Author Topic: Statting a Homunculus (FMA rip)  (Read 6611 times)

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Statting a Homunculus (FMA rip)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 03:51:43 AM »
Thats genius, ;D You have managed to stat him wonderfully and keep the feel of the character, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:53:20 AM by bitterpill »
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 04:20:00 AM »
And here's Wrath. He was fun to make, since he's got eleven stunts. You'll notice that he doesn't have Contacts or Resources worth spit. That's because I decided that Father was the one with those skills. If need be, Wrath can invoke his Born And Raised To Serve Father aspect to have Father make a Contacts or Resources roll for him.

Anyway, Wrath should be a serious threat to a Submerged party.

King Bradley (In A Submarine)

High Concept: Homunculus Fuhrer Of Amestris
Other Aspects: Getting Old, Loves His Wife, Born And Raised To Serve Father, Ultimate Eye, Cheerful Facade, Invincible Master Of The Sword
Skills:

Fantastic: Weapons, Alertness
Superb: Presence, Athletics
Great: Deceit, Rapport
Good: Endurance, Conviction, Empathy
Fair: Fists, Might, Discipline
Average: Lore, Investigation, Scholarship, Stealth, Intimidation
Stunts:
Secret Homunculus (Deceit): +2 to Deceit when hiding his true nature.
The Weight Of Reputation (Presence): May use Presence to intimidate as long as his identity is known.
Leadership (Presence): Leading a group is at +1 and happens one time increment faster.
At A Glance (Alertness): May use Alertness to perform a visual examination of the sort normally performed with Investigation.
A Few Seconds Ahead (Alertness): May use Alertness to defend against social attacks.
Master Of The Battlefield (Weapons): May use Weapons +1 to make assessments and declarations related to fighting.
Footwork (Weapons): May use Weapons to defend against ranged attacks.
Perfect Parry (Weapons): +2 to Weapons defence when armed with a sword.
Multi-Wielding (Weapons): May wield a second weapon and add half its weapon rating to that of his primary weapon.
Superior Multi-Wielding (Weapons): +1 to hit when wielding multiple weapons.
Master Of The Sword (Weapons): Attacks with swords inflict +2 stress.
Powers:
Marked By Power (Father/Amestris) [-1]
True Aim [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Ultimate Eye [-3?] Free tag every exchange in combat.
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Hehe, cool work on that so far ^^  Just wanted to mention though that the previously mentioned ability Abby had was a Minor Power, with a -1 refresh.  It also worked on both Social and Physical events.  Was this a new idea you had by chance?

And while I understand the means for trying to stat out The Ultimate Eye, I wouldn't worry too much about a Refresh on it...  Once you start statting it out TOO much, you may have players trying to get in on using something similar to it, and honestly, its definatly something that should stay out of player hands >.<  But for THIS particular villain, its understandable..  I'd also maybe move to say the free Tag the eye presents is either "limited" to his own aspect of "Ultimate Eye" or it provides one, "The Eye Sees All" or something similar perhaps...
my 2 cents

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 04:53:29 AM »
Thank you and you're welcome.

Anyway, I don't like Abby's power. I like stunts and when powers come along and make them completely useless I get sad. So I chose not to use it. Besides, Wrath has 9 defence with Weapons and 6 with Athletics, so he doesn't need a defence of 6 with Alertness.

jybil's points about the ultimate eye are totally correct, by the way. The tag should be restricted to his Ultimate Eye aspect. Of course, that's a very broadly applicable aspect so it doesn't matter much. And yes, players should be kept away from this. But I wanted Bradley to have exactly 1 refresh in order to represent that he has only a small amount of free will. In order to give him 1 refresh, I had to have a definite cost for everything.

It's very possible that there is more to Bradley than this. I haven't read the whole series. So if anyone has anything to add, I'd appreciate it.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 05:21:14 AM »
Shadow Manipulation [-1]
Description: You are able to use your shadow to physically manipulate objects, not only that but your shadow is malleable to your will. You can stretch it across great distances or coalesce it into a small area.
Options: This ability costs 1 refresh to start and has several upgrades to it.
Skills Affected: Fists, Might
Effects:
Shadowy Hand. You can manipulate objects with your shadow. You can lift objects in accordance with your might, and attack using fists. In addition if you possess inhuman strength or greater your shadow gains those benefits as well.
Deeper Shadows [-1]. Increase the weapon rating of attacks made with your shadows by +2.
Lasting Shadows [-1]. Your shadows take longer to dissipate, allowing you to spread your attention across a battlefield. Any aspect placed with Shadow Manipulation automatically becomes sticky.
Wall of Shadows [-1]. Your shadows have become so dense, so impenetrable that creatures without the cloak of shadows ability are almost utterly incapable of seeing past them. You may use your Shadow Manipulation to create a defensive block opposed by alertness.
Shadows Fall [-1]. Your shadow is capable of growing much larger than it should be, allowing you to attack a whole zone with it (at a -2 penalty).

I was thinking of using the above power for Pride with an addition of Mythic Strength a so she would have a +8 weapon attack to everyone in Area is about though not quite as lethal as the source it still pretty potent.

Pride Powers would be
-5 Shadow Manipulation
-6 Mythic Strength
-5 Mythic Regeneration (catch Philospher Stone)
-4 Supernatural Speed
-4 Mimic Abilities
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:02:06 AM by bitterpill »

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 05:59:21 PM »
I don't like that custom power much, but don't let that stop you from using it.

Anyway, Pride should have solid Deceit, Intimidation, and Fists. Not many stunts, maybe just one offering a bonus to Deceit when pretending to be a harmless child. Human Form would also probably be appropriate, perhaps with a limitation about the level of light in the area.

