Author Topic: Tips on Evocation?  (Read 3524 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Re: Tips on Evocation?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »
So I'm assuming most campaigns have little to nothing in the way of mental attacks?
*chuckles evilly*  My second scenario had them going up against a carnival of evil...  The poor lycanthrope had a really bad time in the house of mirrors when the warlock made him see every single person he'd ever killed or lost on the far side of the glass, pounding to be let out...  

That was my most... entertaining... mental attack in the game so far, at least as far as the player's reaction went, but I regularly have mental attacks in my campaign.  
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on Evocation?
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 02:29:01 AM »
So I'm assuming most campaigns have little to nothing in the way of mental attacks?

I made a big bad once that specialized in mental attack magic.  It was a bit of a nasty surprise for the players, who had been steamrolling their opposition up until that point, but its not the kind of thing that you can throw at them all the damn time without it wearing thin.  Interestingly enough, he hurt the nonspellcaster a lot worse than the spellcasters, because they had a high enough discipline skill to give them a chance at resisting the attacks. 

I've never seen a fight where either a.) the wizard runs out of juice before finishing off the bad guys or b.) everyone, not just the wizard, gets their asses handed to them.  The pacing just works out so that fight scenes lasting more than four rounds just don't happen all that much.
Lawful Chaotic