable unless you're talking about things that are substantially larger than human sized.  For creatures with Hulking Size (which goes up to house size) swinging equally huge weapons I'd go up as far as seems appropriate.  If a giant smacks you with his 15' battle axe I'd say Weapon:6 is entirely appropriate. 

So long as the material it's constructed from is sufficient to maintain its form under the stress of such an impact (iron and steel aren't going to do the job).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
So long as the material it's constructed from is sufficient to maintain its form under the stress of such an impact (iron and steel aren't going to do the job).

Eh, we're talking about mystical creatures here.  If the giant is one of the fae I'd just assume that whatever inherent magic allows it to grow to such huge size without having its shins explode the first time it takes a running step allows it to forge a broad sword that can smash into crap without exploding into shrapnel.  

Materials science has no place in the Nevernever.

But if we're talking about a weapon made with human technology?  Absolutely. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »
Of course, ectoplasm is not subject to natural laws.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »
Neither are items of power with the indestructible tag.

Offline Magus Black

• Conversationalist
  • The Truth in more ways than One!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 02:22:27 AM »
Warden Swords count as weapon 3, despite the fact that swords are Weapon 2; due their great craftsmanship. So it may depend on ‘what its made of’ and ‘who made it’, a person with Craft 5+ could make weapons that are +1 their normal rating…

…and by that logic a person with Legendary craftsmanship could make a sword that’s Weapon: 6 by default.  :-\
As if I needed more incentive to go to Hell.
"Only Sheep need a shepherd!" -- unknown
"Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 02:33:07 AM »
If I really wanted to just add two to the weapons rating of a sword I would make it an item of power and give it a custom power like
[-1] Monofilament Blade: Add +2 to the weapons rating and ignore up to +2 armour.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 02:58:48 AM »
If I really wanted to just add two to the weapons rating of a sword I would make it an item of power and give it a custom power like
[-1] Monofilament Blade: Add +2 to the weapons rating and ignore up to +2 armour.

That's after discount, right?
Slough

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 03:10:59 AM »
It is hard to get the power level right for powers because they seem to very a lot do you think a -1 for +2 damage, -1 for -2 armour is appropriate, if so the full blade would also have to ahve true strike to equal -1.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:17:56 AM by bitterpill »