Author Topic: Mjöllnir  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
Mjöllnir
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »
So I was pondering about new characters to create when a thought struck me. What if an average mortal found thor's legendary hammer? So I'm going to have a character that's ex-military, who during his first encounter with the supernatural, finds the legendary hammer and uses it to laeth down the smack on (insert baddy here). I'm thinking that the hammer can grants at least inhuman strength and maybe inhuman recovery. Any other idea's about what the hammer might be able to grant it's wielder?

Offline Doc Chaos

• Posty McPostington
  • He who cannot deny Fate
    • View Profile
Re: Mjöllnir
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »
Surely there is not another language that is so slipshod and systemless, and so slippery and elusive to the grasp.
-from 'The awful German language' by Mark Twain

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:53:18 AM »

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »
Both of which are mine, one just has an ability the other doesn't. ;)

And the hammer wouldn't grant strength (had that conversation when I first made the hammer), that was the job of Thor's belt Megingjoro.

Here's the "complete" Mjolnir I worked on and the other two items of Thor.

Mjolnir
"The Bigger They Are...": as All Creatures Equal Before a God with a Hammer
It's a BIG Hammer: Weapon:3, reasoning is that it was intended to be a two handed weapon.
The Weight of Responsibility: as Divine Purpose. When not being properly wielded, Mjolnir becomes an unwieldy weight that cannot be lifted by normal means. Proper use of Mjolnir includes:
1. Protect Mankind.
2. Combat the enemies of the Aesir.
3. Display bravery and valor in battle, while shunning cowardice in all its forms.
Bearing the Burden: In the event the hammer becomes an unwieldy weight, for a Fate Point, the bearer can use Mjolnir for a scene with all combat rolls made a -2 (effectively canceling True Aim and making rolls at -1 of the actual skill).
Restoration: In the event the hammer becomes an unwieldy weight or damaged, the bearer must prove their courage to restore the hammer and/or earn the right to wield Mjolnir once again.
True Aim
Shocking: as Holy, except with Lightning.
Unbreakable
Never Far From Reach: Mjolnir can be thrown as a weapon up to 2 zones away (instead of the standard 1). Upon striking or missing, it returns to its owner's hand on the following exchange. This ability only works when the hammer is thrown. If the hammer caught, stuck, or taken from the bearer the hammer will not magically return.
One Time Discount: +2 (It's awkward to hide, thus fairly easy to detect)
Total Cost: -4 (including +2)

Megingjoro
It's a Belt: Megingjoro takes the form of a wolf-hide belt.
Thunder's Strength: grants Inhuman Strength.
Note 1: The bearer loses access to Inhuman Strength when not in physical contact with Megingjoro.
Note 2: If the bearer already possess a Strength power, increase it one step (e.g. Inhuman to Supernatural or Supernatural to Mythic).
Note 3: Those with Mythic Strength can Lift an object as if it were 2 shifts lighter and gain an additional +1 bonus to Breaking.
Unbreakable
Note: Megingjoro is not required to wield Mjolnir
Total Cost: -2

Jarngreipr
It's a Gauntlet: Jarngreipr is a single gauntlet.
Physical Immunity (Electricity)
The Catch (Not Electricity)
Note: The bearer loses access to Physical Immunity (Electricity) when not in physical contact with Jarngreipr.
Unbreakable
Note: Jarngreipr is not required to wield Mjolnir
Total Cost: -3

Jarngreipr is the only one that bothers me, I couldn’t figure out what abilities it should impart… so Immunity to electricity seemed a good bet. The Immunity is partially a carry over to an older version of Mjolnir that had Channeling (Air) attached to it, so the user could make zone electric attacks without worrying about harming himself. I wish I could think of  some better abilities for the gauntlet to give.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:26:30 AM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »
What I remember from mythology about the hammer, it could grow or shrink in size, it never missed a target and always came back to the user who throw it.
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
Never missing is a bit much, and in my opinion broken. Never Far From Reach (which covers the ability for it to return) with True Aim (which covers it hitting better) is more than reasonable (just weather Never Far From Reach is a -1 or -2 ability has come up in a recent game).

You want it to grow and shrink in size, then change the rebate from +2 to +1 to allow you to conceal it. Mjolnir is potentially a very expensive item of power, -5 to -6 using my build (with the ability to conceal it and depending on the GMs ruling of Never Far From Reach).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:38:11 AM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline HappyDaze

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »
I'd love to see the Sword of Frey - the one that can fight on its own - statted up.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
So I was pondering about new characters to create when a thought struck me. What if an average mortal found thor's legendary hammer? So I'm going to have a character that's ex-military, who during his first encounter with the supernatural, finds the legendary hammer and uses it to laeth down the smack on (insert baddy here). I'm thinking that the hammer can grants at least inhuman strength and maybe inhuman recovery. Any other idea's about what the hammer might be able to grant it's wielder?