Other than that, your writeup looks good.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 02:10:03 AM »
Its hard to stat shadow manipulation the closest thing to it would be a form of channeling but with no mental stress limit? Do you know a good way to stat something that lethal which dosen't require stress?

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 10:19:27 PM »
What you have there is actually a good start. But there are problems with it, both in the version you have and in the one on the Custom Powers thread. The problems that I see with the one you have there are as follows:

1. The range is unclear.
2. Might be too cheap if compared to Breath Weapon.
3. You should be able to grapple with shadows.
4. Lasting Shadows is weak, and not worth a refresh point.
5. The effects of Wall Of Shadows are unclear. The effect might be better as part of the base power.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 10:38:36 PM »
Shadow Manipulation [-3]
You can manipulate your shadow to become a powerful weapon, Shadow manipulation has range of up three zones away and counts as +2 weapon attack, it's attack roll is Discipline or fists and it's Might score is Conviction or Might. It can be used for anything that a normal limb could be used for including Grappling as well as being able to ambush the enemy using disipline as its stealth roll. (This power may be benefited by the Strength Powers)

The shadows have eyes [-2] The Prerequisite Power for this ability is Cloak of Shadow
You do not need to see your opponents to attack them with shadow manipualtion as long as you are within the three zone radius as your shadow can see for you, this also means your shadow can make awareness checks as if you were there in person.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:29:18 AM by bitterpill »

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 01:18:08 AM »
I more or less like it, but there are still a few quibbles.

First, the base power could be cheaper since it seems to already include several add-ons.
Second, it isn't clear whether this works with Strength powers. If it does, then Razor Shadow and Crushing Shadow might need to be removed.
Third, The Shadows Have Eyes looks too expensive to me. I don't see why it couldn't cost one refresh.
Fourth, it might be better to let people use either their Fists/Might or their Discipline/Conviction as they choose.

This might sound negative, but I promise that I don't mean it that way.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 01:30:10 AM »
Third, The Shadows Have Eyes looks too expensive to me. I don't see why it couldn't cost one refresh.

For one Refresh, one could purchase the Supernatural Sense power, which, I believe, would allow one to see in the dark.

The shadows have eyes [-3]
You do not need to see your opponents to attack them with shadow manipualtion as long as you are within the three zone radius as your shadow can see for you, this also means your shadow can make awareness checks as if you were there in person.

That said, this seems quite a bit more powerful than Supernatural Sense to me. It would probably be a low-Complexity Thaumaturgy effect (maybe 13-16 shifts), but an at-will three-zone-long Darkvision with the implied Remote Sensing effect (some of those Zones may have perception borders) is certainly worth at least 2 Refresh. 3 may even be too low.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 01:43:10 AM »
Really? How often will seeing three zones away be useful enough to justify that cost?

Maybe -2. I can understand why it would cost -2. But -3 is a lot, equal to Evocation, Thaumaturgy, or a dozen ordinary supernatural senses.

By the way, as written that power doesn't let you see in the dark. I think that maybe Cloak Of Shadows ought to be a prerequisite for this power.

Regardless, I think that Pride should have Cloak Of Shadows.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 01:50:37 AM »
Really? How often will seeing three zones away be useful enough to justify that cost?

Maybe -2. I can understand why it would cost -2. But -3 is a lot, equal to Evocation, Thaumaturgy, or a dozen ordinary supernatural senses.

By the way, as written that power doesn't let you see in the dark. I think that maybe Cloak Of Shadows ought to be a prerequisite for this power.

When it says that the Shadow can make awareness checks for you, three zones away, in the dark, I infer (perhaps wrongly so) that it imparts the equivalent of seeing three zones away in the dark. Which is very handy when you're three zones away from danger you ordinarily wouldn't be able to see. Also, from the lack of a direct reference to intervening perception barriers, I infer that it is akin to Remote Viewing.

Bitterpill, would someone with this ability be able to see around corners three zones away because they are seeing through the shadows? Or is it really just darkvision, and a physical barrier could still block perception?

Always a good ability!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:56:00 AM by devonapple »

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 01:55:11 AM »
I repeat: as written, it doesn't let you see in the dark. But even if it did, it would still only be the equivalent of three supernatural senses: one to see in the dark, one to see around corners (I also think that it can do that), and one to see from up to three zones away. Three senses together is worth 2 refresh.

Of course, it's weaker if Cloak of Shadows is made a prerequisite the way that I'm starting to think it should.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 01:56:35 AM »
The reason I made the base power -3 was because Breath Weapon another weapon 2 long range attack had a lower range than shadow manipulation and also did not have the Ambushing Benefit which can be looked at as like a stunt swapping a stealth roll for a fists or discipline roll which accounts for the additional plus 1 refresh over Breath Weapon.

The reason the shadows have eyes is so expensive is because it allows a player 3 zones away in hiding to attack the enemy freely at 'safe' distance which means that he will probably be able to attack the enemy several times before they even find him. This is a very big advantage and one that might even be worth four refresh. It is akin to remote viewing as your shadow can move round corners etc and relay what it see's directly to you it would be able to see in the dark being a shadow, think of it as being able to see through the eyes of a familiar with an effective range of 3 zones.

I will add the fact that shadow manipulation can be used with both discipline or fists and might or conviction thanks that is good advice, the fact the power could be used with conviction was the main reason I included crushing Shadow to give it some of the bonuses it could not get through the strength powers.  

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:00:05 AM by bitterpill »

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 01:59:38 AM »
Of course, it's weaker if Cloak of Shadows is made a prerequisite the way that I'm starting to think it should.

Taking into account bitterpill's update, I could possibly justify a 1-Refresh discount for already having Cloak of Shadows.