Author Topic: Catch Ideas  (Read 9984 times)

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Catch Ideas
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 03:32:42 AM »
cold-forged-iron

Also, there's no such thing.  Iron is far far too brittle to be hammered into a useful shape by pure strength.  Cold-forged is a term without meaning.  It just sounds impressive.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 03:47:05 AM »
Pardon me, but aren't the fairy tale references to cold iron intended to be cold-forged-iron?  That is, iron that has been beaten into shape with pure strength using a hammer, and without the use of fire at all.  This would be a thing more rare than a common tire iron. 

i doubt that's it at all because its not just iron that can be used in GP (if my memory serves me) Harry used depleted uranium against Lea
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 04:00:03 AM »
i doubt that's it at all because its not just iron that can be used in GP (if my memory serves me) Harry used depleted uranium against Lea

His depleted uranium was mixed with iron filings, according to him.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 04:40:12 AM »
It can be Iron alloys though. Steel seems to upset them as well.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 04:43:12 AM »
One of the big reasons iron is the bane of faeries, is that they are associated with nature, and that metal interfers with the magical flow of nature.  It's a common theme in a lot of mythology, and is part of why D&D druids cannot wear metal.

And yes, the "ghost dust" that harry used had depleted uranium, iron filings and one other thing, IIRC.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 08:11:34 AM »
Also, there's no such thing.  Iron is far far too brittle to be hammered into a useful shape by pure strength.  Cold-forged is a term without meaning.  It just sounds impressive.

That is not entirely correct. Normal iron cannot be cold-worked effectively. Meteoric iron on the other hand can; there are artefacts made of meteoric iron from as early as 5.000 BC. That was the original cold-forged iron, also known as thunderbolt iron and starmetal.

The mythological sword Balmung, who slew the dragon Fanfir, was made of meteoric iron.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 04:13:38 PM »
That is not entirely correct. Normal iron cannot be cold-worked effectively. Meteoric iron on the other hand can; there are artefacts made of meteoric iron from as early as 5.000 BC. That was the original cold-forged iron, also known as thunderbolt iron and starmetal.

The mythological sword Balmung, who slew the dragon Fanfir, was made of meteoric iron.

kudos for the random knowledge drop haha  ;D
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 04:43:09 AM »
Catch ideas...

Hmmm...

For Mythic Toughness and Physical Immunity

Cannot be harmed...
...while the Sun shines in the sky or during the dark of Night (dawn and twilight, you're up!)
...by the arms and fists of man.  (kicking works wonders, though)
...by neither man nor woman. (take a guess)
...by either the clothed or the nude.  (a classic, and the usual loophole is to wear a fishing net)

Other, more generic ideas:

Can be harmed greatly by...
...a sword of glass.  (obsidian qualifies)
...a non-magical fire of green or blue flame.
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 04:44:47 AM »
I played a character once, drawing on the myths of the children of Gaea in greek myth, whose toughness and resilience lasted as long as he touched the ground.

Offline HappyDaze

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »
I have to agree that Cold Iron should have a +4 value as The Catch (assuming sufficient Recovery and/or Toughness powers).  It's an easy fix to make when it comes up (mainly with Changeling PCs).

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 02:11:22 PM »
Catch ideas...

Hmmm...

For Mythic Toughness and Physical Immunity

Cannot be harmed...
...while the Sun shines in the sky or during the dark of Night (dawn and twilight, you're up!)
...by the arms and fists of man.  (kicking works wonders, though)
...by neither man nor woman. (take a guess)
...by either the clothed or the nude.  (a classic, and the usual loophole is to wear a fishing net)

You know... sounds like I should just sic my dog on him at dawn or twilight.

No man can defeat me!
(Gets run over by a horse).

Offline easl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 05:45:05 PM »
Well the examples don't always follow the rules then.  Cold Iron is clearly a +4 catch.  It's easily acquired and anyone who knows anything about magic knows about faeries and cold iron.  For many of the little faeries it makes sense to be only +1 or +3 because you can't have a catch that equals your Toughness and Recovery together.  But an Elder Gruff still gets +3, despite his Supernatural Toughness and Inhuman Recovery.  Is this just a typo then?

That is not a typo, its just that the rules have successfully confused you. :)

While the catch applies to all toughness/recovery powers, you only get the cost reduction to one of your powers (the highest cost one), and the final refresh cost for that power can't go to 0, it must be -1.  You do not get a cost reduction to the whole package of powers, you just get it to one.

So for the Gruffs, their highest power is Supernatural (cost: -4), so at most they can receive +3 from their catch, even if the catch you design for them would technically give +4 catch.  It doesn't matter that they have 6 refresh of toughness/recovery powers, the catch "rebate" is limited by their single highest one.

In short, if your highest power is Inhuman, no matter what catch you take its only going to be worth +1.  If your highest power is Supernatural, max catch rebate is +3.  If you highest power is Mythic, max catch rebate is +5.

You can house-rule it differently, of course, but them's the rules as written.

Offline HappyDaze

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 09:22:25 PM »
That's incorrect. The Catch  value limit is based on the total of Recovery and Toughness, not to the higher of the two.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »
Yeah, Happydaze is right. YS185:
You must specify something that
bypasses your Toughness abilities. This will
give you a discount on the total cost of any
and all Toughness category powers that you
take,
based on how likely it is that the Catch
will be met in play. Add all the relevant
discounts from the list below:

Offline Motman

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Atlanta
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 04:29:09 AM »
It can be Iron alloys though. Steel seems to upset them as well.

Yeah, meteoric iron is an alloy of cobalt, iron, and nickle.  I think it is around 70 to 80% iron so it would be pretty easy to say that any iron alloy that is around 70% iron would affect a faerie creature as their catch.
I watch Too much Anime