Author Topic: Physical appearence of a Changeling  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Physical appearence of a Changeling
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:40:57 AM »
In the Template for the Changeling (YS74), the rules say:

"In play, this means that any time a changeling purchases new powers, it comes with a clear alteration of the changeling’s body, moving him towards a more fae appearance in line with that of his faerie parent (like suddenly growing horns or hooves and so on)."

Does this mean that most of the Powers taken by the Changeling affects the physical appearence of the character (when applicable, of course)?

I would assume that the character ought to choose "Glamours" as one of the abilities in case he or she would like to be able to move around among "normal people".

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Physical appearence of a Changeling
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:59:33 AM »
Human Guise is a 0 refresh power that makes you look human.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »
You could definitely take Human Guise.  I don't know if I would allow a player to however, I think that the change to looking more and more fae is part of the downsides of the template.  The ability to just pick up powers mid-session is pretty powerful and this is a way to limit it a little.  If you want to still appear to be human with a high refresh changeling, then you should invest in Glamours.

Offline Motman

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:17:49 PM »
I would allow it especially if the changeling character had at least the Glamours power.  The catch I would have with it is that any iron or steel object touching them requires a discipline roll to maintain the seeming.
I watch Too much Anime

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »
to me it would actually depend on the type of Fae. If they look kinda human maybe suggest they don't take anything. I would think it would be a way to get more compels. One of my players is looking at playing a small toot-toot like faerie and I'm going to suggest that he doesn't look human for narrative purposes.
"The door is ajar"

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 12:05:04 AM »
Dude, if fairies, vampires, ghouls, and lord knows what else can run around in human looking bodies, then it seems mean to deprive a player of that right.  All of my groups changeling characters start with human guise, and many take human form instead.  Human form is cool; they cant use their powers unless they hulk out.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:40:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I would say that Human Guise does the trick, especially as it goes away the moment the character uses his or her powers.

Glamours might work as well.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 03:43:10 AM »
Glamor would absolutely work.  Seemings.  And most creatures that try to blend in, do have human guise, human form, or flesh mask... or are Sidhe, and likely have glamors. :)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 07:35:31 AM »
Personally, I think it'd be more fun to have the players come up with alternate ways to hide their supernatural side.  Horns?  Grow long hair, or wear a hat all the time.  Hooves?  Long pants and fake shoes.  Green hair?  You dyed it.  Grew wings?  fold 'em up in a backpack, or something.

That's closest to what we see of the four Changelings in White Knight, anyway.  None of them have the mystical ability to hide their form.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 07:38:23 AM »
Personally, I think it'd be more fun to have the players come up with alternate ways to hide their supernatural side.  Horns?  Grow long hair, or wear a hat all the time.  Hooves?  Long pants and fake shoes.  Green hair?  You dyed it.  Grew wings?  fold 'em up in a backpack, or something.

That's closest to what we see of the four Changelings in White Knight, anyway.  None of them have the mystical ability to hide their form.

None of them had more then an odd hair color and possibly an abnormal physique (Meryl being a hulk and Lily being hot). There is a difference between possible dye and horns and hooves.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 07:57:47 AM »
MijRai, but then again, all those changelings were very close to humanity.  Or at least, seemed to be in my view.  But then again, when you embrace the change, it's permanent.

I'm not a huge fan of the "have to choose a side" idea, which is why I offer "human form" option.  much like were-forms, pure human in one, and pure fae in the other.  Conviction checks to switch back and forth if the situation warrants it.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 08:08:39 AM »
I'll admit it, the half-ogre NPC in my game has Human Guise--because his changeling form is ten feet tall, and it makes it easier (I rationalize it as a rote glamour).  It's also lead to a few crowning moments of funny, when he's failed the discipline check to stay at 6' 6"... and suddenly the car had a sunroof.  It was also a fun way to break a grapple.   

Remember, if they have human guise, it's just a mask, and they run the risk of getting flustered and blowing it at an emotional high moment. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 08:28:17 AM »
Uh, Human Guise doesn't change your height. It is just an illusion. So, he shouldn't have fit in the car in the first place, much less shapeshifted into something that makes a sun-roof.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 03:22:25 PM »
 :-[ Yeah, I realize that now, but he was one of the first characters I built in the system when I was still learning, so it's been grandfathered in.

Point I was trying to make is, allowing changelings to have a disguise power like Human Guise allows for RP opportunities when that disguise fails.
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Motman

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Atlanta
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 05:11:21 PM »
Uh, Human Guise doesn't change your height. It is just an illusion. So, he shouldn't have fit in the car in the first place, much less shapeshifted into something that makes a sun-roof.

Yeah, I took it to mean that the ability does not change the character's mass.  Shapeshifting is required to add or subtract mass to/from the Nevernever.
I watch Too much Anime