The hammer wouldn't give strength. And infact a standard mortal couldn't lift it. Its massive weight and short handle preclude mortals from lifting it (even thor needs a belt and gloves that boost his strength in order to wield it properly).

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 05:14:13 AM »
Some pretty good idea's. I didn't know about the belt or the gauntlets so i may throw those in there. As for the hammer itself, I'm going to go more with what tradition says and say that its not a huge two handed marvel comics kind of hammer but rather a blacksmith style hammer that's meant to be used one handed. As for the shrinking bit and the so heavy a man couldn't lift it, I'm going to throw those into the realm of pure myth. I think those characteristics focus open the god that Thor (insanely strong and perhaps crafty in the realm of deception like his father). I think the True Aim and Never Far From Reach are acceptable. True aim for accuracy and Never Far From Reach meaning that the hammer will return to the users hand after its thrown (which is as far as the bearer can throw the weapon itself). So the hammer should be treated the same as one of the Swords the Cross with a few minor adjustments here or there. Quite honestly in relation to the books I don't think that the hammer would be as powerful as the swords provided by the White God since these weapons are faith based. As for the character himself, I'm planning on making him a scion of Thor, and giving him Inhuman Strength and Toughness in that way. The write up should follow shortly.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 02:00:12 AM »
I would think that you could easily justify having or getting supernatural strength if you wanted it, don't know if you do or not.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 02:17:45 AM »
As for the hammer itself, I'm going to go more with what tradition says and say that its not a huge two handed marvel comics kind of hammer but rather a blacksmith style hammer that's meant to be used one handed.

Actually, the traditional Mjolnir (which means "crusher" in old Norse) was a huge, 2 handed hammer, with a shortened handle.
   Loki cut off Sifs hair, and to avert Thor's rage, he promised to go to the great dwarf smith's and return with new golden hair for Sif, aswell as gifts for Odin, Freyr and Thor himself.
   Upon reaching the hall, Loki bet the dwarf that he couldn't craft these objects of unsurpassed perfection. The stake for this bet was Loki's head.
   The Dwarf began forging the gifts (which requires him to never cease working the bellows)and Loki decided to cheat to insure his victory.
    Loki, in disguise as a fly, comes and bites Brokkr on the arm but Brokkr continues to blow. Then Eitri takes out Gullinbursti which is Freyr's boar with shining golden bristles.
   Then Eitri puts some gold in the furnace. Loki in the fly guise comes again and bites Brokkr's neck twice as hard. But as before nothing happens and Eitri takes out Draupnir, Odin's armring, with the power to create 9 duplicates of itself every ninth night.
   Eitri then puts iron in the forge to create a mighty warhammer and tells Brokkr to never stop blowing. Loki comes again and bites Brokkr on the eyelid much harder than before and the blood makes him stop blowing for a short while. When Eitri comes and takes out Mjöllnir, the handle is a bit short (making it one handed).
   Loki brings the gifts back to Asgard assured in his victory, as the shortened handle of the warhammer would make it impossible to wield. However, upon presenting the hammer to mighty Thor, he declares it perfect, as the shortened handle will allow him to wield it one handed (with the aid of his girdle and gauntlets of strength) and thus swing it more swiftly.
   The gods declare the Dwarves the victor and Lokis head forfeit, but at the last moment, Odin decrees that while the wager was for Lokis head, it said nothing of his neck. And therefore if they caused any harm to his neck, the Aesir would be forced to kill them.
   Thus, cheated out of their reward the Dwarves settled for sewing Lokis mouth shut to teach him a lesson.

So, really the traditional Myth of Mjolnir (and most depictions of it) are of a massive maul with a short handle.

Now I do agree that it should return to the thrower, and that it should have a high weapon rating. but I also think it should require at least supernatural strength to wield (maybe Mythic to throw), probably should satisfy the catch on all giants and trolls (Thor was predominantly a giant killer) and maybe give it the power to call lightning (its the ultimate symbol of thors power).
   That last brings me to the most important question. How is anyone going to get it away from Thor?  

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 02:37:47 AM »
Well Odin himself did make mention that all of his kind don't remember exactly who they are. So maybe thor forgot who he was and odin just decided to make sure that the hammer was still being put in play.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 03:31:44 AM »
Well Odin himself did make mention that all of his kind don't remember exactly who they are. So maybe thor forgot who he was and odin just decided to make sure that the hammer was still being put in play.
That's how my game did it.

I'm also firmly against strength requirements for the hammer within the game.

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 05:26:03 AM »
What is your reasoning for the not having the strength requirement if you dont mind my asking?

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 05:34:38 AM »

That makes sense. I could see that interpretation. but I read it more that, as worship of the Aesir declined, some of them stopped standing vigil against ragnarok, and kinda just went their own way to do their own thing.
    Thats how I ran it in my game, Thor was just slumming it as the owner of a biker bar in San Francisco.