Author Topic: Forming non broken stunts  (Read 7078 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Forming non broken stunts
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 08:03:48 PM »
I'd allow the attack-with-Athletics stunt, but I wouldn't let the player use his speed bonus to Athletics for it.

If you still feel that it's too powerful, remember that Athletics attacks will always be weapon 0 while a Fists user can pick up brass knuckles or spiked gauntlets.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 08:07:44 PM »
I'd allow the attack-with-Athletics stunt, but I wouldn't let the player use his speed bonus to Athletics for it.

If you still feel that it's too powerful, remember that Athletics attacks will always be weapon 0 while a Fists user can pick up brass knuckles or spiked gauntlets.

Eh, how are you going to force someone using athletics to attack to not be able to fashion a weapon to help out with that attack?

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »
Eh, how are you going to force someone using athletics to attack to not be able to fashion a weapon to help out with that attack?

That reminds me of the black adder sketch where the kings hired killer uses a spiked hat and rushing to obesants as a fatal weapon.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 08:15:50 PM »
I strongly suspect that all attempts to fashion tackling weapons will be just as silly as the spiked hat. And if it's ridiculous, you don't have to allow it.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »
That reminds me of the black adder sketch where the kings hired killer uses a spiked hat and rushing to obesants as a fatal weapon.

I was killed by Macbeth's spiked helmet in our high school production of that play. Saved a lot of choreography.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »
Wouldn't athletics work for a kungfu attack? No running involved with that sort of thing.

Well no, in my opinion. That would be a perfect example for the use of fists-as-athletics stunt.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »
The only better way I can think of using athletics as attack would be something akin to gymnastics like attacks. With cleats and cat woman like gloves as weapon 1 items. They could be honed as an enchanted item or other such honing of them.

Or perhaps parkour attacks, nothing like jumping onto someone from 40 feet above for a boot to the face.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
The only better way I can think of using athletics as attack would be something akin to gymnastics like attacks. With cleats and cat woman like gloves as weapon 1 items. They could be honed as an enchanted item or other such honing of them.

Or perhaps parkour attacks, nothing like jumping onto someone from 40 feet above for a boot to the face.

Beware! Lest we inadvertently bring Gymkata into the Dresdenverse.

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 09:51:40 PM »

New Stunt: Gymkata (Athletics): You may use Athletics to make declarations about the environment of the scene, you gain a +1 to the roll if these declarations place Pommel Horse like objects in the scene.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
New Stunt: Gymkata (Athletics): You may use Athletics to make declarations about the environment of the scene, you gain a +1 to the roll if these declarations place Pommel Horse like objects in the scene.

Auuugh! I brought this on myself!  :'( ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:05:54 PM by devonapple »

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 10:06:54 PM »

Pshh I can do worse than that picture this:

enchanted item laser ice skates used to skate around on even concrete/asphalt, using triple axels to attack foes.

I can't decide if the stunt should make athletics into fists or if it should be performance.

Also see Breakdance fighting performance -> fists stunt.  

Best idea so far from my group, a chronomancer enchanted axe or shield that sends matter it strikes into the immediate future. so 5 minutes from now whatever hit it winks into existence without warning. We thought about making it send stuff to the past but there'd be no way for me to gm that correctly.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
I strongly suspect that all attempts to fashion tackling weapons will be just as silly as the spiked hat. And if it's ridiculous, you don't have to allow it.

Spiked shoulder pads aren't that silly if you are crashing into someone.  Heck, a spiked shield even works there too.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 10:50:20 PM »
Best idea so far from my group, a chronomancer enchanted axe or shield that sends matter it strikes into the immediate future. so 5 minutes from now whatever hit it winks into existence without warning. We thought about making it send stuff to the past but there'd be no way for me to gm that correctly.

That, and the Lawbreaking that would ensue by sending things back in time...
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 11:41:31 PM »
That, and the Lawbreaking that would ensue by sending things back in time...

Doesn't it break the 6th by sending things forward in time as well? But pah one of my players is abrigands and highwayman, no literally time travel dude. Is everyone here uptight about law breaking or something? It is a game.

Offline Warpmind

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 11:53:43 PM »
Doesn't it break the 6th by sending things forward in time as well? But pah one of my players is abrigands and highwayman, no literally time travel dude. Is everyone here uptight about law breaking or something? It is a game.

Actually, sending things forward should be perfectly fine, seeing as that is not swimming against the currents of time...

Which brings to mind a character I'd like to write up; a German army scout working on a time travel project... who jumped ahead some sixty years from Dresden, February 13th 1945... Looking up history books when he arrived, he found a lot of good reasons not to go back... and integrated himself with some degree of success into modern society, with no particular interest in pursuing his original mission.
...You know the character is special, when reloading his frying pan is the right thing to do in a battle on the high seas...