Author Topic: Additional mild consquences...?  (Read 4059 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Additional mild consquences...?
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:09:28 PM »
I just need a quick answer on this one.  I've looked through the books and I cannot find a thing.

I saw someone in the forums here say that at 5 stress physical stess boxes, a character gets an additional mild consequence.  This this true?  I believe they said it was 2 at 7 stress boxes.

Thanks.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
Re: Additional mild consquences...?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »
The maximum number of stress boxes you can have from skills alone is 4, which is reached ad a skill level of +3.

For each additional two levels in the relevant skill, you get one additional mild consequence.

Skill at +3  -> 4 Stress
Skill at +5  -> 4 Stress + 1 mild
Skill at +7  -> 4 Stress + 2 mild

See also: YS:68 & YS:130
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:59:38 PM by Tsunami »

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
The maximum number of stress boxes you can have from skills alone is 4, which is reached ad a skill level of +3.

For each additional two levels in the relevant skill, you get one additional mild consequence.

Skill at +3  -> 4 Stress
Skill at +5  -> 4 Stress + 1 mild
Skill at +7  -> 4 Stress + 2 mild

See also: YS:68 & YS:130

Good to know - thank you.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline infusco

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 05:45:13 PM »
Yup. Don't forget the 'freebie' mild consequence you can clear away as a supplemental action one or more times per scene from Recovery powers.

Now if you really want to burn your brain, try this one: You get a Fate point for every consequence taken in a conflict, right? Does this include the additional mild consequences from skills and powers? What about those consequences that are downgraded after the fight so that some of them disappear entirely. Do you cash out and get Fate points from consequences you've actually taken during the fight, or just the ones that actually remain after the fight?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:51:53 PM by infusco »

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
It is also possible to get 1 stress box and/or 1 mild consequence from stunts.
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 05:59:08 PM »
Yup. Don't forget the 'freebie' mild consequence you can clear away as a supplemental action one or more times per scene from Recovery powers.

Now if you really want to burn your brain, try this one: You get a Fate point for every consequence taken in a conflict, right? Does this include the additional mild consequences from skills and powers? What about those consequences that are downgraded after the fight so that some of them disappear entirely. Do you cash out and get Fate points from consequences you've actually taken during the fight, or just the ones that actually remain after the fight?

I've been thinking about this one. People get those consequence slots through Refresh spent on Stunts and Powers, at the expense of being able to do other things.  My gut reaction is to say that you get the Fate Point for those consequences that would have gone away otherwise, but I think playtesting is a good idea, and I wouldn't argue with anyone who thought it was too Munchkin, as it could be seen as getting Fate Points back from the Refresh spent on those Stunts/Powers.

That said, racking up Consequences sounds like a fun game, but those Aspects can be Compelled or Invoked by the GM, so you really are adding more options for plot complication (most of which are also - you guessed it - earning new Fate Points).
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline infusco

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »
I've been thinking about this one. People get those consequence slots through Refresh spent on Stunts and Powers, at the expense of being able to do other things.  My gut reaction is to say that you get the Fate Point for those consequences that would have gone away otherwise, but I think playtesting is a good idea, and I wouldn't argue with anyone who thought it was too Munchkin, as it could be seen as getting Fate Points back from the Refresh spent on those Stunts/Powers.

That said, racking up Consequences sounds like a fun game, but those Aspects can be Compelled or Invoked by the GM, so you really are adding more options for plot complication (most of which are also - you guessed it - earning new Fate Points).

Yup. Although the first invoke by the enemy does get a free tag and hence no Fate points.
My concern is how it would affect players' roleplaying their characters when they start metagaming their way to more Fate points.

A wizard, a mortal cop, and an experienced WCV with Supernatural Recovery are completely surrounded by 30 trained special forces guys carrying automatic rifles and rocket launchers.

Wizard: Sh*t! I surrender!
Cop: Okay, if the wizard is saying no way, then I'll take his side.
WCV: Bring it on, bitches! *automatic fire streaks out* Oh my arm, that freaking stings! Damn, my leg! Holy Jesus, there goes my liver! And spleen! Okay ... okay ... I surrender! Ooof ... I feel much better now. Yo, give me my 4 fate points, please! Thanks!

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
It occurs to me I need to look up how GM's can use fate Points. I know GM's get the fate points characters use up but do they then get to use them for NPC's? I'd guess so In any case how much fate does the GM get to begin with or is it by non-player character? In which case NPC's with negative Refresh are kind of boned...well except for the whole ultimate cosmic power thing.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline infusco

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »
It occurs to me I need to look up how GM's can use fate Points. I know GM's get the fate points characters use up but do they then get to use them for NPC's? I'd guess so In any case how much fate does the GM get to begin with or is it by non-player character? In which case NPC's with negative Refresh are kind of boned...well except for the whole ultimate cosmic power thing.

Most NPCs don't have Fate points. The bigger baddies might have a couple. The Big Evil Bad Guy will have a boatload. I think the refresh rate bit is primarily aimed at player characters as a balancing measure between supernatural hard hitters and fragile mortals.

Also, remember that free tags don't need Fate points, so if you take a consequence, even Joe Red Shirt firing at you can tag it if he's the first to try.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »

GM's get to use as many fate points as they want to.  If you use fate points for an NPC, just make sure you set how many it gets.  How many you give any NPC to start with is as many as you need to in order to make them fulfill the role you need them to fill.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
GM's get to use as many fate points as they want to.  If you use fate points for an NPC, just make sure you set how many it gets.  How many you give any NPC to start with is as many as you need to in order to make them fulfill the role you need them to fill.

GM Fate Point use can be pretty loose.
A) GMs can just work from a pile of Fae Points, assigning them to each NPC as desired, and those are usually being funneled back to the players anyway.
B) GMs can also run their NPCs like players, taking Fate Points from player Invokes/Compels and assigning them to the NPCs for use in later scenes, at which time they are usually being handed back to the players anyway.
C) The GM could do a combination of either. It may look like cheating, but if the players are still getting Fate Points for enemy Invokes/Compels, then the players are still benefiting. The only difference is how nasty things are getting.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »
It is also possible to get 1 stress box

can you get me the page number where that is, for th elife of me i cant find it.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 02:43:47 AM »
I don't believe that there is a specific statement in the core book that says you can buy a stress box with a stunt.

However, many people think that it is appropriate. And it probably is, as long as you aren't a wizard taking an extra box of mental stress.

This idea might come from the fact that the difference between 3 stress and 4 stress is 2 skill points. Therefore, a stunt that can offer +2 to a single skill trapping might be able to add a stress box.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 03:56:52 AM »
I don't believe that there is a specific statement in the core book that says you can buy a stress box with a stunt.

However, many people think that it is appropriate. And it probably is, as long as you aren't a wizard taking an extra box of mental stress.

This idea might come from the fact that the difference between 3 stress and 4 stress is 2 skill points. Therefore, a stunt that can offer +2 to a single skill trapping might be able to add a stress box.

Players can use stunts to get more mild consequences.  I don't understand why someone might not just do that.

There is a player in my campaign with a stunt that gives him two extra physical mild consequences.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 04:05:57 AM »
No Pain no Gain is only one mild physcial concequence now they retconned it.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain