Author Topic: How big would a sword have to be to count as weapon rating 4  (Read 7209 times)

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
How big would a sword have to be to count as weapon rating 4
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:50:21 PM »
I was thinking how big would a sword have to be to get weapons rating 4, Tecnically weapons 4 is for weapons which have the effectiveness of grenedes and above but would Guts Sword from Beserker (Sword as long as a tall person and as fat as a slim male) count as weapon 4 considering its overwhelming size.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Tsukiomi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: How big would a sword have to be to count as weapon rating 4
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:53:45 PM »
I would say that guts' sword would do more than simply weapon 4. If weapon 4 is a simple grenade, and a rocket launcher would be something like weapon 5 or 6. then i would put a sword of guts size (which would require inhuman strength to even use) around 5 or 6.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »
It could be a dagger.

Weapon Rating simply measure how effective a weapon is at inflicting damage on living beings.  (And possibly objects.)  A supernaturally sharp dagger that cuts through flesh as if it is water would be just as damaging (if not more so) than being hit by a caber.

Now, if we are discussing normal weapons, it would be hard for even a zweihander to exceed Weapon:3.  Weapon damage hasn't really incressed all that much, because people haven't become any tougher.  A weapon:2 is quite effective at killing single targets.  Modern weaponry (guns) just lets you kill more people faster and at a greater range.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
If you are maintaining any verisimilitude with real life, such a large sword would be less effective not more.  If not, just assign the damage rating your group agrees on regardless of size.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:18:25 PM »
I am trying to figure out the maximum melee damage, so with mythic strength (real life and mythic strength don't like each other) a ridiculously large sword could be weilded like a butter knife it may weigh 150kgs but you can easily lift and throw several tonnes. I am under no delusions that a sword the size of person could be weilded by a person in real life. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:21:17 PM by bitterpill »

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:21:59 PM »
The only Weapon 4 sword (or other melee weapon) I would allow is a sword built like a large koloss blade in the Mistborn trilogy. Thick, big, and heavy.Too heavy for a normal person to use. Well, maybe a weapon 4 melee weapon if it were like a Super-Sledge from the Fallout universe as well, although that would most likely be an enchanted item like Harry's force rings put into a hammer.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 10:27:57 PM »
A car is weapon 5.  So if you can swing a sword with the mass of a car effectively then you have a weapon 5 sword.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:31:54 PM »
A car is weapon 5.  So if you can swing a sword with the mass of a car effectively then you have a weapon 5 sword.

you mean 'swing a sword with the FORCE of a car'
if you can swing it faster, it can be lighter
since it's a heck of a lot sharper, it can be both lighter and slower (focusing less force over a vastly smaller area)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 10:41:08 PM »
What do people recon the max weapon rating of a melee weapon is when you have a lifting capacity of + 17 (+12 mythic strength +5 skill)? I recon it must be between 4-6 for silly oversized weapons.   

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 10:52:26 PM »
Again, anything you want for a weapon rating.

Someone with extreme levels of Strength wouldn't generally NEED a weapon...although I can see carrying one if it's part of their theme (or to defeat a Catch).

And if your group is requiring such weapons because of what you're dealing with...That's a lot higher power than I'd be comfortable with in a campaign.

I'd say any weapon damage should top out at +8.  (Raw weapon rating, that is.)

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »
Its more the appeal of weilding a sword the size of a person and trying to one hit things with full concequences.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 11:20:19 PM »
I play Exalted(tm) for that... ;)

But hey, if everyone's having fun, it's all good.  But I'd try to be the Scotsman from Samurai Jack wielding a Caber in that game...

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 11:34:56 PM »
Getting Obscene weapon ratings isn't actually all that hard.

Mythic Strength + Item of Power One Handed Sword (Weapon 3) + True Strike + Berserk + Off Hand Training = 4dF+7 Weapon 11.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 11:37:34 PM »
What's Beserk ?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 12:17:31 AM »
The weapon bonus from 'magical' strength is written into the power.  For example, Mythical Strength is +6 to damage.  Mechanically, it doesn't matter whether you're picking up a telephone pole and swinging it or using a metal baseball bat...both should end up at Weapon:8.  There is a significant difference to the story, one is a ponderous swing of a heavy object and the other is a fast smashing blow.  But mechanically, both are clubs with a +6. 

Remember, FATE in general and DFRPG in particular don't simulate real life - they build narratives / stories.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer